This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

modern albums that aren't compressed/limited to death??

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by colonel kurtz, Apr 26, 2008.

1. JBroll

JBroll I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!

I do too... but the fucking drums?

Seriously, how do you tell your drummer "You know, I think this song is great... but what it REALLY needs is a cheesy drum machine!" in a session? If someone did that to me, I'd take over his girlfriend's mind and have her turn him down and say "Nothing personal, but this Japanese midget is giving me the best sex I've had in years, so..."

Jeff

2. PhilR

PhilR Studio Scapegoat

Anyone have a comparison of the UK vs USA version of Machine Heads "The Blackening"? I've heard the Euro release was very restrained in it's mastering on Robb Flynns request. But the US version was brickwalled to shit.

3. Zuranthus

Zuranthus Member

discrepancies could be due to the fact that there are different encoders used with their own compression algorithms

4. PhilR

PhilR Studio Scapegoat

Lossy compression systems don't cause transient clipping in the same fashion as bus limiters.

I don't see how it's relevant anyway. Anyone with half a brain cell would be comparing CD rips.

5. Suicide_As_Alibi

I got the American version of a mate of mine before I bought the UK version. I can't comment much on the volume (the US version was a ripped CD), but the American version clips in quite a few places and the UK one doesn't at all that I've noticed.

Can't think of any modern albums off hand, but it know Red Hot Chili Peppers' 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' is maddeningly quiet.

At the other end of the spectrum, NumberOneSon (little known UK band) had an album called 'Lessons' that's sounds way louder than anything else I own, but it's still pretty dynamic for it.

Steve

6. smy1

smy1 Member

The German version of "The Blackening" is clipping A LOT!

7. Sinister Mephisto

It's true, that CD is very quite. I like it how it is though. I was putting together a comparison of Rick Rubins productions for a class and I had this song next to Toxcicity by SOAD, what a volume difference! :lol:

8. KeithTidd

KeithTidd Robot Penis.

exactly. If it sounds good to you, who cares how loud it looks. Some of my favorite albums are rediculously loud; take Dimmu's PEM.