This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Impulse FAQ :)

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by dani, Sep 13, 2008.

1. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

well you could use Gearbox as a monitoring tool as well as any vst ampsim and impulse, but don't mix up two ampsims or two impulses cause it will most probably sound bad. I mean, if you're using an ampsim in gearbox and not using any cab sim, you can use a separate impulse after gearbox, but be sure to turn off the cabsim in gearbox

2. shredder10

shredder10 Replace that #@#|@#∞!!

TSS for Mac anywhere? or a least something similar for mac users? :(

3. shredder10

=/ any option aside this Wagner Sharp, that's available for mac users? :mad:

4. mot666

mot666 Member

the other link dosnt work either(i dont remember what its called, im not flicking back five pages) , the only one that did was Sir.

5. shredder10

Just bought Waves IR1, at least it works! -_-

6. KTShannon

KTShannon New Metal Member

So this might be a silly question, but as this is a newbie IR thread, I will post here.

I usually have lined in directly from my Line 6 Spider II... I do very much enjoy my tone and would like to use this tone with IR.

My problem is when I load any of the guitarhacks IR files with my tone directed in, the volume drops dramatically... is this normal? Should I just use compression and volume boosts to bring this to level? Or is there something I am missing here.

Appreciate any input. They sound great, just very quiet :(

Thanks,
    Kyle

7. deLuther

deLuther Member

Just adjust output level in plugin or boost level after (if plugin does not have own output gain).

8. Arsenu,

Arsenu, Member

ok, serioulsy, iv'e read the thread a couple of times before asking this but still:

what the fuck is the difference between using an impulse and using an ampSim+reverb?

from what is understand (and iv'e followed each step of the guide carefully),
    an impulse is simulating a certain tone as if it was played in a certain room with the mic positioned in a certain way in front of the amp (or ampSim, for that matter)
    so all it does is basically add reverb and a certain tonal color with frequency response (EQ).
    so what's the difference between using those impulses and using an ampSim with reverb and EQ?
    why not just use (example) gate-->guitar rig--> REVerence and EQ to taste if still necessary?

9. JBroll

JBroll I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!

It's doing more than just reverb and a 'tonal color'... a lot more goes into the movement of the speaker than just an instantaneous blip (hence speaker dynamics!) so, by mimicking this more carefully, impulses are getting a little closer to proper speaker recording than amp sims would.

Jeff

10. Arsenu,

Arsenu, Member

alright so the correct answer is: "no-one REALLY knows exactly how impulses work but they ARE more accurate/natural than a reverb DSP"

thanks guys :)

11. JBroll

JBroll I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!

No, they're understood... but a pain in the ass to explain.

Jeff

12. dani

dani beat defective

i'll do my best to explain, but bear in mind that the theory involved here is degree level, so don't worry yourself if you don't understand!

an impulse is created by recording a wide frequency sound (generally a sweeping sine wave, but i've heard that it used to be done with gunshots) in the environment you want to be sampled.

imagine the environment has a sound, or sample, but not really. you can only hear it by the effect it has on other sounds. what's going on here, is that it's convolving it's sample with the sounds that come through it.

if we have the original unaltered sound, and the recording of the sound in the environment, we can "deconvolve" the two, the output of which is the sample of the environment.

then we can convolve other sounds with this sample, and hear their effect on these other sounds, without actually playing those sounds in the environment. as long as the sample we took covers the entire frequency range, we know what effect the environment will have on it, and this information is stored in the impulse file.

convolution is done by doing the fourier transform on the sound and the impulse, then multiplying the points together. the output of this is then inverse fourier transformed, and this is the sound convolved with the impulse.

we use the fourier transform because convolution normally is too difficult for CPU to do fast. multiplication in the fourier domain = convolution in the time domain.

i hope that helps.. aha.

thanks,

13. Arsenu,

Arsenu, Member

thanks man.

the furst question that comes to my mind, tough, is: the unaltered original sound must generate from a computer, right?
    because if it is recorded even in the driest of rooms it still has the environment sound in it.
    so i guess you can't really use gunshots, sine sweeps seems more logical.

14. dani

dani beat defective

this is true, but as a gun shot is so loud, if it's recorded closely as well, the noise from the environemt wouldn't be too significant.

in any case, they were only rough approximations, and i'm sure whilst not technically perfect, it would have been reasonably good.

thanks,

15. Viral_Tyler

Viral_Tyler Member

Cool post.

I will continue using my Line6 UX1 with the Bigbottom w/ its preset cab w/ offaxis 57 mic

Sounds legit.
    http://soundcloud.com/therealct/deathcore-aeolian-harmonic-in

[SOUNDCLOUD]<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F26578723"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F26578723" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="http://soundcloud.com/therealct/deathcore-aeolian-harmonic-in">Deathcore-Aeolian Harmonic in E</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/therealct">ctstudios</a></span> [/SOUNDCLOUD]

16. ForHerDeadEyes

ForHerDeadEyes Señor Member

17. Wegu

Wegu New Metal Member

Might be a noob question but is it possible to use real amp (bugera 333xl in this case) and just plug it in to a interface (motu) and use impulses on daw? Do i need something else? Is there need for a dummyload? i can get countryman di box if that is needed!

18. CubanDude

CubanDude not really cuban

No idea how it actually works, but you can defo use a real amp + impulses in the DAW. guess you have to somehow only activate the standby mode (not the power switch) on your amp and take the signal from the send?!

19. Wegu

Wegu New Metal Member

Hmm, yeah. It would be nice if someone could shed some light on that? I mean i don't want to fuck up my amp by not knowing what to do etc.

20. hurdy

hurdy Sup

Yea i use my 5150II pre-amp out directly into my interface instrument level input, then i use a gate before the Impulse (minimize amp noise)
    sounds beasty as