This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LORD returns to Japan - October 2010

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Aussie_Metalchild, May 1, 2010.

1. Bucko

Bucko Member

nope ...

but you can use every thing bus, train ferry ... the lot but yeah rather expensive ...

2. Sargeant Squidlips

Sargeant Squidlips Handsome Devil

Spike, keep in mind its a fair distance between Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka, and the trains do it in record time leaving you more time to chill and site see. Pricey but worth it if you want to maximise your experience.

3. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

7 day rail pass is good value. You're using bullet trains in between cities and also includes most suburban rail as well. Its unlimited.

4. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

That's right, and casual tickets are WAY expensive too, especially to/from the airport to downtown Tokyo.

5. Lord Tim

Little tip too that I actually got from watching that steaming bowl of faecal matter "Sunrise" today: Don't exchange your money for Yen at Sydney or Melbourne airport. The dollar is sitting at $0.96 US right now and Travelex's official rate is $0.93, BUT if you go to the Travelex at Sydney Airport you'll get $0.86! They have variable rates depending on where you go. The way around it is to log onto the Travelex website and order your cash and then collect it at the airport, or simply find a different exchange place with a better rate.

6. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

Tim, if we're heading to the domestic terminal and we ordered cash, would we have to trek up to the international terminal or would they have Travelexs in the domestic?

7. Bucko

Bucko Member

Phones? what do you suggest, buy one overthere or just get your existing one set to "Roaming " Is that the term and they whore yourself out when you get back to pay for it

8. Lord Tim

OK, for money I'd suggest even finding a Travelex NOT at the airport to be honest. If you get stuck then the "order the cash, pick it up at the airport" thing will work, but there's PLENTY of offices around elsewhere, and you'll likely even find a few in Cairns seeing as it's a pretty major tourist destination. http://www.travelex.com.au/Store-Locator

Here we go: Cairns store:
    Cairns Central
    Shop 73, Cairns Central Shopping Centre,
    Corner of Spence and McLeod Streets,
    Cairns, Queensland, 4870

I'll likely change my money there.

Phones - well... Japan is kind of a weird place to go. If you have a good quad band phone it'll work there but you need to call up your phone company and get them to set up international roaming first before you go or it won't be activated. Your phone will automatically jump onto the first provider it finds (and then switch to others if you drop out of signal), so you should have fairly consistent coverage.

Some big caveats: Using your phone overseas is EXPENSIVE, especially roaming data charges. Stuff that you'd normally get thrown in for free on your plan (like free calls, SMS, Facebook, etc.) mean absolutely nothing when you're overseas because you're not using your home provider, you're calling through the foreign one. If you make any calls to even someone in the next room, your call will first connect to the foreign provider and get routed back to Australia to your home provider and then call back to Japan, so you're essentially making TWO internationally priced calls to call someone in the next room, so it better be worth it! And if anyone calls you, you pick up the international portion of their call, so for instance, if someone calls your phone, to them it's just a regular call to a mobile phone rather than an international call to you overseas, and to make up the difference, YOU get charged for it.

So yeah, think hard about whether you want to bring your phone. I will be, and the convenience of having your own number so people can get in touch, plus your address book, camera, etc. that you'd have on your phone is all there. But it's hideously expensive to use, so you need to be very careful.

Everywhere else in the world, you can just get a local SIM card and put that in your phone but the telecommunications laws in Japan are very different and your only option if you don't want to bring your own phone is to rent one at the airport, which is also reaaaalllly pricey. Granted, not as bad as an hour long call on your normal phone would cost so if you do plan to make a lot of calls, that's a good option, but if not, I'd avoid renting.

9. Bucko

Bucko Member

ok so two Beer cans and a piece of string will do nicely for a phone then ...

10. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Yen is sitting at around .80c, I just got 76.99cents at my bank, pick the money up on thursday.

11. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

It's getting uber real now!!
    We have Yen, rail passes, travel insurance, some accom. booked, a plan of things we want to see.
    Postcards to leave on Hostel boards, money belts, passports, just have to throw some black t-shirts and undies in a bag.
    Oh and a last minute to the chemist, because I might need some condoms. *giggles*
    Thanks for the advice Mr Balfour. ;)

12. Bucko

Bucko Member

hmmm a plan of things to see ... You sound too Organised Red

13. Ralphe

Ralphe Go the ROOSTERS!

looks like have to buy concert tickets at the shows. I can't find anywhere to buy tickets for the Japan shows.i found somewhere to get tickets for Doro's shows in Europe but that doesn't help for Japan.

Bucko, might see you at Syd Airport Thurs morning although you leave 1 hour before me(going via gold coast) so maybe not.i assume you are staying in Syd on Wed night. i will be on the same flight home from Osaka (but a different flight from the gold coast to Sydney)

Wonder if i will be able to find somewhere in Nagoya to watch the Bathurst V8's....go the Holdens!!!

Looking forward to finding a karaoke bar as well.....Lookout Tokyo i'm coming to sing!

14. Bucko

Bucko Member

maybe... lol .... Oh Karaoke ... hmmm Sanj and I have seen you in full flight ...

Bad Boy for love ... I am bad boy for love ... grabs another mouthfull of VB

15. Crabby

Crabby Member

What he said.

16. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Yes, I was going to ask about the show tickets too.

We are only going to the Tokyo and Osaka shows.
    We don't really have everything planned, gonna wing it along the way, but my daughter went to Japan last year.
    There were many things she didn't get to do/see being with a school. So we will get to do more this time round.
    We plan on being in Tokyo, then heading straight to Osaka. So many things to do in and around Osaka.
    Also, they have less curfews with their hostels/hotels and we want to go out late, have to see Dotombori at night!!

17. \m/Damian\m/

\m/Damian\m/ Member

Thanks guys! :)

Leaving for Cairns this arvo, it all begins! :D

see whoever's going there! \m/

18. Lord Tim

19. Maruty Friedman

Maruty Friedman Maru of Metalucifer

Hi guys
    I just told Andy about ticket. I've arranged your tickets, you can buy one at venue for adv price per show.
    I herad Tokyo 5 tickets, Nagoya 3 and Osaka 5.
    Also I'm sure meet & greet time after show at venue. You can get autographe and picture alot!

kampai
    Maru

20. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Good luck in Japan guys!

I'm kicking myself I didn't book a flight to Japan. :erk: