This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

James LaBrie cancels PPUSA performance

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

From his management:

As many of you are no doubt aware, James LaBrie of Dream Theater has been scheduled to perform at this year’s ProgPower Festival among many other incredible artists. While James and his band had been looking forward to this live appearance and performances of James’ solo material for many, many months, circumstances have forced the band to have to pull out of this year’s festival. The entire band regretfully makes this decision to officially cancel the appearance after several weeks of making every effort to try and maintain the scheduling as anticipated. Unfortunately in this case, James LaBrie’s responsibilities to Dream Theater and his bandmates are of the utmost importance, and this will be a critical period of writing in studio for the next Dream Theater record. James wishes to thank all of his fans who were looking forward to this appearance and supported this upcoming live solo band performance at ProgPower. The entire James LaBrie band is deeply apologetic to all those eagerly anticipating the show, and the band looks forward to making this historic live appearance happen in the future.

2. templeofmax

templeofmax Member

Dang!!! With 4 months to get a new band, I am guessing overseas replacements (cough THRESHOLD cough) are out of the question.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

My guess is that one of the existing bands will be moved to headlining status (Redemption or Labyrinth are good candidates) and a band will backfill.

No matter, the situation still sucks.

4. MetalShock

MetalShock Dissident Aggressor

Oh well, stuff happens. Planning this far in advance things will ultimately arise that are out of control of the promoters. Things like this have happened in the past, pretty often actually a band cancels for some reason or another. It has NEVER kept me from attending and won't this year. Look forward to the event.

Perhaps The Contortionist could be an add on since they are in the USA.

5. labrekk

labrekk Member

Would have loved it, but Threshold are playing in Europe during PP's week...

templeofmax likes this.
  6. seh750

seh750 Member

Well #$%^.

7. labrekk

labrekk Member

#7 labrekk, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Mardoch and NorseBlood like this.
  8. roa71

roa71 Member

How about Voyager play Ghost Mile in it's entirety. The 1-2 punch of Redemption and Voyager...

NorseBlood likes this.
  9. Charlie Dudley

Charlie Dudley So where do we begin and what else can we say?

While I believe this will be the likely scenario, it would be great to snag a great US band like Fates Warning or Symphony X that jives with the overall sound for this particular night. I've seen a lot of people on social media suggest Sons of Apollo to slide into that spot but they're playing in Japan on 9/10, so that seems like a long shot. While admittedly a shitty situation for Glenn, it is fun for us to speculate. Let's pray that he has extra bourbon and patience for this situation.

10. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

really hate it for Glenn. Not the first time someone has dropped a flaming turd sandwich in his lap before, even a headliner. One of the many reasons we love Glenn, is he always finds a way to make this situation better.

NorseBlood likes this.
  11. T.J. Swoboda

T.J. Swoboda Member

Hey, they're playing Pennsylvania in a week... I'll be seeing them in Montreal on Wednesday (worked out better with existing vacation plans).

Bubble burst. :/ Benedictum?

12. zinescene

zinescene Member

I'm so confused?? Who's playing in Pennsylvania and Montreal? I was hoping you meant Threshold but I know it's not them.

13. PureXul

PureXul Member

It's Threshold, they're doing two Canadian shows and RoS Fest.

14. NorseBlood

NorseBlood Doggerland

Not a Dream Theater fan. Wasn't really looking forward to seeing LaBrie either.
    So don't let the door hit you on the ass James, and don't come back.

One of these would be my choices to replace Sir James, not in any particular order:
    Vanden Plas
    Jon Oliva's Pain or Savatage
    Voyager
    Accept
    Grave Digger
    Lacuna Coil

If you need to bring in another band to fill in a gap (e.g. if an existing band is promoted to headliner), then one of these:
    Votum
    Vanden Plas
    Wintersun
    Thunder & Lightning
    Evergrey
    Communic
    Innerwish
    Wind Rose
    Diviner

Whatever the decision, Glenn will make the right choice. He always does.

#14 NorseBlood, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  15. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

Iced Earth

NorseBlood likes this.
  16. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

17. Fixxer315

Fixxer315 Member

Damn. It would have been cool to see James play live, as well as to get his autograph to join Mike Portnoy's on I&W.

But Glenn always comes up with something interesting, whether it will be to pull from the current roster or to add someone new. If someone from the current roster moves to a headlining slot, then perhaps they can do a special set. Perhaps a band like Mindmaze or Stormzone could take one of the earlier slots.

However, if they get a new headliner, would it be feasible to get Accept at this late date? They don't seem to be doing any live shows in early September, and seeing them headline would be awesome.

Or perhaps Sabaton could make their return. Yes, they already played Atlanta earlier this year, but a special set from them would be awesome. Same thing for Iced Earth.

NorseBlood likes this.
  18. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

after their last debacle at PP, I could care less to EVER see Iced Earth again at the fest.

19. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

The only thing I can think of is the end of the set? Jon was pissed on stage because he thought there were technical difficulties. However, it was Jon's guitar that actually blew up. Nobody could figure out wtf happened at the time, including his techs. They took it apart and it was blackened/charred on the inside. His tech told him he never seen that happen in his 20 years on the road. Once Jon was shown, he was incredulous and couldn't believe it either.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I just want you to know that Jon was one of the most gracious and coolest guys to ever attend the fest backstage.

Mardoch likes this.
  20. labarum

labarum Cotton Candy Collector

I've been saying it for years, its time for Volbeat to have their redemption round at ProgP :)