This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Wait For You...

...you know you cannot hide. Join the forum today!

Michael Kiske is still amazing.

Discussion in 'Nevermore' started by Talking Backwards, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Talking Backwards

Talking Backwards Senior Citizen

I had absolutely no idea that one of my top three favorite metal vocalists of all time had been back to doing metal since 2009. After Helloween, he had not really done much with metal outside of a few stints in Avantasia. Kai Hansen is in the band too no less.

[youtube]VcVL-Z4fgXg&index[/youtube]

Too bad the band name sucks ass.
    Discuss.

#1 Talking Backwards, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. fading

fading Graphic Designer

And Kiske still sounds killer too!!

3. Talking Backwards

He always sounded so much like a hybrid of Geoff Tate and Bruce Dickinson to me, yet somehow sounding better than both. His voice is so strong for being 46. Halford, Dio and Dickinson to a lesser extent were similar.

#3 Talking Backwards, Apr 5, 2015
  4. lorinc

lorinc Member

want some german cheese?

#4 lorinc, Apr 5, 2015
  5. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

Kiske's a great vocalist but he's not my cup of tea. Plus, he pronounces the -s- as -sh- and that always irritates me in a singer.

6. nckissfan

nckissfan Civil War reenactor

his work with Amanda Somerville is great, too!

7. Talking Backwards

At first I didn't know what you were talking about. He does do that, but it's not like it's going on with every word, or even most of them that begin or end with an s. His diction has improved a lot since Helloween.
    Did you listen to the first song? :confused:

8. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

For a minute, I read that as Jimmy Sommerville and thought, holy shit this I gotta hear!

Yes.

9. neal

neal wizard in black

TIL about Adult Contemporary Power Metal

10. Talking Backwards

I have never liked Deris, but this is pretty pathetic, even for him. In a way, this is like Blaze Bayley singing songs that were written for Bruce. Blaze isn't necessarily a bad vocalist at all, but he just doesn't sound good singing the Dickinson stuff. Deris may have been okay fifteen years ago with songs specifically written for him, but he's totally trashed his voice like Cornell through drinking and smoking.

strange falter at the very start, considering how the rest of the song goes.

#10 Talking Backwards, Apr 9, 2015
  11. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

Yeah, his falsettos are cringe-inducing. They should have hired Piet Sielck instead of Deris. He would have brought a great sound to the band, and wrecked the old songs too (in the good way). I'm a Sielck fanboy, but with good reason. And Kiske dropping the ball in the beginning a bit is forgiveable, it happens to the best vocalists. Kiske is without a doubt a better vocalist than Deris, but I assume the band prefers not to work with a swollen-head prima donna, which is why they booted Kiske in the first place.

12. Dead Winter

Dead Winter Not faggoty deathcore

If you wanna see how great Kiske still is, check out his live performance of March of Time with his new band. He's still got that scream.

13. lorinc

lorinc Member

Kiske is definitely a better singer than Deris on all points. Still, I love some of the Deris songs mostly from Better than raw. Probably some nostalgia going on here rather than astonishing performance.

14. Talking Backwards

I'm not sure where this strange hate for Kiske comes from, but according to everything that was written about his departure, that's not what happened at all. Similarly with Hansen. Most of it was them being sick of the way management was handling things, as well as Hansen feeling strange that they were ending up on the cover of teen girl magazines. Kiske in general just didn't like the way metal music scene was at the time, or the image you were supposed to show if you were a part of it.

Kind of did that right above your post, although with "I Want Out". People were commenting about his scream at the 4:00 mark too.

You guys really need to listen to the entire Light of Dawn album. To me, it sounds kind of like something in between Operation Mindcrime, Empire and Fortress (Alter Bridge).

15. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

That's not what the rest of the band claimed. One of my colleagues is good friends with several members, and they all agree Kiske was booted because of his massive ego.

And I don't hate Kiske at all, I don't know where you're getting that from. He's just not my cup of tea as a singer.

16. Talking Backwards

It was also stated many years later that the band members were saying what the management wanted them to say about the issue. That's also supposedly what caused the exchange of many heated words that happened for a few years in the 90s in various magazines. Kiske was just a kid at the time anyway, but he ended up becoming embittered when Hansen left and the rest of what was going on just drove him to quit, he wasn't kicked. Of course, that could be a bunch of lies too, so /shrug.

17. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

Well, the fact that quite a few band members have confirmed that the song "Mr. Ego" is about him says enough. Maybe Kiske still thinks it's not true, but the rest of the band certainly disagrees. But you're right, it's not like it's important.

18. Dead Winter

Helloween sucks anyway. Anything after Keeper 2 is typical German power metal cheese. Kiske is a great singer for that era, but shit man, it was 30 years ago and an era of rock music that was known more for being superfluous and artificial than anything else.

Why the fuck are we still talking about these powerprog frontmen as if they were still relevant and not a total nostalgia act? It's all the same falsetto bullshit over and over again, and nothing has changed since 1987 with these bands. They're caricatures of themselves.

Furthermore, why aren't you listening to the new Enslaved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhbqvYzvxhY

19. Talking Backwards

I'd probably agree if this was actually true at all. It's like you're arguing that people with any kind of range should simply not use it because it makes YOU think of 80s cheese or some such nonsense. Everyone should just stay in plain, everyman levels of range, or grunting/shouting everything right? You must also not know the difference between falsetto and full/head voice.

On top of that, the very first video in this thread shows how it's actually changed. It doesn't sound like it's stuck in the 80s at all, even if you can hear the history.

LOL. I just started listening to Iron Savior's latest, and thought "Wow, if this is what Pete now sounds like, Stormo probably likes Savage Garden/Persuader a lot too". But it's just because Joachim Küstner (aka mini Hansai) is doing much of the backing vocals and leads on a few songs. I'm not really much of a fan of this kind of power metal in general though, but it has more to do with the ultra-bombastic choruses than anything else. Blind Guardian is about the only band I actually enjoy that uses choruses like this for the most part.

20. Dead Winter

You're missing the point. Of course people change. Of course we all like old 80s metal sometimes for nostalgia, but all these bands you post are just the reincarnation of the same thing over and over again. It's all leather pants, shiny hair, stupid poses and too much vibrato. Yes, they're all great musicians but there's no soul in it; it's all aped from some other place.

Of course I don't think everyone should sing in the Eddie Vedder "range" or just scream in monotone for 5 minutes, but these other 80s-worshipping bands are just as trite and tired. And yes, I know the difference between falsetto and singing from your diaphragm with a full voice. What I don't understand is how people can circle jerk over almost literally the very same song played by 100 different bands for 30 years and act like they've just discovered fire for the first time in history.

I'm not trying to offend or say you have shit taste in music, I would just like you to post something that doesn't either sound like Ryche, Maiden, washed-up has-beens or the endless sea of garbage German power metal bands. Nostalgia has its place, but find me something really great. Nevermore was really great.

Again, no offense whatsoever, it's just that I think some of this stuff is a bit ho-hum and I'm always searching for something better.