This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I hate grunge.

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Nick1975, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Draehl

Draehl Lurker

Anything sandwiched between the two shit genres of hair metal and nu-metal is bound to be amazing, if only by comparison :)

2. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

rolling stones, led zeppelin, and guns & roses all suck

The Butt likes this.
  3. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Active Member

One in a Million > every Belle & Sebastian song

But "alternative" in American lingo frequently means some of the most musically unremarkable rock bands of the 90s and early 00s. No one cares that AC/DC influenced a hundred Krokuses, Steelhearts, and Jackyls, so why should anyone care about Nirvana influencing a hundred Seethers and Puddle of Mudds? You did say "they clearly influenced a lot of later bands in many different styles of music"

Nick1975 likes this.
  4. Nick1975

Nick1975 Member

G n R were one of the best rock bands of the 80's and 90s and had a great run. Appetite is one of the best debut rock albums and the Illusions are filled with fantastic tunes. A magic brew of inspiration, blood, sweat, tears, anger, tenderness and swagger. Oh alright, and a teensy bit of narcotics. I think The Spaghetti Incident is really, really underrated. "Appetite for Destruction" is one of the finest albums of the 80s in my opinion. Still sounds fresh today. Whatever you want to say about what followed but Appetite For Destruction still remains one of the most explosive debuts of all time, not many bands sounded this hungry and dangerous as G'N'R did in 1987. But I wish they released a great album in late 1990s as well. As much as I love the sprawling and epic Illusions, they were released the same month as a certain album that changed everything.

5. The Butt

The Butt In-crowd thin-crowd.

guns n roses suck

edit: i mean, some of the stuff is decent musically but goddamn the singing is so bad

6. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail Stack of Fuck Shit

FKN GUNNAZ MAAATE

They were the ultimate ‘bogan that thinks he likes metal but finds Metallica to be just noise’ band of my youth. Fuck them and their bloated arrogant cocked of a vocalist.

7. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey dork quarterer

this thread has 20 pages

Slayed Necros and Satanstoenail like this.
  8. Nick1975

Nick1975 Member

I would appreciate your opinion on this. KISS or Aerosmith.I love both. Aerosmith is great, I've got all their albums.
    When I think of Aerosmith I think of the version that defined hard rock in the 1970s. Aerosmith had the best songs, but Kiss wins hands down as a live act. I give the nod to Aerosmith as far as studio output but not by a large margin. Live albums Kiss wins handily. Live in person Kiss wins handily.

9. Nick1975

Nick1975 Member

10. The Butt

Kiss by a mile. I only like a couple Aerosmith songs.

11. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

Kiss might legitimately be the worst band ever other than U2

12. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Commander of your mom

70s Aerosmith albums are good, man. I came around on that band a while ago and I hated them for years. I think CIG told me to check those albums out.

I only have one KISS album and it's alright. I'll probably check out Destroyer at some point but not a band I plan on really getting into but not bad like people make out here. Mort not liking good 70s rock doesn't really surprise me though.

13. Nick1975

Nick1975 Member

Who do you like better? Priest or Maiden? Maiden by a country mile for me. I just think more of their material has held up over the years. I have so many t-shirts and memorabilia that I probably put Steve Harris's kids through college. Although I do like both bands.
    Priest IMO have not as good songs as Maiden, I generally like every song or all but one song on a Maiden Album, but on Priest Albums apart from the first three albums I generally only like about 5 songs per album, although Rising I did like them all!!

14. Nick1975

Nick1975 Member

Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Powerslave are definitive. The early stuff is great. But the early stuff with Paul D'Anno is very different than with Bruce Dickinson. I've been a Maiden fan for over 30 years.

15. Nick1975

Nick1975 Member

Does anyone prefer the first two Maiden albums, S/T and Killers, over the rest of the stuff they have done? I just find those first two albums to be very unique in sound and style, they don't sound like Maiden with Bruce at all, obviously in vocals but even with the music, it's completely different. I think those first two records to me, really do feel like a true fusion of punk and metal. Just like Motorhead, I think the first 2 Maiden albums were total fusion of punk and metal. But I guess a lot of the early new wave of british heavy metal was kind of like that.
    The debut is raw and dark, and it's interesting to hear Maiden at a point where they hadn't quite found their voice, although they were close. It's a great, if slightly flawed album. Killers, imo, is better, more confident, with Maiden having at that point developed what I would consider their trademark sound.

HadesRagnazrath likes this.
  16. The Butt

Priest all the way. I only like the first five Maiden albums really

17. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Commander of your mom

I lean more towards Maiden lately. The more I listen to them, the more they creep to #1 metal band status to me

18. Omni

Omni The Great Annihilator

The early KISS albums are great. That shouldn't be controversial given all of the great metal bands that they influenced.

19. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Active Member

Music from The Elder > all

20. HadesRagnazrath

HadesRagnazrath Active Member

Yeah but Bruce is a better singer. The only reason id say that though is because those two albums have more feel to them. The Number of the Beast is an underrated album though. After that the Bruce stuff is great too.