This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Making Toms to sound like Pantera?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by dan weapon, Jun 25, 2013.

1. dan weapon

dan weapon Planet Smasher

Anyone got any advice on how to make tom's sound as close to Vinnie Pauls as possible?

They have a very distinct sound... quite low tuned/hollow/scooped yet powerful... and pretty drenched in reverb.

Anyway, any advice or a suggestion of samples to start with would be appreciated! I'm covering a Pantera song for a bit of fun (with programmed drums) hence why i'm asking.

Cheers!

2. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

There should be some Slate toms which get close. I think the key is to be very brutal with your mid scoops for this type of sound. Get rid of most of what's happening between 200 to 2kHz. Clamp down on the resonant area between 100 to 200Hz. Try some peak-boosts on the high mids/highs. Don't over-saturate them with warm console saturation - keep the lows and highs, keep the transients audible. Compression to press them down a bit and emphasize the attack.

3. dan weapon

Cheers Ermz :)

4. botus99

botus99 Microphone Assassin

The "Quick Toms" in SSD are the best starting point in my opinion. Then, Ermz's comment should cover the rest :lol:

5. Benny H

Benny H Degenerate

Pity the Slate toms are tuned so high, in that regard they are way off Pantera style. I reckon the Slate floor tom is probably higher pitched than Vinnies smallest tom.

6. Darren "Jenk" Jenkins

Darren "Jenk" Jenkins Producer. Engineer. Mixer

Unfortunately it's going to be very hard to achieve that sound with programmed drums. A lot of Vinnie Paul's sound comes from the way he plays. All the Pantera albums were recorded quite different from one another yet the drums on every album have that same certain characteristic to them. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. If you use Slate toms you'll have to tune them down quite a bit.

7. dan weapon

haha, I wasn't assuming my output would be as good as Terry Date mixing Vinnie Paul! But I'll give it a go.... :D

But yeah, I've always been aware of how playing style effects sound - even Power Metal had that typical VP drum sound to it. I personally love it, same with Dime's tone which I guess is the same; his sound thickened up a little during the later years, but he pretty much always got the same vibe out of different gear.

8. colonel kurtz

colonel kurtz Member

loose/low tuned heads
    smiley face eq
    huge reverb

9. slo77y

slo77y Member

big, deep shells, very loose tuning, absolutely kill the mids

10. dan weapon

And a huge fucking boost at around 4k it appears - a bit of presence to compensate for the scooping.

Wouldn't say I've absolutely nailed it yet or anything, but it's at least a lot closer than I started out with :)

11. Bay Studio

Bay Studio Member

As already mentioned, slate has the Panty Kit. SHould get you there with ermz comment. You can tune to your liking in SSD

12. cfh11

cfh11 Member

i remember reading a while back that all his shells are equal in width/depth (i.e. toms are 12x12, 14x14 etc). not sure this really helps your scenario but i thought it was interesting.