This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 opinions

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Tercero, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Tercero

Tercero Member

Have any of you guys used one of these? One popped up for sale locally for a good price, but they've got a garbage cabinet to check it out on. I've checked out some YouTube videos and my interest is piqued. Any thoughts? I've got a Triple Rectifier and a 6505 for the mega high gain stuff, but this seems like it could be fun despite the solid state factor.

2. wutzington

wutzington massive member

Its fun. I love that amp, but only through the 4x10 cabinet they match with. Or maybe greenbacks. Else it's just too tight/congested/sterile sounding.

3. ~BURNY~

~BURNY~ Member

Used to have one... Twenty years ago or so. I hated it for the most part but I was an ignorant noob then so that doesn't say much. It's pure transistor, pre-valvestate era, the reverb is unusable, the clean sound was shit (with a bit of distortion leaking in it) but the amp could probably sound decent with an overdrive boost in front of it and the right settings (I remember one knob -volume maybe- was a push pull that changed the voicing significantly).

4. wutzington

wutzington massive member

Yeah, pulling the gain knob scoops the mids and activates the eq.
    Definitely needs a boost for metal stuff.
    You can get good Prong style tones that way. And scooping the mids sounds a bit Master of Puppets/early SOAD.

5. Tercero

Tercero Member

Thanks guys!

[​IMG]