This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is the Axe-FX just a passing fad?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by InAbsentia_, Aug 4, 2010.

1. kev

kev Im guybrush threepwood

2. Machinated

Machinated Member

i cant believe people get so worked up about other peoples gear. i havent heard any clips from an axefx that have floored me, but that doesnt take away from people enjoying them for their own uses.

3. zakky

zakky ( . Y . )

4. InAbsentia_

InAbsentia_ Member

This is what I've been trying to say for two days now.

5. supahd

supahd Member

Yea, I'll add that's why I got it initially too.. my rig was a huge pain in the ass to lug around and it seemed to solve those problems with something close enough that the typical audience member wouldn't notice anyway. And the feel was good, specially the sensitivity to dynamics, I haven't played another modeller/whatever that gets it like the Axe. Since then it's turned into mostly an easy recording setup, I don't have anything setup for the kind of volume to mic a cab so it's just easier. Usually when I play live though I use my Diezel.. that thing just kicks all kinds of ass.

6. TheDude

TheDude Jocke Skog

7. muckypup1

muckypup1 Sinister Haven \m/

Hahaha, this thread is going on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long :D

8. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

I have to say, I think you're wrong. Strings+plectrum are one of the fundamental sound creating tools in the guitarists kit bag. They form the basis for what the rest of the components have to work with. There is a cascade effect, and I think at the end of the chain they affect the tone a lot more than you're giving credit for.

9. Melb_shredder

Melb_shredder Orpheus: Melodic Death

Holy shit! Someone end this thread before we all get stupider from it!

10. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

Dude... you're in a death metal band. You have no monopoly on intelligence!

lulz.

11. muckypup1

muckypup1 Sinister Haven \m/

Maybe, but this thread is now 6 pages long :err:

12. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

7; and it stopped being a useful thread around page 4 anyway. Might as well keep it going!

13. Oluf

Oluf New Metal Member

I bought some months ago. It has cured my GAS completely on the guitar-sound-sector. I can use it at home where I cannot run a real amp, I can run it live where the FOH guy loves me for having a good sound without too much noise on the stage.
    Does it 100% copy the realamptone? Who cares. It provides the sound, I like for my crappy guitarplaying and my bassplaying. And if its not the Amp-Sim-Section. I tested alot of multi-FX Devices. Digitech, Boss, Line 6, TC.. none of them beats the FX Section of the Axe FX. None of them brings the possibilities to route the sound, most provide static effect-sections etc. Axe FX lets you design you sound by using a 12x4 Grid to layout your Effectchain. Is it too expensive? I don't know. Take a good FX Unit, a good sounding Amp and everything you need to record it... It's not really more expensive than a normal Guitarsetup. And with your normal Setup, you have 1 Amp.
    Would I use it in a studio? If the Amp I want to record is available, I think I would choose the real deal, but I would still use the FX-Section. If the Amp we need is not there, or we want a Sound, we cannot build with available Amps, I think it might be possible to use it. Perhaps as Preamp only, Perhaps completely by using IRs.

Its the Result that matters, not the way you archive it!

14. Josh Burgess

Josh Burgess Member

Definitely gotta agree with Jeff. You're starting to sound a bit crazy, man. The difference between string brands/gauge sizes usually comes down to brightness, which can be accounted for with amp settings. Different picks do affect the sound slightly... they usually make the attack sharper or smoother, but again... it's not drastic.

I also gave my opinions a few pages back explaining problems I had with it (after owning for 2 years), and it was ignored because you guys were busy bickering.

15. Josh Burgess

Josh Burgess Member

Exactly, and that's the major problem with it. There are still pretty much no results rivaling professional modern metal guitar tones you hear from big name producers. They are all still using mic'd up amps and cabs.

As far a bass tones go, I think a lot of people still prefer the POD over the Axe-FX for bass tones. Even Meshuggah's bassist is still using the POD, and I believe Bulb is still using the POD for bass (although I'm not a big fan of the guitar sounds on their cd, anyways...) and I still haven't heard a high gain Axe-FX guitar tone on any album or EP that sounds as good as the high gain POD guitar tones guys like Joey Sturgis and Joshua Wickman (both producers on this forum) have used.

16. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

It's a lot more than brightness, but hey... feel free to think what you want to think.

In my experience, string gauge (less so with brands) has a massive effect on the tone of my guitars. This is through the same amps too. My sound changed significantly when I started using Jazz III's too.

17. Charlie E.

Charlie E. Member

I also can't believe people are calling the 5150 a fad. That's one hell of a "temporary fashion" if you ask me.
    I've owned my 5150 for 16 years and still using it at live shows and for recording to this day. I'm sure tons more are.
    How many people have used a fractal axe fx for 16+ years?
    I think only time will tell if an axe fx will be a fad or not but come on guys! At least make better counterarguments.

18. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

I think if you go read again, no-one actually said the 5150 was a fad.

19. Melb_shredder

Melb_shredder Orpheus: Melodic Death

I think i need say no more... Yours obviously a dull person and your arguments are seriously misinformed. And if you feel that making a judgement on my intelligence due to the genre of music I play... In an argument about tone... Generally high gain tone... Then I say good night sir... I SAID GOOD NIGHT SIR!

20. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

:lol: