This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Making the change-over from Physical Media.

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by jhallum, Sep 21, 2015.

1. spag

spag I am a leaf on the wind

That's the problem I have. A lot of CDs, and for sure, some of them, especially a lot of the prog, is just fairly common stuff. Nobody here is going to buy my Iron Maiden or Iced Earth CDs. Who doesn't have those already? Plus, even cataloging them for sale is questionable for time/benefit.

Selling in bulk makes sense, even if you don't get top dollar. Back when I used to sell occasionally on Ebay, the hassle of packaging, trips to the post office, etc, is hardly worth it. Especially these days.

2. MetalAges

MetalAges Captain Spectacular
    Staff Member

I just bought the whole of Maiden's CDs recently - because the price was right (and nice chunk anyways). I've never been a HUGE Maiden fan but recently started getting their stuff. It's a matter of finding dorks like me at the right price, at the right time :) I promise there are more, haha.

I actually still need a couple if you have the ones that are the enhanced release, that form the Eddie picture on the spines. Have those?

3. dtfanatic

dtfanatic Member

Like MetalAges said you never know, eppst1 bought my Maiden stuff from my list in the Lounge. Yes they were the mini CD album versions, but someone was looking for something in particular and bought them. I'm not an Iced Earth fan, but say someone else is just getting into them, and believe me it is always the case with someone with some band and always will be. Doesn't hurt to try to put out a list.

4. Keir

Keir Member

Ha! Nice to find someone else who does that.

To be honest, I buy so many old records and tapes that aren't even available in a legal digital format that the thought of switching to digital has zero appeal to me. For new music I will add my piece to the bandcamp love (though I only buy stuff on bandcamp when it comes with a physical copy!)

5. Sumeet

Sumeet Member

I don't keep tabs on physical releases that closely anymore, but I believe these are the versions that are still in print currently, aren't they? If so, I think they're widely available for like $10 - $11. :)

6. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

7. MetalAges

Staff Member

That's the problem with Maiden stuff, there are so many versions. These in particular are the ones that once you shelve them they form this (as I found out, there are even 2 versions of these that, if you get the wrong one, the picture is skewed):

[​IMG]

8. dtfanatic

dtfanatic Member

Yes that is true because although they are the same thing, there is the "Raw Power" version (made in England), and the Sanctuary/Metal Is versions. And that picture shows code #'s at the bottom which aren't on either the Raw Power or Sanctuary/Metal Is versions. So there might actually be three versions. I just checked mine, and I have the Raw Power versions 127 to 137. My Live at Donington happens to be a Sanctuary Version (d'oh!), so it doesn't quite look right because the spine is slightly different. So anyone looking for LaD Sanctuary/Metal Is version I can let that go as I actually need a Raw Power LaD 138. As you can also notice on the picture, you actually have to file these in reverse chronological order to get the Eddie image right!

9. Spiner202

Spiner202 Member

My collection has a ton of holes in it. For some reason I'm always looking for random stuff rather than filling out discographies or even exploring some common name bands that I never really knew what they sounded like. I think you would be surprised at what sells if you list it.

Also, if you don't want to list it out, you can always put it in a box and take a picture with the spines up. It's pretty easy to read that way.

10. MetalAges

Staff Member

There was a complete box set that was released, it may be from that.

I need a few from the Raw Power releases.

11. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

LOL. For me, it's just easier to sell to a single buyer, even if that means less money.

12. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

If you're going to go to the trouble of ripping your CDs (especially if you intend to sell your CDs), you might as well do so to FLAC. You can always rip MP3s from your FLAC files, but you can never go in the opposite direction.

13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Member

I still always buy the physical CD. I still enjoy the thrill of receiving the CD haul in the mail and having all the liner notes in physical form. However, the only place I actually listen to the physical CD is in my SUV which has an old 6 disk changer with no Bluetooth, Aux In or any good way to play digital media. All I can do is one of those FM modulators or a cassette adapter (yes, my CD player is 10 years old and still has a cassette player, LOL) which have crappy sound quality.

I recently decided to rip all my CDs to MP3 and I'm really glad I did it. Now I can have access to any disk in my collection anywhere. I did chose to minimize the effort of ripping by only ripping CDs for which I didn't already have MP3s so the MP3s are of mixed bitrates. The ones I ripped I did rip to 320k MP3. Perhaps I should have done FLAC, but at the time I just wanted access to my collection in MP3 form, I wasn't trying to make perfect backups.

I had 3 computers ripping while I was at work and 4 computers ripping while I was home, so it only took me a few weeks to rip them all this way.

Whenever I replace my CD player in my SUV, I'll certainly get one capable of every method of playing MP3s. At that point, I may reconsider buying the physical CDs and go completely digital, but we'll see when that time comes.

Guy

14. The Invisible Guest

Same here ... I sold 500 mostly prog & power cd's to a local record shop on the Illinois State Univ. campus. He gave me $800. He offered me $500 .. I asked for 1k, and we settled at $800. I sold another 150 less desirable and beat up cd's for $200 to a pawn shop. I just didn't want to hassle with making up a list, and having people cherry pick what they wanted .. just wanted the stuff gone ASAP.

I hated to part with that many discs for such a low price, so I came up with an idea that will hopefully make me more money in the long run. I took the 1K and bought as much Netflix stock as I could. I guess we'll see ... hopefully in time I can double or triple my money. So far I'm down a few bucks a share .. ouch.

Britt

15. esa

esa Member

16. Exploding Ned

Exploding Ned Member

For now I buy downloads and still buy CDs, AND still buy vinyl. But as I inch closer to full retirement and moving from a house to an apt., I may switch to total downloads. Already clearing out a bunch of stuff anyway, so the music may be next to go who knows.

17. Justin G

Justin G Member

I just died a little inside.

18. Exploding Ned

Exploding Ned Member

Why's that?

19. Justin G

Justin G Member

When a guy who made a living selling albums and CDs goes digital, it's like the local drug dealer going clean. :lol:

20. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

Smart dealers don't do what they sell.