This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Live Videos Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by (__Joonas__), Oct 8, 2009.

1. COB-666

COB-666 Member

2. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

I understand they have to support their new album, but it would have been nice to see them play much more old material instead of some of the stuff on there. Oh well, I guess. I saw them twice and they were pretty good both times but I think that they've run their course honestly. I'll certainly miss them because they were a big part of where I am as a guitar player, and their music made a huge impact on me when I first heard Black Widow all those years ago.

3. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

They play too many 'pop' songs from their catalogue (eleven songs off CRY, wtf?) instead of understanding they have more exciting songs that are rarely if ever played. And then learn the lyrics, too, and dedicate to the vocals, act a bit pissed off on stage. It doesn't feel like they're "out to kill" when playing a weird setlist and not dedicating to vocals. Making a good setlist is like making a song, you just have to do it alone or the feeling gets messed up. Not going into unnecessary details, but there are many ways to make their setlists more moody and electrifying. I've given up after seeing they already dropped Warheart and Hatebreeder off the set and went back to certain other songs. The green and blue album are their best, stick with that as foundation, then add from elsewhere, with taste.

I think the whole joking-between-songs thing is also the wrong way to 'set up' the feeling for this kind of music, instead they should just do horror ambient and short, depressed talks as passages, these are great to intensify the feeling and create suspense. It would be more impactful also if Alexi acted like barely anyone in the crowd knows who they are - that's how you draw new blood, not by being buddies with those that are already your fans, while unknowingly shutting away the rest of the world.

Things have changed with the last four albums not being dark enough, but who knows, maybe a miracle will happen if the new players are metal-heads who subconsciously push the songwriter for a darker style album, and maybe the singer will get freed up with the cleared chemistry.

#1403 (__Joonas__), Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  4. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Dude, their last 3 albums where more than double as dark as their first 5. Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper and HCDR are full of happy-metal songs.

I honestly don't get what you want. You want their old style back with songs similar to the ones off HB and FTR and on the other side you want darker albums. That doesn't match.

Works0fheart and P4T0U like this.
  5. (__Joonas__)

^I don't know dude. On the other hand I hear FTR (the song) as uplifting, while some hear it as dark. I think Halo of Blood is the darkest song they've done in the last ten years and it's not surprise I like it, having gone more towards the black metal stuff. People perceive music differently. To me Hatebreeder is their darkest album and every day I realize more and more how amazing the first songs are, it's like you put a venomous serpent in your player that'll come haunt you in your sleep.

6. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

I think we have a different understanding of the word "dark" in connection with the word "music".

The darkest song on HB is... nope. There's no dark song. All typical neoclassical Bodom songs with happy melodies. The darkest song on FTR is maybe ETID. All other aren't dark as well.

Compare any song of HB with songs like Widdershins or HoB.

Works0fheart likes this.
  7. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

I can kind of see what Joonas means. While the songs on HB aren't as dark as material by other bands, Black Widow and Downfall definitely have an eerie type of vibe to them.

8. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

CoB were always more angry than dark, no matter early or late albums. I wouldn't call neither HoB nor early stuff dark. Certain riffs maybe, whole songs no. Alexi loves melody and in order to be dark you need to play around with dissonant unstable sound. For example:

Melodic death metal rarely ever wanders into that territory.

<Arcane> likes this.
  9. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

Moreover as we know Alexi has lived his depressive moments of his life rather in a reckless, self-abusing way than "crying in the corner, vein cutting" ?hence Wild Child?

#1409 NewHewkas, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  10. CharIie

CharIie Formerly known as Joker and IDontKnowWhatToWrite

Talking of dark CoB song, I believe Hexed was their darkest album to date. The early albums were all about neo-classical melodies (which often gave off a happy vibe indeed), the later albums were more *chugga chugga*. But Hexed has got this very dark groove going on. I mean, listen to Say Never Look Back. That song evokes at best sadness and anger, and at worst deep anguish and despair.

11. CharIie

Or Soon Departed. I mean... Everything about this is so tensed.

I know this is an unpopular opinion around the forum. But I still think Hexed might actually be the best Children of Bodom album. And that's coming from someone who loves the early Bodom rather than the late.

P4T0U likes this.
  12. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Hexed definitely is a good one IMO. It was my most listened to album of 2019 according to Spotify. I wouldn't say it's my favorite from Bodom, but it does fit into the top 5 I think. Can't decide which one I prefer H or HOB.

13. COB-666

COB-666 Member

" 2019 12.15 THE CHAPTER CALLED CHILDREN OF BODOM, HELSINKI, ICE HALL "
    Full show:

14. (__Joonas__)

Kinda old. On that video the songs are cut and slotted to chronological order, which makes no sense, then everyone thinks that's the order they were played.

15. Стас Проклятый

Стас Проклятый Boss Russian Hate Crew

Very rare live video! Live in Moscow 16.08.2003
    Setlist: 01. Needled 24/7 02. Hate Me! 03. Chokehold (Cocked 'n' Loaded) 04. Silent Night, Bodom Night 05. Lake Bodom 06. You're Better Off Dead 07. Bodom After Midnight 08. Sixpounder 09. Angels Don't Kill 10. Towards Dead End

COB-666 and rj rl like this.
  16. CharIie

Oh wow... That's a find !

17. CharIie

You're better off dead... I never thought I'd see this one live. A hidden Gem.

18. Johnny_victor

Johnny_victor Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that this was Roope's first gig in the band :)

19. Sany

Sany Member

@25:06 you hear that awesome YBOD melody. Alexi and Roope where so talented these days, but alcohol destroyed it all...

COB-666 likes this.
  20. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

Very nicely played and surprising sound clarity for a 2003 bootleg.
    DEAD sleeveless Alexi = best Alexi