This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by PlainVanilla, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

Also, when I first heard the intro to Ropes I got a huge Dark Tranquillity vibe off of it for some reason.

2. DE4life

DE4life rap and hiphop guru

It's mainly the slow, shitty, chugging riffs on both songs. There are some good parts on All For Me but I find the song as a whole boring as fuck. Easily my least favourite on the album, it isn't even close.

3. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

Does your copy of SOAPF not include Darker Times?

4. DE4life

I like Darker Times. Admittedly yeah, it's quite far below the rest of the songs, but it's okay. Anders has some "sick growls" (©️ Krofius) in that one.

5. krofius

krofius Member

Darker Times is the worst song after Liberation on SOAPF. Ropes also weak apart from the intro/outro. Fear is the Weakness, All For Me, Where the Dead Ships Dwell & A New Dawn are some of my favorite IF songs ever.

6. DE4life

Where does TCP rank?

7. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

I like Darker Times. I think it's repetitive but I think it gives it a cold heavy sound, kind of mechanical sounding. The composition and nuance as a whole makes the song works.

I also like how it kicks from double tracking to quad tracking and makes the guitars sound more massive.
    I guess it just depends on what you can personally take from the songs on the album.

Ultimately there's no songs on the album I ca
    n ultimately dislike. Liberation is probably the most unsettling song, it sounds weird, and doesn't really fit in any context, but it's not dog shit. Ropes starts promising, sounds almost like a classic melodeath song until the intro leaves, and then the song just gets about half as interesting by then.

A New Dawn is one of the best modern IF songs hands down. It captures the epic composition build up that old IF used to have. The string section in the middle is an instant classic, but I think the thing that ultimately really makes it amazing is the fact that it doesn't wimper out in any part, which is something that was a huge problem with ASOP's songs. It has a build up that a song like Alias failed to execute during it's Acoustic bridge, which is anti climactic.
    The song basically keeps building up more and more, hits the guitar solo, and then you hear a familiar part to make you think it's just dropping you back into the verses, but instead ends it with this climactic clean guitar run.

All I can say is, I think if anyone has an open mind, I think they can at least respect the work that went into this album if it's not to their taste.

8. galvanized

galvanized Member

Anders did a really good job with the vocals on SOAPF. Did he hurt his voice again and that led to the subdued SC? Live shows he seemed to do fine, but maybe he hid the strain?

9. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

I don't know. I think he's just getting old, so yelling + age is probably taking it's toll.

That said, his projection on SOAPF is pretty amazing. There's honestly nothing I can really hear in his performance on the album that even remotely comes across as annoying or bad.

10. krofius

krofius Member

Don't know, not the same album we're talking about? If I'm ranking it on the ASOP album at least in the top half somewhere.

11. DE4life

I'm talking all time.

12. galvanized

galvanized Member

Yeah I’m going to walk back my statement about Ropes being one of my favorites. It has catchy parts but as a whole can’t compete in the same league as Dead Ships, Fear is the Weakness, and A New Dawn for me. Still not bad though.

After re-listening a couple more times this week I can say the title track and even Deliver Us are good songs which I wrote off before.

I like Darker Times as well. Agree that the industrial/mechanical aspect is part of the song. I don’t mind that aspect. It has two different solo sections (first and second chorus) and the chorus itself is very strong and catchy.

To me All For Me is a well done song where IF went outside their comfort zone and pulled it off. As far as I know this is the only IF song where Anders uses a lower octave singing voice where he sounds like a traditional metal singer singing a ballad. Not sure to call it baritone or what at 3:10-3:50. Anyway except for the very beginning part (3:11-3:13) “where it’s hard to say” which sounds off-tune, the rest of it sounds awesome. If that’s protool magic it’s tastefully done and a lot better than the obvious tuning they did on later songs.

Liberation is different and WAS jarring at the time. But now we’ve seen SC and Battles so Liberation is tame. Yeah it’s obviously a pop ballad but like you said it’s not terrible. Some of the vocals are a little nasally for me (evoking Smashing Pumpkins comparisons) but not always. Solo part is decent, verse instrumental part is decent. Chorus singing strong. Overall surprisingly decent.

Liberation is the one song on SOAPF that foreshadows SC. Now I need to go back and listen to SC and see how much it differs from Liberation. Maybe it’s about the same?

13. DE4life

I don't find much parallels between SC and Liberation. Honestly the only song that's close is Through Oblivion, which uses less guitars but is that same pop ballad structure. It's hard to find comparisons with SC and anything In Flames have done before. Even the heavier songs like Everything's Gone bear little resemblance to anything else in the band's catalog. The album as a whole just lacks the energy that characterises all other In Flames albums, including Battles. When I re-reviewed it a while back I found it wasn't quite as bad as I remembered, but overall it just doesn't feel like an album that should have the In Flames title.

14. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

Have you ever tried something only once in your life?

After 10 LPs and 2 EPs, and the already mentioned forced release schedules, you rather want something new, albeit possibly bad, than some watered up shit that has references to the norm here and there. SC was bad in a way that it is under heavy discussion. Battles was bad in a way that no one really fucking cares about it.

15. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

have you ever farted and dust came out your rear and you thought it was nuclear fall out?

16. DE4life

I assume that's how SC was conceived.

galvanized, eochaid and Clay-Man like this.
  17. galvanized

galvanized Member

SC is bad but agree with Slave, it’s bad in a way that at least we keep talking about. Battles is a dead end. But in 7 years we’ll be on here saying how it isn’t that bad compared to the most recent release. We’re like frogs in boiling water.

Jester Slave and Jabi like this.
  18. Jabi

Jabi Member

From this perspective it looks kinda silly
    Speaking of SOAPF, the title track may be inspired by the dystopian movie "Children of Men." It's about mass infertility that threatens the existence of mankind. I watched the movie last summer and was surprised to hear one of the characters commenting the situation about there no longer being any little children in the world with a line "As the sounds of playground faded, despair set in." (Or something like that)

19. DE4life

[​IMG]

20. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

We may be frogs in boiling water, but at least the water will kill us before it turns us gay.