This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lovecraft fans

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA Lounge' started by Ruthven, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Ruthven

Ruthven Member

Any other HPL fans here?

2. Chai

Chai Marching with Mephisto

<--- I'm not quite as well-read as I'd like. I've read the essential couple of stories (call of cthulhu, etc), but definitely need to broaden my horizons. Any recommendations?

3. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

I'm a casual fan, so I'm interested in hearing some reading recommendations as well. I know a fair amount about HPL's stuff and have seen several adaptations of various stories, but I can't swear to reading anything in its entirety. (!)

4. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

I do love HP Lovecraft.... here's what Raggi told me.

And now from Jim Raggi...

http://www.arkhamhouse.com/

The hardcover collections The Dunwich Horror and Others, At the Mountains of Madness, and Dagon and Other Macabre Tales are as complete a collection of Lovecraft's originals as you'll find with no duplication between them. I have these. Pricey, but excellent. I don't have The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions though.

http://www.nightshadebooks.com and others sell Lovecraft and other Weird-Tales related authors as well.

Look up Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror in Literature essay. It's an excellent buying guide and much of that stuff can be found on Amazon. Be prepared for some intense reading as everything there is 75+ years old.

5. Entrerie

Entrerie Member

I'm familiar with HPL but have not read much, however I have been exposed to his works in various mediums. The last thing I saw was the 2005 B&W Call of Cthulu movie that was styled to be like a silent film and before that the other numerous movies like Dagon, Necronomicon, Re-animator, etc. Also the various games.

I think Dagon is my favorite out of all of them.

6. Jim LotFP

Jim LotFP The Keeper of Metal

Yeah, this should be emphasized. It's good for generating a reading list and learning about what Lovecraft is all about as well - his attitudes are on parade throughout the essay.

The essay:

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ab.ca/superhor.htm

7. Yippee38

Yippee38 Living the dream!

I got lucky and picked up the At the Mountains of Madness compilation from the bookstore as my first exposure to HPL. It is still my favorite from him. I read it and thought it was scary, but I couldn't figure out why. Some of his other stuff is excellent too, but some was just so-so. I can't think of any titles that really stand out, but I remember the stories I liked.

8. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Lovecraft RULES.

9. Pellaz

Hmmm, this reminds me to check out what Lovecraft adaptations are available from the Atlanta Radio Theater Company.
    For years, it was their tradition to adapt an HPL story for the stage as a live audio play perfomed at Dragon*Con, and they did an excellent job considering it was an all-volunteer effort.

EDIT: from www.artc.org :

10. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Very interesting essay. Can be a hard read, and I skipped over a lot because I wanted to read some of the stories mentioned without already knowing how they end hehe. Heh. I wonder if I could get a PhD in Horror Fiction.

And Paul I'm sure you also have the Lovecraft & Witch Stories album =d

11. Pellaz

Lovecraft and Witchhearts. And yep, I have it. The first disc is a tidy 'best of' collection. An analysis of WREKage playlists would show that I pull that CD out a lot. :)

12. metalprof

metalprof Ken Luther

I assume everyone has seen Re-Animator and From Beyond? If not, what are you waiting for??? :)

Also, has anyone else read Thomas Ligotti? I only ever saw three books of his, but I'm pretty sure there are more on smaller presses. He's one of those, "If you like Lovecraft, you should try ... " authors. One of his story collections, Noctuary, contains several short stories that are only 2-3 pages in length and some of them gave me more heebie jeebies than many of Lovecraft's longer tales.

Ken

13. Ruthven

Ruthven Member

I like what I have read by Ligotti. He wrote one horror story that was structured as a "how to write a horror story" piece.

14. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

No on all accounts =p

15. spag

spag I am a leaf on the wind

The first exposure to HPL was in a couple of issues of this old underground comic book called "Slow Death". I still have them in a box somewhere. Really cool, demented pen and ink artwork. After those, I started buying what I could in used book stores. Then when I had the cash, some of the Arkham House hardbacks.

That was of course before my whole "no more books" attitude that I have now. I love reading, but I don't purchase them anymore, as I'm sick of moving them around. In fact, I still have 10-boxes of them to donate...

16. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Just watched the movie - "Beyond the wall of sleep"

It isn't horrible, but it wasn't very well done. Could have been done a lot better. The acting was poor, and the attempt to channel the older style of film and especially sci-fi film was an interesting choice but I don't think worked all that well. Its only remotely close to the story, though with its modifications it does try to channel Lovecraft. Just needed to be done better.

BTW.

www.eponymous.org/lovecraft/

personally I have a hard time reading online... would have to print these out.

17. spag

spag I am a leaf on the wind

Yeah, there have been some pretty bad Lovecraft derived movies. Some people are mixed on them too. For example, I thought "Dagon" was pretty good, but a friend of mine hated it. "The Resurrected" was pretty good as well.