This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Asterix movie - The vikings.

Discussion in 'Amon Amarth' started by Belgar, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Belgar

Belgar The Wallonian Redneck.

Jupiter2 this is Alpha control do you copy?
    I know most of us who grew up in Europe loved all the comics based on Asterix, have any of you seen the latest animation Asterix and the Vikings that came out in April-June 2006?

I just applaud Europe for making it the biggest European animation movie ever with animation studios from all over Europe that worked on the movie itself.

The trailer (in french) can be seen on http://www.asterix.com/ and I know most countries are getting their own translated versions with always the same funny names, jokes,...

Probably won't be showing here in the US since people don't have humor for anything but shit that hollywood produces.

2. $HaMbLeZz

$HaMbLeZz His Dudeness

I loved Asterix when I was a kid but i haven't heard of a new movie. Hm, got to search my old Asterix comics :D

3. Knarfi

Knarfi Yaba-daba-doo!

Yeah its out in Holland to. Well the dutch people will find it disapoiting that "Jim" (dont ask) is singing in it. I havent seen it yet, but im going to see it withing this week if possible! :D

4. Celtik Militia

Celtik Militia Dumb French Bastard

yeah i wanted to see it with some palls, but i didn't find the time unfortunately :(
    oh well, i'll wait till it comes out on DVD :kickass:
    i used to be a great fan of Asterix and all the Wallon comics (like Tintin as well). and if any of you come to paris region, go to Parc Asterix, its so much better (and more pagan \m/) then disneyland. :D

5. genaatloos

genaatloos I empty my nose on you..!

yeah, i always liked the asterix albums.. there is such a great humor in it! i read the album 'asterix and the vikings' but that was a long time ago.. the movie doesnt come to my town, probably i will see the dvd

6. Celtik Militia

i've often wondered.. are the jokes in the people's names well translated? i never read a translated version of asterix so i always figured it must be not as cool in another language because of all these play on words which can't be done (just like how an anglophone comical movie is never as good when dubbed).

7. genaatloos

genaatloos I empty my nose on you..!

yeah, the names and stuff are still great. But my french isnt that good that i can read the original version. (didnt speak, write or read french for 2 years know.. dont understand a fuck of it). So i dont know if the humor is still on the same niveau as the original albums..

hmm, belgar! did you read the albums in both languages? then you can answer the question..

8. Belgar

Belgar The Wallonian Redneck.

Jupiter2 this is Alpha control do you copy?
    Only read them in french and the whole fun of it (like the 2 movies) are in the names. Some of the names if translated from french to dutch or english would make no sense or not be funny to a non-native french speaker.
    As far as I can remember, Asterix and Obelix are the only characters in the comic books that have no meaning in french, all other characters have some humorous type of meaning. I would assume the same for other languages.

9. Celtik Militia

well asterix and obelix do come from the words "asterisque" and "obelisque" (shit is that the right spelling?) but its true their names arent sentences like idéfix or jolitorax. :p

10. cadavria

cadavria Member

Actually I havn't to wait till it comes out on DVD to see it cos I've some friends (web pirates) who'r working to bring it to me.
    By the way u won't find a single original CD in Tunisia cos every one is using his own ways to get whatever he wants (music, movies ,....)
    We'r the Pirate nation.:oops:

11. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy Friend Of The Suncross

not really a source of pride, but whatever

12. darcy

darcy Member

the anglo names are usually similar jokes, rather than direct translations... not sure about other languages though