This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How Much You Bench?

Discussion in 'RC' started by Furious B, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Furious B

Furious B KILL EVERYBODY

So this next year I'm boing to try to bulk up a bit (current WEIGHT 160 lbs. ---> 185 WEIGHT target goial 2008 baby) and don't just want to put on beer gut. this thread is specifically targeted towards DOOMCIFER if he'd be so kind ot respond, but is also an open forum (ERIK STAY OUT).

what to eat? how much? what exercises to do? how many reps? can this be accomplished at home?

i'm a student of anatomy so i kind of have an understanding of how muscles work, their function, ect.

I'm thinking routine is going to be: every other day arms/upper body (curls, bench, tricep extensions/explosions or whatever they're called, forearm exercises), then every other day lower body (squats?).

thoughts? suggestions?

EDIT: Those figures are my weight, NOT how much I bench. i just want to put on more weioght in my arms and legs, specifically, but to keep in proportion I'll probably have3 to work on it all. I really don't care how much I bench. just thought it was a funny title.

2. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious extra runny brings the funny

I've always been terrible at benching. :(
    Im a curling machine though. lol

3. Furious B

Furious B KILL EVERYBODY

i bet you got some beastly pipes tho.

4. Krigloch the Furious

this was mid september. I've been working on them since then

[​IMG] :lol:

5. J.

J. Old Fart

my most ever bench was 225 lbs, back when i was a senior in high school and before shoulder surgery.

nowadays im more interested in cardio workouts

6. Furious B

Furious B KILL EVERYBODY

I have pretty good cardio, but i look like an albino ethiopian when i run, so i need some more BEEF.

225 is pretty good.

7. Krigloch the Furious

yeah, 225 is awesome.
    thats it, im gonna start benching. time to kick some ass!

8. Furious B

Furious B KILL EVERYBODY

hella yea boi. you got this!

IT'S ALL YOU!!

9. Demilich

Demilich Member

i don't believe i've ever even tried to bench ANY amount of weight ever :erk:

10. Furious B

Furious B KILL EVERYBODY

we'll start you off with the bar

11. AsModEe

AsModEe also known as ass-mode

if I do endurance training, 185 lbs x 16 lifts (which is also my weight)

if I do strenght training, 225 x 6 lifts

I still dont know my maximum bench weight.....

12. jimbobhickville

jimbobhickville Tyrant in Distress

I think I maxed at about 235 my freshman year in college.

I read a pretty interesting article around then that was the summary of a study about maximum effective cooldown period by muscle. It was decided that larger muscles need a longer cooldown time after a workout to maximize muscle growth. So, this is what they recommended, and it worked well for me at the time (for weights, not cardio, since cardio is less damaging to the muscles, it can be done more often effectively):

Legs - every 6-7 days
    Chest - every 3-4 days
    Back - every 3-4 days
    Arms - every 2-3 days

Hope that helps.

13. Thanatopsis123

Thanatopsis123 白鬼

Well, you're right about doing upper body one day, and lower the next. If you want large muscles try to figure out the max weight you can do 3 sets of 5 reps with each exercise you're doing.

14. Guthrum

Guthrum Member

This thread should be helpful. I'm trying to get in shape before I join the Marines.

15. Thanatopsis123

Thanatopsis123 白鬼

Then stick to cardio and light weights. They want long, lean, flexible muscles in the military.

16. Reign in Acai

Reign in Acai Gnats before thy gums

You won't be able to do squats every other day unless your juicing on sustanon 250. (And even then it would be detrimental). But make this a focal point in your routine as it will naturally boost your testosterone secretion. So many people are top heavy, the reason for this is simple. They are too afraid to be seen walking around in public like they got fucked in the ass. This is ultimately the end result of such a taxing exercise, but it is a must. Remember your legs comprise two thirds of all the muscle inyour body.

:erk: I'd compound tri's with chest, and bi's w/ back (as those are both pulling exercises). Or you can dedicate one entire day to them and go full boar, just be aware that they are a smaller muscle group and do not need as much to develop as your larger areas.

Work one body part once a week and hit it hard for maximum results. Don't fall into the 29 pump chump mentality of loading up a bar with 5 lbs on each side, and thinking 50 reps will make you as ripped as Brad Pitt in fight club. The vascularity all comes from cardio and diet. Diet is 90% of the key. Also be advised that you won't be able to bulk and stay lean at the same time. That is why all bodybuilders go through a two season training regimen, one for bulking and building muscle, then a cutting phase to shed the fat and keep as much muscle that they gained as possible. Personally I'm only good at th bulking, I love food, who doesn't? :loco:

If I were you, I'd invest in a gym membership if you don't have one already, you are just so limited to what you can do at home. I myself only work on chest, shoulders at home. With my sole equipment being a dip station, a shoddy bench, and some curling bars. The gym membership is a necessity as this is where the squat racks lay my good man.

As far as eating goes, just have at it for a couple months, eat everything you see in sight. I'd personally suggest protein shakes loaded with a scoop of vanilla, eggo peanut butter waffle sandwiches, and meat by the Trylakos load. Oatmeal, whole eggs, (whites have the protein but very little nutritional value beyond), cold cuts, tuna fish, yadda yadda. Try to get atleast 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight Minimum, but shoot for 1.5 as that extra amount will make a Gojira sized difference.

This is just a broad formula, I don't want to get heavy winded.

I don't know precisely what my bench is, my shoddy ghettoset 2000 only holds 290 and I repped that for 3. So low 300's. Not really too impressive. It seems as if I hit a plateau for oh lets say the last 7 Fucking years. :erk:

But I'm trying to actually get the eye of the tiger back as my buddy said to me a month ago. "Hey man, I hate to tell it to you, but you're getting fat." Too much beer drinking the past 2 years. :erk:

Edit- Oh and before you start watch this video. If this doesn't motivate you, you have no soul! YouTube - Rocky II - Win!!

AsModEe likes this.
  17. Guthrum

Guthrum Member

That's what they told my friend when he told the recruiter he wanted to be a Recon Marine.

18. Reign in Acai

Reign in Acai Gnats before thy gums

They want them long and lean so they can't put up a fight against the drill instructor.

19. Krilons Resa

Krilons Resa High Infidelity

That was a good post RiA. I will dedicate more time to this thread later tonight when I have more time but I'll try to find a very short article that I wrote some 6 years ago. The best I ever benched (who cares LOL) was 325 for 10 full reps, so my max was somewhere in the 400's @ 220ish and approx 7-10% bf. I was never a powerlifter so I had no use to max out and blow my shoulder out. When it gets that heavy, your joints feel like they are going to explode.

20. Krilons Resa

Krilons Resa High Infidelity

The Foundation of Bodybuilding

If I had to come up with a ratio, bodybuilding is 80% diet/nutrition, 15% training, and 5% AAS, give or take. Diet is the infrastructure of bodybuilding; it and BB should go hand in hand. Does everyone getting into BB realize this important reality? The Foundation of BodybuildingUnfortunately, the answer is no. Sadly, many people overlook this aspect and come to a disappointing failure. This voluminous amount of people, usually consisting of newcomers to the sport, begin to heavily rely on AAS in their quest for packing on slabs of beef. Instead of relying so heavily on the "gear", they need to remove the inhibitive blindfold from their eyes and begin to favor diet more than anything else in their arsenal to achieve maximum growth. Not even all the AAS in the world will not work to their full potential nor be efficient if the diet is not first concrete. It is like throwing your hard earned cash down the drain for "half-ass" results, if any. Food/calories is the single most anabolic substance that you can put into your body.

As I stated above, bodybuilding should be built around one’s diet. I like to use the analogy; diet is to bodybuilding as the foundation is to a house. In order to build a house, you first need the concrete foundation built underneath. Without the foundation, the house simply comes tumbling down. Same holds true for diet/nutrition and bodybuilding. Take away the diet aspect of your program and your gains come crashing down. Conversely, if one hits a plateau, the person can up their daily caloric intake by 500 calories/day, and gains suddenly start to emerge again, breaking through that pesky barrier. A bodybuilder’s diet can make or break his/her goals.

Let’s face it. We all fail one time or another. You just got your goodies and plan out the entire cycle and training regime. Planning on gaining a solid 20 pounds in ten weeks, you go as hardcore as you can, training balls to the wall. At the conclusion of the ten weeks, you are disappointed by the newly acquired 10 pounds that you have worked so hard for.The Foundation of Bodybuilding As a result of you coming up short, you go back and overlook your entire program. The failure didn’t lie in your training, you knew that the gear was legit, and even were able to sleep 8 hours every night of the week. Then it finally dawns on you, aaahh the diet! The cornerstone of your program was overlooked. On the contrary, if your goal is to cut, and calories are not below BMR levels, you are going to have difficulties burning body fat. Unfortunately, I’d say that 90% of all failure lies in the nutritional guidelines of one’s course.

I can now breakdown the importance of fat, carbohydrates, and protein and how the body utilizes them but I will leave that for a different discussion. I will cut it down to the simple question "How much should I eat to grow?" One thing you have to realize is that as individuals, we are very diverse. Different body types, different metabolisms, different room for growth, etc, etc. With that being said, it is a good idea to aim for around 25 x each pound of bodyweight, increasing the amount as you gain. This number changes slightly lower if you are an endomorph and higher if you are an ectomorph. Spread the calories out into 6-8 meals per day as well for better absorption and digestion of the nutrients as well as staying in an anabolic state. Breaking the calories into this many meals along the day will boost your metabolism as well by expending energy for the digestion process.

Athletes have increased protein requirements than sedentary(non active) individuals. For this reason, of those calories, it is wise to consume between 1.5-2.0g of protein per pound of bodyweight. This will keep the body in a positive nitrogen balance, which is critical in the quest for obtaining muscle mass. Consume to little protein, and you could very well possibly lose muscle mass. Protein is the building block for our muscles.

From reading this, I hope that you understand a little bit more about the basics of the diet and how crucial of a role it plays in packing on muscle. Without this knowledge, you are destined for failure. In a nutshell, growth requires calories, and lots of them. I GUARANTEE that if your diet is not up to par as of right now, and you refine it, you WILL grow. Now go raid your fridge and grow beyond recognition, will ya?

Bodybuilding and your physique revolves around your diet!

edit: disregard the AAS part unless you are looking to compete, lol.

AsModEe likes this.