This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Joel McIver - 100 greatest guitarists in metal

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Rei-kun, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

+1

While Blackmore, Schenker, and Roth may have been the first rock/metal guitarists to meld classical music with balls out Marshalls, Rhoads took it to a whole different level. He wrote great riffs and his solos fit seamlessly into each song. It's a shame we were deprived of his talent so soon.

2. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

No Criss Oliva, then fuck your joke of a list!

~Brian~

3. Metal66

Metal66 Member

What no Micheal Amot, Jorn Viggo Lofstod, or Gus G.

4. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

LOL I'd look up Kiko if I were you. And Stef....

5. Metaldrumz

Metaldrumz Member

Who gives a fuck about these stupid best of lists? Herman from Dragonforce at # 20? LOL.

These lists are good for a laugh and that's about it. Besides "greatest" is all subjective anyways.

Most of these moronic lists is a popularity jerk off session.

6. fwr1982

fwr1982 New Metal Member

The list is flawed, but Mustaine at #1 is actually quite justifiable. We could argue about what you may think of his more pop music, his voice, his weaknesses as a lyricist, him being a pompous ass, etc., but at the end of the day - Mustaine is an absolutely "bulletproof" guitar player. I'll close with McCiver's claim in a nutshell - there are alot of guiarists that can do certain things way better, but he can do it all pretty fucking good. He is an absolute guitar genius - a complete metal riff machine. Not to mention keeping megadeth going for thirty years almost single-handedly. Basically, the guy can fucking play!

7. SF Metal Man

SF Metal Man Member

You beat me to it. Rudolf ahead of Michael? And no Uli Jon Roth at all? He can't even rate the Scorpions right let alone the rest of the field. And he has Janick Gers but not Yngwie, Blackmore or Rhoads? Clearly he either doesn't know much about music or didn't give much thought into this.

8. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

Lazarus, come forth.

9. OrionSon

OrionSon Member

Some of these I just think should be together, like Downing and Tipton or Adrian Smith and Dave Murray. They just work so well as a team I can't think of putting them as separate.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

Yeah, why the thread resurrection?

11. jayson bourne

jayson bourne New Metal Member

I wish people would actually READ THE BOOK. There is a section specifically for "shredders," wherein R.R., Slash, Kind Edward, Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Michael Batio and others are mentioned. McIver apparently felt they needed a special section all their own. Also, there is a 50 member "honorable mention" list. Chris and John Olivia are mentioned there. Lastly, I agree with Mustaine on top for all around "metalness", but what about Chris Broderick???? Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield (as much as a I like them) better than Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Gers????? I...DON'T...THINK...SO. All those guys I mentioned should be in at least the top 30. Anyway, it was a good, subjective attempt by a man who obviously knows more about metal than I do. Can't please everybody.

12. jayson bourne

I agree man. Chris Broderick? Where is he? Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland and Michael Romeo should be in the top 20. Kirk and James better than they are? uuhhh. no.

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

Dude, this thread is 4 years old now. Let it die already.

14. jayson bourne

First of all, what I'm going to say to you is not meant to be inflammatory. Second, I'm not your "dude" and quite sure you wouldn't speak to me that way in person; apparently you don't know how lame it is to insult/criticize a complete stranger over the safety of the internet. Im extremely strong and am certain you would not speak to me that way in person. Third, If you don't like my comments, why don't you just "let them die already" by not responding to them? Have you no self-restraint? I'm brand new to this site and pretty sure that I don't have to explain myself to you. Please try to practice what you preach. If "this thread is 4 years old now," why don't you just let it die and not respond to me any further? Why did you respond in the first place? Why didn't you "just let my comment die"? Anyhow, peace to you, but lease don't bother responding cuz I won't read it. If your comment typifies the way people communicate on this site, then I'm out for good.

15. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Jayson, first off.... welcome to the board.

No, this comment does not typify the way people communicate on this site. There are a few that need to be reminded of social manners now and then, but it is a fairly civil and docile place. The printed (or displayed) word does not always come across the way it was intended. There are those that do some good-natured ribbing now and again.... but we definitely keep an eye out for unwarranted personal attacks via posts. As you well know, opinions are like a$$holes....everybody's got one.

Hang in there, and I hope you decide to stick around.

16. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

Umm, if anyone is lacking social manners its Jayson, his response to Longshot is completely unwarranted.

17. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Again, opinions are.....well, everybody's got one. :)