This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Most Underrated Metal Guitarists?

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by JoshDRAH, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

I totally agree.

The funny thing is as a big fanboy i watched an interview of Hobbs/Marchais recently, and they were providing tips for guitar players, including the "try to relax" thing, which i had never really bought and considered seriously so far.
    They said something along the lines of "you can't play that kind of music during an entire set if you play with too much strain", which i gave a second thought afterwards.

Now in the past weeks i've been trying to relax while playing and i start to feel that playing too strained was the main problem in my playing, causing me a lot of pain, and a lot of rigidity, preventing me from playing difficult riffs but also stuff that requires more feeling such as doing vibrato on chords.

I remember Sparky Voyles telling me the same advice about relaxing while playing those crazy Dying Fetus riffs, and also Erik Rutan mentioning he had some severe hand/wrist injury a couple of years ago due to playing too strained.

Now i can totally realize how relaxing (well... to a certain extent :) ) can help for playing extreme music (guitar especially i mean).

Before i was like "i play really strained and pick really hard, this is the only way i can play that kind of agressive intense music", and i'm glad i changed my mindset a bit since then.

So thanks Suffocation ! Now i know how you can get away with playing those sick fast technical riffs for an 1h30 long set !

(sorry for the rant :) )

Back to the topic, the Suffocation guitarists (past and present) are insane in terms of playing, both for riffs and leads.

2. guitarguru777

guitarguru777 Member

+1

Having played with Terrence in Suffocation (before they were signed people so relax ..lol) I can testify that he is one hell of a guitar player. All around really nice guy too!

3. guitarguru777

guitarguru777 Member

Hes a petrucci clone, nothing original about him.

4. ratsapprentice

ratsapprentice God can gtfo

Lars Johansson

that solo is incredible

Oh yeah and Andreas Kisser, that dude had just as much influence on the early Sepultura sound as anyone else did.
    Seriously talented player.

#204 ratsapprentice, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. lordcthulhu

lordcthulhu You Are Bewitched!

Huge +1 to Lars Johansson, the solos on Nightfall (especially) are among my favourites. And let's not forget those EPIC doom riffs, remember the guys from Nile pinched the Well of Souls riff for Unas The Slayer Of The Gods!

H.P. Lovecraft likes this.
  6. SickBoy

SickBoy Croatian Panzer division

+1
    As is this solo:

Again +1 :)

#206 SickBoy, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  7. ErenOzturk

ErenOzturk New Metal Member

James Murphy ? i still can't believe how underrated he is !

james6.jpg

H.P. Lovecraft likes this.
  8. H.P. Lovecraft

H.P. Lovecraft Active Member

Tommy T. Baron, Jeffrey "Mantas" Dunn, Dallas Toler-Wade, Karl Sanders, Andy LaRocque, Mick Mars, Eddie Ojeda, Jay Jay French, Ace Shimizu, Chris Holmes, Jake E. Lee, Dave Linsk, Bobby Gustafson, Ross "The Boss" Friedman, Eric Cutler, Danny Coralles, James Murphy, Hideaki Nakama, Trevor Peres, Bruce Franklin, Rick Wartell, Lars Johansson, Scott "Wino" Weinrich, Dave Chandler, Mats Björkman, Joey Tafolla, Akira Takasaki, Hiroya Fukuda, Hide, Pata, etc.