This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by PlainVanilla, Feb 1, 2016.

1. galvanized

galvanized Member

Totally agree. Have been waiting in anticipation for this and that first song is a let down. I saw mostly positive comments saying things like “classic ATG!” but the song is far too derivative to get excited about. I figured after Bjorler left they would have re-kindled a fire (like with Dark Tranquility Atoma , In Flames SOAPF) but I did not hear that in this video :(

Where did the guitar solo go, for instance? And I know exactly the defense “but no one says we have to have a solo! It’s just a convention and we break convention!”. This is where someone like Nordstrom would step in and say “just play a damn solo and kick everyone’s ass”. Without a solo there the song is missing something. Most obvious thought is Bjorler is missing and that led to a subpar release.

Still hopeful they just made a bad selection of the single. I love AWWR — it grew on me over time. Slaughter is raw and amazing but AWWR is an artistic masterpiece. I’m hoping ATG doesn’t devolve like The Haunted or one of the other lukewarm bands in their circle.

2. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I don't really seem to have any room in my brain for any more melodic death metal or extreme metal in general. I still like listening to the classic stuff, but none of the new stuff does it for me any more. Last album I thought was awesome was Amaranthe's 'The Nexus' so maybe my brain has just turned to shit. I don't know.

3. krofius

krofius Active Member

can confirm

4. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

I loved the atmosphere in AWWR. It was a darker sounding album than Slaughter.

galvanized likes this.
  5. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Stop being a cunt and listen to insomsium. There's nothing to not like there.

6. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

De4Life just got N'Flamed it looks like..

Insomnium has greats songs like Down with the sun, While we sleep, Weather the storm. You guys should check it.

7. krofius

krofius Active Member

I find them very boring. If I need my fix for melancholic sounding melodeath I'd go for Be'Lakor any day. I've never gotten into Insomnium at all, vocals are a bit annoying for me too. They do have some nice riffs though. But I prefer Wolfheart over them and I don't really listen to them either.

8. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

Darkstreet Tranquillityboys

9. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I pretty much agree with you on this. Everyone seems to get erect over Insomnium but they don't click with me. It's a similar situation with Opeth... lots of people love them, I don't find them interesting at all. I saw them live and it was one of the most boring experiences of my life.

I expected the burns over Amaranthe, but considering my championing of flower power metal over the years it's pretty consistent with my musical tastes :D nobody should be surprised.

I listened to Whoracle in its entirety yesterday if that helps.

10. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

How much have you listened of them? I was just like you until a couple of years ago. Now is one of my favourite bands.

11. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Two bands in a row. Now he can stop listening to that shitty pop metal band.

I don't like wolfheart. Not bad but they do not reach me.

#4351 eochaid, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  12. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Is that supposed to be a joke?

13. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

It doesn't help at all. ImI sure you skipped all songs until reaching everything counts.

14. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I can't remember which albums I listened to, but I remember thinking it wasn't my kinda thing.

Actually I made a mistake, I actually listened to Battles the whole way through instead. Easy mistake to make. "WHEN III LOOK AT YOUU, I SEE MEEE" :headbang:

15. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Stop it. You're gonna make me cry. :cry:

DE4life likes this.
  16. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

I used to think the same.

17. galvanized

galvanized Member

18. galvanized

galvanized Member

This new recording is powerful. I like it better than the original but I’m not a hardcore fan of the first few ATG albums before Terminal Spirit Disease. I listen to them once in a while out of curiousity but they never caught hold of me. This version however really makes me want to listen over and over. Very listenable. I’m getting pumped for the new album again.

19. galvanized

galvanized Member

The first 1:30 of “Raped” could easily be from TJR or Lunar Strain/Subterranean... just a tad darker in tone but still in the same vein. Never really noticed that similarity to early In Flames with the original production. Second half of the song gets darker and more aggressive than In Flames ever tried though.

Also I like how the song structure doesn’t follow verse chorus verse whatsoever. \m/ Hope this recording makes it on the LP at least as a bonus track or something.

20. galvanized

galvanized Member

New Amorphis song, The Bee. Awesome use of electronics in the beginning and throughout. Another metal band maintaining a high level of artistry. Haven’t kept up with these guys lately but definitely going to give their recent material a spin.