This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Hypothetical question(s) only

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Soul of Ice, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

Agreed - I wouldn't call them underground, unless your definition of underground is really loose, like anything less popular than Iron Maiden.

2. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

They're certainly not that popular here as yet...

3. Janga666

Janga666 Infamous Butcher

i dont think they're very popular here either. I haven't met many here that have even heard of SX, although i don't think prog metal is very popular here anyway.

4. Ascension

Ascension New Metal Member

Unfortunately...SX is pretty much where they have been for years...relatively unknown. Which sucks. You would have thought in the 6 years since the origin of this thread...word would have spread alot more & SX would be playing & filling larger venues.

5. Lucidity

Lucidity Wrath Divine

As long as they keep playing good music then it's great that they make the money and become as big as they deserve.

:)

6. CttN

CttN Progworkd

Who the hell is Symphony X?

7. Jax

Jax Forum Goddess

Holy cow..hey stranger!

8. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

Ahhh, yes, The Netherlands... bringer of the almighty Lemur Voice :headbang:

I do prefer it when bands aren't as well known most of the time, but if they were making the music they're making now, I'd HAVE to be a fan if they were to make it big. In the end, it comes down to the music you like.

Just realized this thread is 6 years old. I never notice these types of things, lol.

9. proulxski

proulxski Welcome To Kanata Eh!

well considered most of those venues they couldn't even fill, are now sold out. Numbers have def, doubled. But honestly if it wasn't for Gigantour, touring with some of the biggest bands known to metal. They would still be on the same boat!

10. Hendrix91

Hendrix91 New Metal Member

I'm from the US and just found Symphony X browsing Youtube and I'm so glad I did... they're sick! I listen to heavy metal mostly and love them. Especially songs like Domination and Serpent's Kiss.. omg...

Any recommendations for me for some of their heavier stuff? I found out about them pretty recently so I don't know much stuff lol

11. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

^The songs you mentioned are from their latest album, Paradise Lost (2007). I recommend on getting that one and "The Odyssey" (2002) to start with. Then you can go and check the older albums. They aren't as heavy, but especially The Divine Wings of Tragedy is a must-get for fans of Symphony X.

12. estYMaj

estYMaj Music is everything

Paridise lost album and the odyssey have alot of heavy metalish tunes , but all there albums have some mixed in but for the most part they all have a metal edge to them anyway

You would like songs like Smoke and Mirrors and In the Dragon's Den from there album twilight in olympus , But check out all there stuff is GREAT!
    Sorry to say exept for there self titled album , mostly due to a differant singer In my opinion

13. Detective Clarence Beauregard

I say start with Paradise Lost and work backwards from there.

14. Hendrix91

Hendrix91 New Metal Member

I just Youtubed these and Divine Wings of Tragedy and it's good stuff.. thanks guys.

15. Eternal Dragon

I think you'd have to ask yourself what kind of music they'd be making if they were "mainstream popular". The Chilly Peppers did it.... awesome band but they dumbed it down and went for slower less energetic songs. Of course SymX have some great slower songs, but they'd have to conform to a subconsciously recognisable chord structure or key signature to be accepted by the masses.

Stuff that you've heard before, but sounds totally different. That's the easy road to popularity.

There is of course a way for a band to stay true and become popular. Both Metallica and DT are bridges to other worlds. Metallica into metal, DT into prog. If you build enough bridges you don't have to move.

16. slashin_velvet

slashin_velvet New Metal Member

If they changed their sound and style in order to achieve a more mainstream appeal, i would be less into them as i am now. I like their music for what it is, and changing that for money, would not gain my support.

That being said i would still listen to their back catalogue.

Furthermore, if they stayed exactly the same, producing very entertaining music, and managed to become top 40 mainstream music, i would still love them.