This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by RICJAMES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Me, 15 years ago after 5 beer.

2. tragician

tragician Hermotriekaleina22/7

I think Children Of Bodom is a really good name if you think about it. Bodomin Lapset would work more as a book name than a band name it doesn't sound that much like a metal band. But I guess it kinda reminds me of a band called Lasten Hautausmaa (Childrens Graveyard) and it's not a metal band but there's some really cool songs.

I got high last night and was listening to Something Wild and remembered this thread and I have some thoughts... Now I don't think the band really put that much thought into the name as we know the name change story. But in the biography Alexi said that the word Children may have come as some sort of a subconscious Children Of the Corn reference. And well the Children Of Bodom single cover art does resemble the movie's cover art. At least I have a DVD that has a hand holding up an axe against a red background.
    And the victims in the Bodom murders were teens. Basically just kids they were so young. That is a cool contrast there's innocent kids that meet an unexpected horrible end. It's kinda like Marilyn Manson you put together something good and evil and it sounds cool. Then there's the whole story about Alexi's past where he almost got killed in Espoo when he was just a kid and then he makes songs about those feelings. (Another detail in the biography was that he actually almost drowned as a kid but it wasn't lake bodom where it happened)
    And sort of the band's aesthetic is that "you have to keep your inner teenager alive" but then again they had to grow up really fast because world is a shitty place sometimes.

And well Bodom by itself it isn't a finnish word really so associated with a murder mystery it pretty much is just if you said Doom or something. Idk for someone who lives near it it's probably just a beach but I live 300km away and all I can think is murder. But I visited it and it's nice. Same kinda name wouldn't work with other murder mysteries though :D Children of Tulilahti or Ulvila. (Midnight Auer :----DDDD) Nah. But Bodom sounds like some mysterious being or something.

Most people didn't know what Bodom is when the band started touring and it gave them attention too bc it sounds mysterious and then you think about names like Sodom or Burzum. Overall a lot of bands at the time had some B starting name and it does remind me of Dimmu Borgir too.

I think it's a pretty cool name but if you see it for the first time you may think Why is there the word Children in a metal band's name that's lame :D
    That was deep I sure wonder why my friends tell me "enough of the autism" when I talk about COB :D
    TL;DR if you think deeply about it COB as a name can symbolize being traumatized as a kid :D

#1802 tragician, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    rj rl likes this.
  3. Inceptionist

Inceptionist It's Not My Funeral

Compare this with the Waltari jams

#1803 Inceptionist, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Interesting stuff. Haven't read the book so a fair portion of this is new to me.

As for Bodom being just a beach for someone who lives near it, yes, that's completely true :D It had been "just a beach" for me for years by the time I first heard of the murders, not to speak of starting to listen to COB.

5. tragician

Well it really isn't a scary place, went for a swim there last weekend :D Gotta be a lame experience to a foreign fan to take a trip to THE MURDER LAKE and just find some finnish normies blasting despacito :D (happened)

Fuck yeah turns out next friday is free bc midsummer so I'll be seeing COF and Hypocrisy and also COB on saturday!

#1805 tragician, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    ESA1996 likes this.
  6. COB-666

COB-666 Member

7. akamouzis

akamouzis Member

FINALLY! he comes clean about his sloppy playing. most of us already assumed it had something to do with his past injuries. its nice of him to finally admit it.

8. fanfzero

fanfzero New Metal Member

Wasn't this originally schedulled for metal hammer?

9. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

WTF?! It can't be true... It's looks likesome gave a guitar to a 80 year-old grandpa, who played the guitar when he was young. I'm glad that he has realised or just healed from whatever he got.

10. mrs.bodOm

mrs.bodOm ~Kissing The Shadows~

Hey forumites!
    I saw the guys in Bulgaria last night. I must admit they are in great shape overall. Alexi looks healthier and I was happy to see him head banging and moving around on stage again :) I don’t take as many pics or videos during shows, but I have maybe a couple pics and small parts of the new tracks I’ll try and post on the other thread later. :)
    they all had great energy, it was a great show!:headbang:

tragician, COB-666 and rj rl like this.
  11. tragician

Saw them in Nummirock a couple weeks back. Was a good and energetic show and Alexi indeed was looking healthier. A friend of mine who'd never seen them before was like "DUDE WHEN IS THE NEXT SHOW THAT WAS FUCKIN AWESOME" One shitty thing that wasn't the band's fault was that the stage had this long catwalk thing and if you went to the middle front row you couldn't see shit :D Could be also that I'm really really short but well I found a good spot where I could see the whole band.

And the talk about COF... Well meh Idk if I'd go again. Good playing and a pretty good show but I just got bored tbh :D I went to the 3rd row and people didn't seem very into it. Hypocrisy was fuckin great though 5/5 would go again anytime.

mrs.bodOm likes this.
  12. CharIie

CharIie Formerly known as Joker and IDontKnowWhatToWrite

I took a small break from listening to the new album (didn't listen to it in about two month) and I just went through it all again. Man, I have to admit this really is one of there most solid album. Everything is perfect on it. Still completely blown away by Say Never Look Back. Will definitely work on a cover as soon as I get my string gauge changed from 9-42 to 12-56

P4T0U, tragician and COB-666 like this.
  13. COB-666

COB-666 Member

New stories:

14. COB-666

COB-666 Member

15. Andry_Wildchild

Same here man , really pleased with this album.
    Try playing Hecate's Nightmare at 1.25x or 1.5x speed , it sounds so much more like Follow the reaper

16. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

^Haven’t tried that, but could it be the elevated pitch (in increasing speed) that makes you feel that way, if you’re talking about playing it faster in an audio program? Given FTR happens to be their most high pitch and treble album (maybe I’m mistaken and it’s actually thinness or intentionally/confidently playing "heavy stuff" in chipmunk pitch). Or you mean the increased energy in upping the pace / playing it faster on guitar? Would slowing down or lowering the pitch of FTR make that album sound like Hexed to you?

#1816 (__Joonas__), Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  17. CharIie

CharIie Formerly known as Joker and IDontKnowWhatToWrite

You have the option on Youtube to speed up or slow down the videos without altering the pitch.

I just tried Hecate's Nightmare at 1.25 but it simply doesn't do it for me. I enjoy the slow pace of that song.

18. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

When a song is done with certain tempo in mind, I find even just 2 bpm change can disturb the intended vibe too much. (Depends on the music obviously). Pitch is another thing, not a game changer for many ideas, but some ideas really are intended for a certain pitch, where just one semi-tone shift can snuff out the soul of the idea (forcing you to make a key change while writing a song.)

#1818 (__Joonas__), Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  19. Norbix

Norbix Member

I was bored in the car so I decided to go through Hexed again. For me, the album didn't age well. It's super solid but it just doesn't have COB magic. Maybe I'm just older, though. Who knows how this album would have been received if released right after FTR?

The only song I can listen through start to finish is Kick in the Spleen, and I gotta say I still think it's good enough to belong on HCDR. Other than that, the song Hexed could have been great if they had replaced the second verse/chorus with some kind of pre-solo section.

20. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

I deleted the thing from my mp3 player : - ) I listen to old albums for CoB, other bands for newer stuff.