This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Midas M32 as recording console? Please help!

Discussion in 'Backline' started by pikachu69, May 24, 2015.

1. pikachu69

pikachu69 mixomatic 2000

I am currently working on building a studio but I am really stuck on what console/pres etc to run.
    I don't have the budget to think about large format consoles but I do want as many inputs as possible.

For what I can tell the Midas M32 is the cheapest way to get 32 premium pre amps.
    I really need/want at least 24 channels.

I am spending more of my budget getting the rooms right and sacrificing on the gear a little until I can afford to add or upgrade the set up but I want to start it with a bang, if I can.

I really only want the M32 for its pres and convertors as I will have some outboard comps etc but will do most of the mixing etc ITB so I am not worried about the eq or comp sections all that much.

Can anyone offer any thoughts about using this console this way or maybe recommend a way to get a similar amount of quality pres for the same price?

also can anyone tell me if this has insert points or the ability to integrate external pres and/or outboard?
    Cheers,
    Nigel.

2. acappa

acappa Alex Cappa TMF Studios

I would go with allen & heath gsr24m instead

3. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

These look like very cool consoles for a hybrid setup.

The M32 is a slightly upgraded Behringer X32 and meant primarily for live use. I can't comment on how good the pres are or not. I use a variety of consoles live, but preamp quality is rarely something i have time to consider in that area.

4. pikachu69

pikachu69 mixomatic 2000

Could you expand on this? Why?

I have had quite a lot of experience on the gsr24 and while I liked it enough it didn't wow me so I will keep this in mind as another option, thanks.

5. pikachu69

pikachu69 mixomatic 2000

There are quite a few things different about this compared to the x32, the internal software is about the only thing they have in common at all, from what I can see.
    The pre amps in the m32 are the same as the Heritage 3000 series consoles, famed for their sound.
    As a live engineer myself I understand that in that environment pres are the last thing we consider BUT as this is 100% studio use only I do consider this as a serious question to ask.

6. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

Have you considered just getting a dl32?

7. pikachu69

pikachu69 mixomatic 2000

I had not considered this specific one, no but had looked at other options similar to this.
    If I was to go this way (in a recording studio) would gain etc be controlled via software?
    What else would I need?
    Convertors?

8. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I honestly don't know. I'm fairly certain there is software control and it has ADAT and AES outs so you would need an interface with digital ins. I just always question the the rationale of digital consoles in the studio but if the routing and stuff are helpful then the M32 may be a good choice.

9. pikachu69

pikachu69 mixomatic 2000

Yeah I agree that why it is such as struggle to choose.
    The reality is that while I won't use a large amount of the included "digital stuff' with this desk I still couldn't get that many pres, convertors and a control surface for the same money without the stuff I won't use...
    This makes it feel worth while buying it knowing I won't use some of this stuff.

The long term plan would be to replace this console with something else in the next 3 years at which time this can become a live desk, and then it will be useful in the long term.

10. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

I have a pal that uses an X32 as a control surface and interface when recording. Seems to work well for him and I would imagine the M32 would be just as good.