This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metallica = Miley Cirus? (ticket price rant)

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Palabra de Dios, Jul 8, 2009.

1. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

Good Lord, how the mighty have fallen.

2. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

My thoughts exactly when I read about that. Obviously, laughter followed.:lol:

Well, I think that is also because they still have that underground mentality, meaning "The underground scene is NOT supposed to be a business, ever" and "if it's metal, it should be underground." Guess what, Metallica is not underground, and they haven't been for almost two decades.

Or does it have to do with the fact that people feel "special" or "better" than others for knowing about/listening to an "underground" metal band? Are they pissy that they are going to lose the one thing in life that "made them better"? :lol:

3. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Yeah, I certainly get that.
    We all want to see our favorite underground bands remain underground and play our local watering hole down the street for $5.

Guess what though? In order for our fav bands to be able to tour all year and record, they give up other careers and time with their family. Therefore, they aren't going to do it for nothing.

As much as it sucks, that is why many bands, even US ones, play more overseas shows than here in the States. Take MANOWAR for example. They could play a local bar and draw 200 people, or play Croatia to 10,000 people. Which option will enable them to remain a going concern as a band?

Unfortunately (but reality) is that "Business" is the operative term of "music business"

4. TBJ

TBJ Member

Metallica ARE Pop Stars....

nothing wrong with that, i loved Death Magnetic.

5. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Meh. I was a charter member of the Metallica Club and it went steadily downhill after Tony Smith left as president. I eventually left it.

6. Exploding Ned

Exploding Ned Member

Alot of good points being made in this thread. Jasonic and some others seem to be wired into the reality of how much it costs to tour these days. I for one have no problem paying min. $20 to see a club show. Why would anyone tour, only to go home broke? We all have lives... girlfriends/boyfriends and/or wives/husbands/kids, mortgages, car payments etc. It's flat out expensive to live these days. In the early 70s, my rent was $65 a month, elec. bill $3 a month, phone $2 a month. Those days are long gone. Having said that, I would no more go see Metallica these days as I would go see Coldplay. But then, I haven't been into mainstream bands since the 70s. Having said that, my ladyfriend wanted to see Dido a couple years back. Fine with me. Expensive, not my favorite band, but yeah I'm fine with it. It's a date. Take the ladies where they wanna go. No worries. Expensive restaurant afterwards. Fine. Sign me up. She's happy, I'm happy.

7. Braxil

Braxil Member

What I actually took from this is that a Miley Cyrus show is a real bargain! :headbang:

8. MetalRose

MetalRose ProgPower EMT

I've said that for years. No one ever agreed with me.

For as much as I love Gojira and Volbeat now being my TOP live performance EVER, I still wouldn't pay $75 (rounded) to see Metallica. Hell I wouldn't even pay that amount if Peter Steele were playing on stage, naked, dripping wet.

-Metal

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

No, they just are equally bad :heh: