This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Interesting/Amusing News Articles

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Only some of the cheap CD-R ones. Even good quality CD-R discs claim a lifespan of 50+ years.

2. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

I've seen plenty of my CDR's deteriorate, however they were poorly looked after, so it was probably more my fault than anything else :p

3. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Anyone bother to evaluate the quality of all of their CD-R's?

4. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Nope, although with most of my CD-R stuff I figure if I haven't used it in years, it probably doesn't matter :p

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I reckon I'd be more annoyed to lose burns of data or photos etc than purchased CDs, with the exception perhaps of special edition CDs. Music can always be repurchased if the disk stuffs up.

6. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Not if it's out of print and the band members have gone AWOL, or simply aren't interested in making more. CD-R releases are usually from small local bands who produced them themselves.

7. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

yeah, I just found out that Dead Flowers (NZ) put out a third album. looking for it now. I have a copy of the Lik-Wid EP Phalluscentric which I think might be about the most obscure thing I have.

8. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

After years of complaining about modern music formats Neil Young today announced that he's pulling his music from all streaming services. He made the announcement on his official Facebook page saying: "Streaming has ended for me. I hope this is ok for my fans. It's not because of the money, although my share (like all the other artists) was dramatically reduced by bad deals made without my consent. It's about sound quality. I don't need my music to be devalued by the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution. I don't feel right allowing this to be sold to my fans. It's bad for my music. For me, It's about making and distributing music people can really hear and feel. I stand for that. When the quality is back, I'll give it another look. Never say never."

Dude... worst quality in the history of broadcasting? You mean AM radio right??

[edit: actually, he doesn't] supposedly from his FB page:

Personally, I think Neil's hearing (or possibly brain) is damaged. He's very welcome to his opinion and perfectly within his rights to do what he wants with his product, but the only outcome I can see from this (from my non-industry perspective) is less royalties for Neil.

9. Winmar

Streaming sounds better than all of the cassettes I own. Spotify Premium has decent quality, does it not?

10. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I read somewhere that Mr. Young was involved with the development of a high quality (?digital) player and people have been suggesting that streaming invalidates that business model which is what his ultimate beef is. The criticism of said player is that its battery life sucks.

I have never used a streaming service so I wouldn't know. Kids and their new fangled toys GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

11. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

12. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

13. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...elective-outrage-hashtag-protest-social-media
    :lol:

14. Winmar

Great points! People love showing their outrage to display how amazing they are. It's tedious.

15. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

16. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

It would have to be a New Zealand design we adopt because no bugger here can decide what it should look like. Its been talked about heaps here and never gains enough ground to happen.

17. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Not good news for NSW but at least they got to point out that the government's a failure:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...w-south-wales-music-event-cancelled-in-a-week

18. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I have little sympathy for the organisers in this case. I don't care about political point scoring and shitting on governments purely because they make rules but organisers have had it way to fucking good in this country for too many years. Sure there are costs involved with change and maybe not all those changes are what the organisers and punters want but organisers have been cutting corners and screwing punters for years. They will also pass any excess costs they can't get out of directly onto punters so I say fuck 'em let the government annoy them for a while.

19. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

20. cowboy

cowboy Member

A well written article.

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/prog...ovid19-the-future-of-music-festivals/12203380

The possibility that international acts might want to come here even if they have to quarantine for 14 days because we are "safer" than everywhere else is an interesting angle I hadn't previously considered.

Coming here, quarantining for 14 days then playing 5-6 shows... probably better than staying home fro 20 days and playing zero shows