This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

L2 go heavy...

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Tommy Gun, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ...might be drunk.

This is just a rant... But it drives me bat shit...

Please... LEARN TO PLAY HEAVIER GAUGE STRINGS...

If you're playing a 24.75" scale 6-string, tuned to Drop C, your 6th string should be a fucking .060 when you're tracking. I could give a damn what you use live (I'm not coming out to watch you anyway), but if you're going to track guitars, TIGHTEN UP (LITERALLY)! Don't be a pussy! SRV used to play GHS Progressives .013-.056 in E FLAT!!! Eat your Wheaties and GO BUY NEW STRINGS!!!

Thanks. :bah:

2. StefTD

StefTD Member

+1000000 and think of a few more zeros, I really love using thick strings, but I am a bass player, too.
    Had to record a guitar player once, using a 24,75" scale in Drop C with .046 as his thickest string...
    that tone just sucked, and he wasn't hitting very well, too, it just sounded like pure shit.

3. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

i wish i could use 60. strings, well i didn't try but i think it won't fit my sperzel tuners holez....right?

4. guitarklown

guitarklown Member

I use Elixir 12-52 on my drop C# 24 fretter. The tension is excellent and the thing stays in tune all the time.. I'm sure guys with locking trems and nuts have a much easier decision when it comes to strings and such, but for me, the only thing that works is Elixir Heavies with that beautiful wound G.

5. Tommy Gun

To my knowledge, the Sperzels will take the .060 but I don't have anything with Sperzels myself. I use these.

My Gibson Flying V is in E flat atm, with Ernie ball Power Slinkys (.011-.048), low is too loose, so I'm changing to .010-.052 this week.

6. 006

006 Member

Haha, agreed on the heavier string points. Also, I use those tuners they :headbang:

7. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow Den Mørke Natt

I am using 11-54 for Drop B (25.5in scale) and 9-52 for my standard tuned 7 string. Got a problem with it, tough, deal with it :heh:

8. Tommy Gun

LOL

I'm not the one who has to deal with your low B string wobbling in and out of tune pal. That's all you. :D

9. Wolfeman

Wolfeman I Prefer EL-34s. So What?

I don't remember if it was the .60 or .70 I had to do it for, but the Sperzel locking tuners required a slight boring of the hole. Not too much, just a little. Easily fixed with a drill bit.

10. Dexter_prog

Dexter_prog New Metal Member

edit: didn't realize you said 22.75"

11. Tommy Gun

Actually I said 24.75", but the same tensions should apply to a 25.50" scale with a floating trem, considering the "give" in resistance from the tremolo. Not that ANYONE should EVER track rhythm guitars with a floating tremolo! And honestly, if you're not a sissy, you can go this heavy on a 25.50" scale with a fixed bridge.

12. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

guess i just have to try it, hope the tuner does not get fucked up! :lol:

13. kernelxsanders

kernelxsanders Bam Bam Boogie Bear!

from what i hear, lighter strings sound more ballsy and thicker strings sound tighter. opinions on that statement? i play skinny top heavy bottoms with my guitar in A# right now. but i want to switch to something with a .60+ at the top. just want it to sound heavy and tight. like within the ruins-esque.

14. Dexter_prog

Dexter_prog New Metal Member

It was a typo, haha. Anyhoo, I am on a 25"5 guitar tuned in B standard and .59 is heavy enough. Actually, I can't find heavier strings here, and that .59 I am getting it from a 7 string set, even though I one a 6-string.

15. Tommy Gun

When my V was tuned to B, I bought individual strings and I think it was something like 13-17-26-36-46-60

16. Matthias King

Matthias King The Machine

I tune my King V to C standard and use 13-56. I suppose I could go heavier, although I'm not sure my tuners will allow for much more. I made that mistake once before where I bought a set that was heavier and the lowest string wouldn't fit through the damn tuner. I don't recall the size of that heavier set I tried though.

17. Tommy Gun

Yeah, aftermarket tuners are usually a must for me.

18. muckypup1

muckypup1 Sinister Haven \m/

I used to use 10-52 for standard E on my 6 string, and i like at least a 60 on my 7 string, but i would rather i had a 60 or even a 70 and the 7 string is a 26.5 scale guitar, a wimpy 58 or 60 just don't cut it :D

19. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow Den Mørke Natt

Actually the Low B isn't the issue with me. I have intonation problems with the G string on my 6 string and the High E being inconsistent over the frets as its time for new strings. I would like to go higher,something like 9-58 for my 7 string and something like 12-58 for my 6 string, but the current set I am using is the heaviest I can get at any music stores before they have the wound g string which I refuse (and the plain is so thick it has NO resonance), I am not a fucking rhythm player, plain g for me only.

To me you can't go any higher than a 60 on a 25.5 before they loose resonance and just become dull "thuds" with no sustain. If you want to go lower or want heavier gauges, you need at least a 27 inch scale, which I have debated before, but as weak as my hands are (I have extremely poor grip), I couldn't handle the extra tension.

20. Tommy Gun

You have intonation issues because the strings aren't thick enough. Also, you don't go heavier with a 27" scale. The longer scale provides extra string tension on it's own. As for a .060 putting out nothing but a "thud" on a 25.50" scale, I think Jeff Loomis might argue that point with you. His 7-string is down only a half-step and his strings are 10-13-17-30-42-52-70. Pretty sure he gets plenty of resonance/sustain from his 7th string. Ya think?