This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ibanez 4-string bass with a pickup for 5-string bass mounted. Why?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by blackcom, Mar 28, 2011.

1. blackcom

blackcom Member

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb...5&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=2&series_id=472

This is a four-string bass with a pickup meant for a 5-string bass mounted. EMG 40DC for 5-string instead of an EMG 35DC for 4-string

Does anyone know what the reason might be for this, will it make the E and G strings sound "better" or anything?

I need a bass I can tune down to F# (F#, B, E, A) to play together with my 8-string guitar.

2. ex-250

ex-250 Member

Wide string spacing perhaps.

I have an SX 5-string with 4-string size pickups...so who knows.

3. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Those EMG pickups have blade polepieces, so I doubt there'd be THAT big of a difference.

4. colonel_claypoo

yeah, so it might be for looks or they couldn't get enough 35dc's from EMG haha.

5. midget donkeys

It's probally to make the manufacture of their basses cheaper. Stocking one part instead of two can save money when your mass producing things.

If you pay attention to a car companies models you will notice they often use many of the same parts on several models of cars for the same reason.

6. Executioner213

Executioner213 Ultimate Meatbag

Thats probably a type-o. Why would they waste extra money, as negligible as it may be when buying parts at cost, on a more expensive pickup for something like that?

If it isn't, the only reason I can see otherwise is because the string spacing is too wide.