This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER!!!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Metaldrumz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Justin G

Justin G Member

Am I the only one who thinks his statement wasn't classy at all? I get that he's upset and that it's a huge decision, and I'd never dispute Portnoy's role "running" Dream Theater in recent years. But it's not HIS band. He formed it along with four other guys, two of whom are still in the band. Why should he expect those guys to surrender their livelihoods just because he's not into it anymore and would rather play with Avenged Sevenfold? He sounded almost like Timo T. when he quit Stratovarius.

Dream Theater's official statement was WAY classier, and was respectful to Portnoy as well.

That said, it's really hard to imagine DT without him. I didn't love his songwriting in recent years, and flat-out hated his attempts at singing, but he's going to be really hard to replace. I think it could give the band some much needed new perspective though. I feel like the only "outside" influence in their sound came from whatever band Mike was into at the time.

As for Mike's replacement, why not Casey Grillo? He's got some free time now.

2. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Bump to 6 years later....

MIKE PORTNOY TALKS DREAM THEATER - "A LOT OF PEOPLE STILL TALK ABOUT SEEING ME WITH THEM; I DON’T COUNT ON THAT HAPPENING"

"...Marko Syrjala at Metal Rules recently caught up with drum legend Mike Portnoy to discuss his lengthy career and his involvement with Twisted Sister, The Winery Dogs, The Neal Morse Band and Dream Theater. In the excerpt below Portnoy takes on the touchy subject of Dream Theater.

Marko: Have you heard their latest album?

Mike Portnoy: "I won’t talk about, because there is no winning. Any time I say anything about Dream Theater…Honestly, I’d rather not talk about it. Because no matter what I say, it will be twisted and… So I kind of have made myself promise, that I won’t talk about Dream Theater anymore. If you want to ask me about my 25 years in the band, I could talk about that. But talking about them now, it’s a no win situation."

Marko: I totally understand so can you then briefly sum up your 25 years with the Dream Theater?

Mike Portnoy: "Yeah. I’m proud of everything I did for those 25 years. That was my life for a quarter of a century, my half of life-time. Dream Theater was my baby. I formed it from the beginning, out of college and I lived a life-time with them. So I’m proud of every one of those albums and every one of the shows. I left behind a legacy and there is a lot of people that still talk about seeing me with them. I don’t count on that happening, I wouldn’t count on it. I wouldn’t bet money on it. If it happens, then sure I’m up for it. Because I’m a very sentimental person and I still love the guys and I love the fans. But I surely don’t count on it and I don’t plan on it, and I’m happier than ever with everything I’m doing now."

Go to this location for the complete interview...."

3. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Ya know, for someone that's so sick of talking about Dream Theater, he sure likes to talk about Dream Theater. I am a Portnoy fan, but Christ, he's getting to be as bad as DiAnno talking about Maiden...

4. BlindPanzer

BlindPanzer Iced Guardian was taken:)

I think every interviewer asks Portnoy about Dream Theater because they know it will be clicked more if they put that in the title of their article.

Kez likes this.