This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Michael "Elvis" Baskette snare sound

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Adee, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Adee

Adee Member

I love Baskette's productions and just wondering what is his snare process and how to get the sound like, shall we say, Trivium - Silence in the snow snare sound. Sound heavy compressed but very punchy and "prominent".

2. MartijnPaauwe

MartijnPaauwe Member

I think Josh Wilbur mixed that one, screams 'Slate Snare sample' to my ears, probably with analog compression

3. mva801

mva801 Member

Yea Josh Wilbur mixed it. I HATE his snares. They sound so clipped and unnatural. I feel they're way over the top.

BUT if you're after that sound it shouldn't be too hard. Try layering a few samples, definitely a room sample in there. Probably eq out a bunch of mids, eq in a bunch of top and bottom, compress fairly hard. Clip it.

4. Adee

Adee Member

Yeah, thats true - Elvis was a producer. Anyways I like the snare a lot. I know what you mean mva801 saying that you hate it. Sound is far from natural but I like it a lot :) Thanks for your reply guys. I'll play with settings when back to the studio :)

5. BassTard

BassTard Member

Yeah, it's really extreme - sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it...

I'd go for EQ pre Comp, and a combination of different compressors.
    • Something "crisp" SSL-, API- or 1176-like (lowpass the sidechain, rather fast, high ratio (4:1 / 6:1) not overdone, maybe parallel).
    • Add something "smacky" (with a fat tone around the 150 to 250 range). Slow attack, 2:1ish ratio or soft-knee or vari-mu, be a fair child...
    • Maybe even add some upward compression for some sustain and "bottom".
    Don't be shy about EQing. Boost some real low end, use sub-enhancing or low-pass-parallel-distortion. Also, watch this:

Freeware recommendations:
    "Crisp" compressor: VoS Thrillseeker LA or Audiocation AC1 or (real extreme) Klanghelm DC1A2 - in negative mode (be careful)
    "Smack" compressor: Vldag Molot3 or Digitalfishphones Blockfish or Klanghelm MJUC Jr.
    Upward compression: Breebaart Red Phatt

Have fun!

#5 BassTard, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  6. Jordon

Jordon Member

There are some kick and snare/snare room samples that he and his engineer Jef lean on that have been passed around. One is called "CLA Kick" and one is called "TLA Snare." I was handed these samples by a reputable engineer I worked with, and they work in damn near every mix. Before Jef started working with Elvis full time, he would periodically mix out of our room, and he was a large proponent of room samples and properly selected snare samples (all of which he would make sure were aligned sample-accurate to the natural drum). On top of that, a heavy reliance on a great Neve console, a lot of saturation on the direct mics and a ton of compression on the kick.

#6 Jordon, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Machinated likes this.
  7. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Compare the first few seconds of Gojira's Mouth of Kala and Trivium's Pull Me From The Void; the decay on the snare is similar enough that I'm willing to be they're the Z4 samples of whichever Slate snare he's using on the record.