This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Michael Romeo solo tone?

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by tomzitom, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Lucius Octavion

I know what you mean about the tone on PL, but it can also have something to do with the keyboard. Still I kinda know what you mean.

2. greenaxer

greenaxer Knight of the Templar

I agree with you, Meedley. His tone just sounds fatter and more muscular than on previous albums. I'm assuming this also has to do with his use of the Engl amp? To me, the mix (guitar) sounds perfect for what they were going for, sound-wise, with Paradise Lost. Definitely in-your-face and front and center. This just wouldn't have sounded right on an album like V. That one, to me, is my other favorite guitar-tone album. The distortion is strong, but there's good definition there.

Also, his rhythm tone on Divine Wings is really abrasive. But despite that, in a weird way I think it worked well for the heavier songs (like Eyes of Medusa). It just gave them a more sinister feel that was to their advantage!

3. schenkadere

schenkadere Obey my dog!

It's all a matter of taste...again,to me, there's nothing organic about his tone at all...on any releases really. Still dig it much...everything else trumps that detail.

4. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

"The noblest kind of beauty is that which does not transport us suddenly, which does not make stormy and intoxicating impressions (such a kind easily arouses disgust) but that which slowly filters into our minds." - Friedrich Nietzsche

For some quite obvious reasons, V is a real masterpiece. My all-time favorite Metal album.

Cheers

5. schenkadere

schenkadere Obey my dog!

Easily top 5 for me.

6. masqueraded

masqueraded fReaK DrAgON

i like God MJR's solo tone....his tone is awsome in The DWT....V's tone is ryly cool...specially The Communion And The Oracle's tone blows me away:headbang:.....also like Egypt's tone:headbang:

7. Tony C

Tony C New Metal Member

you're almost right, actually it was a Washburn EC-29. 29-fret guitar.
    previous to this he used to play an old Kramer Pacer, white color, maple fingerboard, H/H pickups.