This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I've not heard one PEEP about Tyr...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by nailz, Sep 13, 2010.

1. nailz

nailz Member

So, how were they?

2. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

TYR fucking smoked! I love this band and they were excellent. That is the second time I've seen them and they are just a fantastic band to watch. I love the four vocal harmonies on the Faroese language tunes, especially.

3. hoodaman

hoodaman Is it live or is it Dave?

they were fun. They probably would have been MORE fun had they played more stuff that I could have sung along with since most of their set was in a foreign language.

4. sh0kr0k

sh0kr0k Active Member

Really? Read through this :)

They were great! Most of the consensus seems to be "they were good but not my thing." On the other hand there are people like me who loved every second of it and didn't want it to end. They have such amazing vocal harmonies and it's always energetic and ironically upbeat. It was a pleasure to see them again.

5. thedelicateflower

...they were a lot of fun to see/hear, even in faroese, their music is fun and absolutely one of my most favorite bands....always a great show...3rd time seeing them and can't wait to see them again....:headbang:

<3 those vikings ;)

6. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks www.fools-game.com

I LOVE Tyr. Their set was plagued by technical difficulties with the drums, so maybe that threw them off their game a bit...

The guitarists played only one solo correctly between the two of them. When I say they didn't play them right, I don't mean they missed a note or two, they BOTCHED the solos consistently. The bass player looked like he was having the time of his life, and the vocals were pretty well done.

The performance was good, but I didn't feel like they were really on their A game. The first time I saw them I was blown away how awesome they were. This time I thought they were good, but they could have played better for sure.

7. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

It took them a while to warm up. The singer's vocals were off for a couple songs, then he took a swig of vodka and it was on. The solos were botched I agree. Fingers just not moving right I guess, but at least it still sort of worked, since Tyr plays some weird stuff as it is.

I enjoyed their performance, it was their most energetic one that I've see (3rd time), but not the highest in musical quality. Still, they played some songs I hadn't heard them play before and had a great time. Seemed like the fans were pretty into it.

8. DEATHZILLA

DEATHZILLA Member

They put on a good set. I am glad to have been able to see them:kickass:

9. OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver BECAUSE FALCONER

I thought they were amazing. But then, I'm a bit biased.

I got a kick out of how enthusiastic Gunnar, the bassist was, especially compared to how subdued the rest of his bandmates were. :)

10. jhallum

jhallum Computer guy

I totally dug their set. The vocal melodies are infectious on the new one, and I thought they worked live really well. Not so much the musicianship, hopefully I'll get a chance to see them again.

11. freakchylde

freakchylde PPUSA Driver o' Doom!!!!!

They did fly in, roughly 2 hours before they played. Not sure if that fed into it, or not.

12. Kimavir

Kimavir Metal Hippy

Just listen to them as much as I do. Then you'll be able to mumble something that sure sounds a lot like whatever the heck they're saying.

13. Corsair

Corsair Member

+1. I couldn't make it Friday night, but having seen them before, and listened to 'Eric the Red' more times than I can count, any time they play Regin Smiur, I can chant the lyrics... Phonetically at least, i'm sure my pronunciation is still horrible.

14. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

I probably was into them a bit more the time I saw them before ProgPower (which was the third out of four times now), because I think they were more on than at ProgPower. The other guys have mentioned their problems. But for the most part, I didn't really care too much and had a fucking great time seeing them. They are one of my favorite bands, so I'm always gonna love seeing them. I just wish ONE DAY I can see them do the song "The Edge." One day.

15. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 Member

There were some technical issues but this was one of the bands I was most intrigued about seeing (have a little of their music but not a fanboy by any means). That said, we went down on the floor for it, figuring it'd be one of those "fun" kind of bands you need to be up close for. They rocked. Wrecked my neck for sure. The newbie teenager we brought to this years Fest was definitely sold. Spent the rest of the time in ATL wondering how he could figure out the lyrics (translation in the cds, just can't rely on itunes for everything, kids) and looking for a Tyr shirt which we never did find.

Fave band out of everyone that I ended up seeing, can't wait to see them in an even smaller venue, maybe a longer set time. Still can't believe they didn't play "We Ride" as I think that would have been a real crowd pleaser.

16. YearsOfMetal

YearsOfMetal what?

I love TÝR, they sounded GREAT! Glad to see that Teri Skibenæs put his hair back to blonde. It looks much better. I was hoping for more stuff off of the most recent album. They had so many technical issues and maybe that's why. The stalling jokes were funny, though.

17. Yippee38

Yippee38 Living the dream!

I expected not to like them, but they put on a good show, sounded good and were fun.

18. nailz

nailz Member

glad they sounded kick ass.

19. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

My first time seeing Tyr and I was not disappointed, they were tons of fun and I was not affected by any sound or performance issues because I was too caught up in the energy of the crowd up front. While they did not play my two favorite songs from How Far to Asgaard (the album of theirs I've owned the longest), I think I understand why since most tracks on that one are slower whereas the newest album is tailor-made to be played live. They rocked hard and I want to see them again on whenever their next tour is.

20. usaprogmusic

usaprogmusic ProgPowerGRRL

I have never been into the viking metal stuff much, but I really enjoyed the energy of the set and even went down on the floor so I could get into it (one of the few bands that got me off my lazy ass). They won me over and I definitely will be getting their albums now. :)