This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mac RIP

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Fire breath, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kez

Kez pronounced Keez

Damnit.

Just damnit.

2. GameFreac

GameFreac The Derminator

Never heard of him but that sucks...we share the same last name. Wonder if we're related.

3. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

I feel ya, bro! :(

4. mëtålspëd

mëtålspëd Umlauts ist Krieg

5. Eyes Of Horus

Eyes Of Horus Member

After 20 years the debut Sargant Fury is still one of my favorite albums ever.

RIP Mac :cry:

6. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

i second that, my friend. i was so happy to be able to reissue those albums for those guys so the world could hear how killer a hard rock band SARGANT FURY was.

here is a fun cover of Maniac (done 13 years before FIREWIND i might point out)

#46 TribunalRecords, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  7. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Via http://www.bravewords.com/news/166748

THRESHOLD Members Pay Tribute To Former Singer Andrew 'Mac' McDermott

[​IMG]

Threshold guitarist Karl Groom commented on his passing: "Mac played a large part in the story of Threshold and appeared on five studio albums. He also sang on numerous fan club releases and live albums. Although I have not seen him since 2007, for the last video shoot in Leipzig, he still remains in our minds and there is a big sense of loss. I have spoken to and seen ex members of the band over the last two days who are all very saddened by this turn of events. We remember Mac as being so vibrant and full of life, so find this news is hard to accept."

McDermott had "serious health problems" in the months leading up to his death, according to a June 2011 statement from the German melodic metal band Powerworld, with whom he recorded the 2010 album Human Parasite.

Threshold keyboard player Richard West echoed the sentiments of numerous fans who left messages of condolence on Threshold's Facebook site:

"Mac had such a big personality and one of the world's greatest rock voices, it's so very sad that we lost him so young. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones".

McDermott had "serious health problems" according to a June update from POWERWORLD who parted ways with the singer - 'Mac' can be heard on the band's 2010 album Human Parasite.

McDermott's most recent musical venture was the band SWAMP FREAKS who "took some of the cool 'n' heavy from the '70s, FREE, ZEP, SABBATH and mashed it up with some '90s anarchy, PEARL JAM, NIRVANA, ALICE IN CHAINS, threw in some R.H.C.P and a sprinkle of punk rock."

McDermott had a long run Threshold, from 1998's Clone to 2007's impressive Dead Reckoning opus. His professional career started in the early '90s with SARGANT FURY where he recorded three albums with the German metallers.

A condolences page has been set up at this location.

8. MetalAges

MetalAges Captain Spectacular
    Staff Member

Just read this news. Terrible :(

I had almost though that when they were saying he was "sick" with Powerworld that it was a way of being nice and that he was flaking on the band, sad to see this is not the case :(

9. Met-Al

Met-Al Member

It's sad to know that we will never hear one of the most gifted and unique voices in hard rock and heavy metal ever again. My thoughts are with those closest to him.

Stay metal. Never rust.
    Albert

10. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

11. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

Horrible news. Threshold were one of the first prog metal bands that I got into and Mac was just an awesome vocalist. He will be missed RIP

12. SkiBumMSP

SkiBumMSP Member

Listening to what I am pretty certain was the very last album that he was involved with right now....

Powerworld - Human Parasite:

[​IMG]

An awesome album and wish I can hear more from this guy. Rest in Peace indeed.

13. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

Ah yes, the legendry of PPIII continues to grow, we'll miss you Mac

14. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Member

15. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/187998 :

On the one year anniversary of the passing of former vocalist Andrew 'Mac' McDermott, UK progressive metallers THRESHOLD have uploaded some previously unseen footage of one of McDermott’s last performances with the band as a tribute to him.

In the video McDermott performs the track ‘Mission Profile’ at the Z7 in Switzerland on September 17th, 2004. Check it out below:

#55 KingsGene, Aug 3, 2012
  16. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

17. labrekk

labrekk Member

Dead Reckoning was released in 2007. Didn't they tour for it? If so, why is a 2004 performance "one of his latest" with the band? In any ways, Mac ruled and is missed. R.I.P.

#57 labrekk, Aug 3, 2012
  18. Mosquito

Mosquito oh noes!!

They did tour for Dead Reckoning and in fact ProgPower was part of that tour, but Mac left right before the tour began. Damian was pulled in and the rest is history. There was a lot of anger in the Thresh camp towards Mac after that, but obviously the death of Mac hit them all pretty hard. RIP.

19. 5150

5150 Member

Here's an official video from PP with Damian for the Dead Reckoning tour [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyzqCj9xpXA&feature=relmfu[/ame]

20. Metal66

Metal66 Member

Just wathched the 2004 video it was awesome I will miss him dearly. what a VOICE!!!