This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Music Visualisation that I gone and done for uni

Discussion in 'Bar' started by Morgan C, May 6, 2012.

1. Morgan C

Morgan C MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯

Still a work-in-progress, so criticisms are welcome. Click the screen to move around the song. Click the words up the top to mute various sections.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Melo...etallica/Melody Chord Rhythm - Metallica.html

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/MelodyChord&Rhythm/Sketch/Oasis/Melody Chord Rhythm - Oasis.html

Initially this was just the visualisation and moving around the song, but my tutor suggested being able to listen to the individual sections. Thank god for rock band multitracks.

I can't guarantee this will work on all browsers. It initially only worked on Firefox, but it seems to work on Chrome now too. Last time I tried it didn't work AT ALL on Safari, and partially worked on Mac Firefox - so if you're on Mac I'd suggest that.

If it skips, or the sections get out of time with each other (forcing 3 mp3's to play perfectly in time thru HTML is not easy), try waiting for the mp3's to load a bit more, then try again.

2. amarshism

amarshism Member

i just managed to put everything out of time with eachother

3. Morgan C

Yeah, I'm still coming up with a way to avoid this. Short of making new mp3's for every combination (melody+rhythm.mp3, melody+chord.mp3, melody.mp3), I can't figure out how. On all the computers I've tried it on (even on a tiny netbook), it's been fine once the mp3's have fully buffered. Give it a couple minutes, if it still doesn't work let me know because then I really have to fix it.

What are you using?

4. amarshism

amarshism Member

im using safari on a macpro

5. Morgan C

Ah ok, last time I tried it on Safari it didn't even show up. I don't have a Mac so I'll have to test it out on one at Uni tomorrow.

6. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

on mac/chrome combo, the metallica one works perfectly, the oasis one works ok but bit out of sync when I skipped further in the song, I can hear the drums eventhough it's just by a few ms.

Other thing, for me, the vertical bar is a bit late compared to the sound, by something like 5 pixels

It's cool anyway !

7. Morgan C

Great thanks. They're the exact same code, so it may just be that you were still buffering for the Oasis one.

I'll have another look at the bar thing, I struggled with getting it right. The code doesn't produce a pixel perfect visualisation in the first place, it's more of an estimate, but for most purposes I don't think it'll be a HUGE issue.