This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mixing/Mastering From A Laptop with Ipod Headphones (for fun)

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by brianhood, Feb 4, 2016.

1. brianhood

brianhood No Care Ever

Hey guys, I recently went through the hassle of downloading/installing pro tools 10 and all my plugins on my laptop just for a fun portable rig to do bullshit editing work remotely.

I'm currently sitting at a coffee shop (doing said bullshit editing work), and I had a fun thought (probably due to too much caffeine). I want to try mixing/mastering a song using nothing but my laptop and ipod headphones. Completely in the box with amp sims and no outboard gear.

I figured this would be a good place to post my progress as sort of a "just-for-fun" thread. Anyone want to volunteer a song to mix? I have no idea how this will turn out, but just to keep this light-hearted, I'm only going to use my Apple Earpods. If someone wants to donate some Beats by Dre, I'm consider those as well (because that is even more hilarious).

Once I find a good song with quality tracks, I'll mix it and post it on here. I'm curious as to what a "trained" ear can accomplish using this flawed-as-fuck method.

Edit: A better option might be to remix a song I've done in the past from scratch and compare the end results.

#1 brianhood, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Blaine Rohmer likes this.
  2. brianhood

brianhood No Care Ever

Possibly a better option would be to remix a song I've done in the past from scratch and compare the end result.

wilsky757 likes this.
  3. rapucore

rapucore i really hate spiders

Interesting idea. I've wanted to try this myself as well after Graham from RecordingRevolution did something quite similiar.

Very interested in hearing your results if you do this!

4. brianhood

brianhood No Care Ever

Nice! That guy has posted so many YouTube videos that it does not surprise me. Can you link me to it?

5. Lance_pants

Lance_pants New Metal Member

Do Sentinel, Surroundings or Iconoclast Bhoodie!

6. rapucore

rapucore i really hate spiders

I think on this one he talks through the whole process of what he did, including the mixing.

7. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Yes Graham mixed a song completely at a starbuck's coffe with that setup as well. I don't like his demagogic style but he has a few good points.
    That said, the iphone earphones are actually not that bad (i'm talking the current generation, the previous ones were horrible). I mean they don't isolate you from the ambient noise, but when there is silence, i can actually enjoy using them when I'm on the go for a short time.