This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NAD! Jet City JCA50!

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Trevoire520, Jun 7, 2012.

1. wutzington

wutzington massive member

Still waiting for the package, should be here by next week. I'll see if I can get some clips then.
    The last time I had JJs (ECC83S) they were a bit too flubby sounding for my taste, but since the amp seems to be more on the bright/tight side it could suit it well.
    The power tubes haven't been swapped by the previous owner but I'm looking for a pair of EL-84s atm. I wonder if I could get some more lowend out of the amp with different power tubes or if i should just go and get the depth mod done. I'll probably get some NOS ones from Tube-Town.

2. stilllifer

stilllifer Member

That's cool. The JJ's are pretty good - quite gainy actually bujt in a good way. However, they are a little loose sounding as well. I put the Mullard EL-84's in but haven't given them a really good go yet - will report back on that.
    I would get the depth mod done if I were you - swapping power tubes will not give you the same effect as the depth mod.

3. nialldoran

nialldoran Member

seriously considering one of these too now,:lol: there is a local 20w being sold with dan gower mods, and im tempted between that and the 100w on thomann, wouldve went a 50w but they are all second hand in the uk and more expensive than the 100w discisions

4. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Personally I'd go for the 100w so you've got enough power for gigging and the clean channel, plus I feel it's better geared towards the heavy stuff than the smaller head (which needs the gain up max and a tubescreamer with the level cranked for the clips I've done here)

5. nialldoran

nialldoran Member

yeah the 100w definatly has advantages, the only thing that was really stopping me is that i wouldve had to have bought an attenuator or load box for home, but i bought pod farm today for writing and recording at home (made the move to protools and missed lecto and other awesome amp sims so much), so i suppose i could just buy the JCA 100 and keep it at the studio,

6. wutzington

So my JC2112rc arrived today.
    First impression: dissapointed.
    Sounded very flubby - big loose low end.
    Muddy distortion.
    Turns into fuzzy distortion when you add a tubescreamer in front.
    The stock eminence speaker is crap too.

What most of you people hear in these clips are actually the speaker cabs.
    As soon as I hooked the amp up to my 2x12 with 75Ts in it sounded just like my old solid state. Just worse. Less tight, flubbier, muddier.
    I don't find the amp very inspiring. The cleans are mediocre (and are only available from 0.5-1 on the preamp gain). The transition from clean to distortion happens from 1 until about 5, after that it just gets muddier.
    Maybe I'll get used to it. Expected a bit more tightness from listening to the clips so far.

7. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Admittedly the 20w heads are a bit harder to get sounding tight compared to the big ones, but I still think you should be able to get something that sounds alright, playing my 20w through a Marshall 2x12 (T75 & V30) I certainly wouldn't say it's like a solid state amp at all. I found pulling the mids back a bit and adding a touch more presence/treble helped alot. Also raising the tone on the tubescreamer can help things sound brighter/tighter. Also what pickups are you using?

I've not used any of the jet city cabs/combo's so I can't comment on the stock speaker, maybe they're causing your trouble? Chain only as strong as it's weakest link and all that.

I don't honestly know what you were expecting for cleans? It is an amp with just a single crunch/od channel after all. It's like complaining that a JCM800 has shit cleans, it wasn't designed for clean sounds in the first place!

8. wutzington

I'm not saying it sounds like a solid state amp. I honestly think it sounds worse. Fired it up again today and on max gain it sounds like someone just turned on a Fuzz Face. Eq-wise it's fine. It's the consistency of the Distortion that bugs me. Pickup wise I use a poplar Strat with an Airzone, an alder Washburn Falcon with stock PAFs, a mahogany Cort with Evos and a basswood Ibanez baritone with the stock V8/V7. Oddly enough the Strat is tightest, even though it has the bassiest Pickups by far.
    Well about my expectations for cleans: I assumed you'd at least be able to use Pedals if you wanted, but there is no proper breakup crunch to be had, so you either have weak distortion or weak cleans. Rolling back the volume didn't really help either. Wall of fuzz, sounds like my Tubeking pedal.

edit:
    I'll try some different preamp tubes soon. I already hated those JJs in the slo pre. And also will try and get the internal speaker swapped for a V30.

9. tomhoward22

tomhoward22 New Metal Member

I'm thinking of getting a JCA100H, I like what I've heard of it, and I like the current Thomann price! Is the clean channel any good on this amp? I'm really in to post-rock aswell as the heavy stuff, so I want an amp that can do both, but I guess the distorted tone is more important as I use lots of effects with the clean.

I've been looking at Bugeras too, namely the 6262 or 6260 infinium models as I love the 5150 tone, but are the cleans on this amp usable? Not bothered about the whole reliability thing for now, mainly a bedroom guitarist and play a few shows so I think I'll be ok.

Anybody offer me some guidance, maybe some other amp suggestions that wont break the bank. It can be smaller than these as it's mainly going to be a bedroom amp, but needs to be loud enough to be gigged without a PA in small to medium venues, I guess 30 watt minimum

inb4 buy a fire extinguisher along with the bugera, your band must suck to be playing a venue without a PA etc etc. Also, first post, hey guyz

10. wutzington

Update: Put 2 Sovtek/EHX 12ax7s into the v1/v2 position and nearly pissed myself with joy as soon as I turned the amp on again. Sounds fucking awesome now. Nice and tight. Not 5150 tight. Very unique. Without a screamer and the stock speaker I can get tones ranging from Kvelertak/Mastodon (the stock speaker has a fat and non-fizzy midrange tone perfect for those rumbly, grindy Kurt Ballou tones) to Porcupine Tree-style crunchy cleans. With the Tubescreamer in front it definately covers a lot of metal. It reminds me a bit of that Engl Darkane used on their newer albums (Savage?). Very charcteristic high mid range when you crank the treble with the stock speaker. With celestions it really can do a lot of modern tones. Not compressed enough for those chugga chugga squeal squeal deathcore tones, but perfect for more classic marshall-ish highgains. I ALMOST got a Djent tone out of it by turning the tone up the screamer and cranking the treble while keeping the presence low - wasn't really saturating enough though. It's difficult to get nice sounding pinch harmonics out of this amp.
    I'm so glad I made this tube change. The thing sounds like a different amp now.

So, anybody wanna buy 6 JJ ECC83S for 60 euros? :D

I dont think you need 100 watts for anything except for tearing down houses. The 6202 Bugera didn't sound as good as the 5150 when I tried it in the store. The clean channel on the 5150 isnt exactly impressive to begin with and the Bugera doesnt sound better in that area. The 333 (TripleX clone) sounds really nice though, both clean and distorted. And its tight enough to be used without a ts.
    About the Jet City: Apparently there are some problems with the distortion channel bleeding into the clean channel when you use it as a classic "heavy/hificlean" 2-channel head. But if you use a fendery, slightly crunchy clean tone you should be fine.

11. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

I've not messed with the clean channel too much but I'll give it a proper go sometime in the week and post a clip for you man!

Really got me interested in trying some new preamp tubes now. Though I obviously love the sound I'm getting with whatever tubes are in at the moment (not sure if they're stock or the previous owner changed them) it's always nice to mess with stuff!

12. tomhoward22

Cheers mate, appreciate it!

13. stilllifer

stilllifer Member

Glad to hear you are feeling the Jet City love... :)
    Like I said before, the tubes in the stock amp need to be swapped out immediately - they are horrible. I have a hi-gain JJ in V1, a GT 12AT7 in V2 and an EH in PI and they are great. But..... the biggest change was the update to Mullard EL-84's. Holy fuck are they really amazing and have tightened my JCA20H so much. It's unreal and the amp feels like an old vintagey Marshall now.
    In my 2x12, I swap between my Greenback, V30 and WGS Reaper drivers. I think I like the Greenback and V30 the best. With a few tweaks, the Jet City amps sound great and you can really get some of those classic Marshally tones out of them. Watch that presence knob though - too much can get you into ice-pick territory quickly.

14. DeclanWhite

DeclanWhite Senior Member

oh jet city not sold on thomann anymore :/

apparently the distributor was selling them on ebay for too cheap or something?

15. Forceps

Forceps John - Spiralcove

Hmm, that sucks if you wanted to buy one!
    I'm glad I snagged a JCA100hdm, really love that top. Put in other tubes last night in the V1 and V2 spot to get the amp a bit tighter, and I'm glad that worked out good (still have to use a boost for the ultra tight stuff, but I can switch boost and channel with one foot when I put the boost just above the channel switch). Only thing that worried me was that one of the preamp tubes had really bent pins at the bottom, while I took them out very carefully... gonna check the other tubes tomorrow.

Btw: does anyone know what the function of the preamp tubes is? There are 2 with a cover, I believe these are for the gain stages, but what's the function of the other three? I guess one is for the FX loop and one is for phase invertor, but that leaves one more tube and in what order are their functions?

16. Pot

Pot Member

if i had to guess i´d say it´s a similar layout as a 5150 but the fx loop im no t so sure

17. tomhoward22

I got the last JCA100H Thomann had in stock, excited to have a play with it. No more pod farm for me :kickass:

18. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Super quick and sloppy (old strings, didn't even tune the guitar!) but here's a clean clip!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949675/Jet City Clean.wav

Apologies for the fret buzz, only just got this guitar the other week and not had chance to set it up yet.

19. Revson

Revson Member

You know if you used Top Hat amps the old strings wouldn't have mattered and the guitar wouldn't have buzzed. Those amps are just that good. :D

20. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Hahahaha! Yeah that guys funny isn't he?

TOP HAT IS AMAZING! ALL OTHER AMPS ARE TOTAL SHIT!
    :lol: