This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How to achieve this band's sound

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by killahpl, Jul 2, 2018.

1. killahpl

killahpl New Metal Member

Hi,

I'm a keyboard/piano player and after a couple of years of playing covers I'm at a point where I'd like to start making my own stuff.

I'd like to achieve the same kind of sound as this band has in this song (minus the vocals - the part I'm mainly interested in starts at ~0:35; I find that I can reproduce the sound of the intro quite easily ):

I can pin down the chords in each part of the song easily. There's probably two distorted guitars (L-R) in there. I can hear the double kick and the sharp snare, the hi hats etc. The tempo is probably around 150-160.

Still, I throw it all into my DAW and the result sounds flat; while I think the song in the YouTube clips has amazing energy and just flows, in my reproduction, it just seems like all the elements are competing against one another.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Bloopy

Bloopy Member

You ought to get a good answer for this kind of question if you ask in the REAPER lounge section of the Cockos forums. They'll probably want to hear what you have so far.

Lines is another useful music forum you could try.

killahpl likes this.
  3. killahpl

killahpl New Metal Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll definitely give those boards a try.

I'll also post a sample of what I've got here as well (a sample of the intro, the part I was referring to earlier plus the first vocal part (minus the vocals, obviously):

4. Bloopy

Bloopy Member

In case it's useful, the FreeAmp 3 Full plugin you can get here is a good realistic-sounding virtual guitar amp. I have no experience in working with guitar, but I used it with my egg slicer for the solos in my Megadeth cover linked in my sig, and also this track (the first sound that comes in).