This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Let's make me a good bassist... tips?

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by (__Joonas__), Feb 7, 2017.

1. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

It's true. Seeing and making patterns is the definition of a wizard. Today I was creating one over a sports regime.

2. (__Joonas__)

I've made a massive leap in grasping the songwriting. You'll be floored when you hear this shit one day.

ESA1996 likes this.
  3. (__Joonas__)

Really can't decide whether to use keyboard or not... I only want it for some ghostly choirs sounds. Also there's the aspect of piano having the attacky, lush but short sound, which can't be emulated with guitar. I need to think if I can come up with choirs that fit this type of metal... Maybe I'm limiting myself unnecessarily with E and no keyboard?... But I tried different tunings again and I just like the tight sound of E, and I hate bulky strings on guitar... Of course D is great with its type of music, but even D seems too low for black metal. I was considering drop D, but it encourages using the low power chords so much that it steers away from black metal subconsciously. On E I just miss a couple lower power chords sometimes. I'm challenging myself to create heaviness with music rather than sound.

#223 (__Joonas__), Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. (__Joonas__)

Nearly finished with a new song (one of the seven I've been planning all along), and it's manifesting as I intended. Same as in my other creative hobby it's like I'm incubating certain ideas for a long time and eventually they sort of give birth to themselves. First there's an abstract idea that evolves to something more concrete until I sort of see how it's crafted. I like to have an idea in my mind before grabbing the instrument and talking with it.

5. (__Joonas__)

I now have five songs ready out of the seven (minus some arrangements). It's shaping up to be a hell of an album. Can't wait to let you hear it. It's got a strong theme and artwork also.

6. (__Joonas__)

I can now answer my own question of old about staying within scale or not.

It's challenging enough creativity-wise to make interesting music with all notes that exist, so limiting yourself to a certain scale is like voluntarily crippling yourself by tearing off your legs before war. I give special mention to the acoustic guitar guys who are overly concerned about theory and want to write songs in those mathematical formations they think is the only correct way to do it... wonder why they almost never write a good song... not to say they could if they forgot about theory, but are they really so invalid creativity-wise they voluntarily enslave themselves to those silly chord progression rules and being careful about not investigating anything interesting...

I stopped thinking about the scale completely and just think about intervals. Especially black metal uses dissonance deliberately, it just has to be done tastefully, just as the softening satisfaction of tension to release is used sparingly.