This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How much image-widening goes into your mixes?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Ice Man, Aug 31, 2007.

1. BattleTits

BattleTits Member

Man, I literally posted about on this very page.

2. metalkingdom

metalkingdom the kinder, gentler me

BattleTits = Methlab??? That S-1 trick sounds familiar...:cool:

3. brandy

brandy Iguana Hell

Don't use stereo widening plugins! But sometimes a tiny bit can be cool... Try it on synth. From time to time i use a stereo processor in mastering - but only about 5% or something around that.

The key of a stereo-sounding mix etc (as described above) is NOT to hardpan everything in the first place. It is done by a proper recording first. I don't know why, but most home-studio guys are recording everything in mono! Try to record more true-stereo stuff. If there are some acousic instruments: Record them in stereo! Be carefull to record a decent stereo image of the drums - using the overheads and the room mics.

In the mixing stage the key is proper use of early reflections and modulation stuff... Well balanced instruments/frequencys. Not clipping everything with gclip and stuff.

I noticed that the main difference you can hear between cheap recording equipment and quality gear (mic pres, converters...) is in the stereo image.

As i swaped my old and trusty Motu 24i to the Lynx Aurora 16 i didn't realized a huge difference frequency wise (a mono-snaretrack just sounded like bevore) - but the 3dimensionality of a stereo track (full mix, classic recording etc) increased A LOT!! As well as it seems that the decent recorded tracks will stay "3dimensional" even with a lot of processing, the cheap recorded tracks will imediatelly soundn flat and lifeless after processing a lot.

brandy

4. BattleTits

BattleTits Member

haha..props to you man..I like this name better though!

Can't believe you remembered that I posted that. :worship: