This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Journey album Revelation

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by VenomGA, Jun 2, 2008.

1. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

is being released supposedly tomorrow June 3rd to little to zero fan fair. Can't say I have ever seen so little talk for a Journey release ever before. What do you contribute this too? New Singer? What? I have been a HUGE fan of this band and did not even know that had a new album coming out until I saw a commercial for the Ellen Degenerate:puke: show last week.:lol:

2. DemonOfTheWoods

DemonOfTheWoods Your option out of here

not to mention its a WalMart exclusive CD

3. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

:loco:It is???

4. PurpleCrayonWriter

PurpleCrayonWriter Just a Kid at Heart

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I think the Eagles struck a deal with Wal-Mart and/or Sam's Club for exclusive sales rights to their latest album. It made them a fortune. In fact, they were just written up in a recent issue of Advertising Age as an example of where the music industry is heading in terms of marketing.

So I wouldn't let the Wal-Mart exclusive scare anyone away.

That said, I'm not sure anything short of Steve Perry rejoining the band would get me interested in them again.

Bill

5. DemonOfTheWoods

Yep. I just found this out. I work in a music store and I've had a bunch of questions about it and couldn't find any info. Our buyers just informed me that it is a Wal-Mart only exclusive.:mad:

6. DemonOfTheWoods

the only thing about that is I had (and still have) many copies of the Eagles CD in my store (and I'm not in a Wal Mart:heh:). somehow their new album got distributed to Indie stores also, not just Wal Marts.

If only the same could happen with Journey!

7. DADRocks

DADRocks Member

I've heard 3 tracks and wasn't planning on buying it until after I heard the new songs. I gotta say, I was impressed. For $11.88, you get the new cd, a cd of classic Journey songs remade with the new singer and a dvd. Not bad at all. Also, Melodicrock.com just gave it a 97/100. They are also saying the Frontier's version will have a bonus track. Walmart link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9864208

8. DemonOfTheWoods

wow, I didn't realize it had all that with it! Not a bad deal at all!

9. fatesmiles

fatesmiles Member

I had doubts as well but followed the lind from DAD and it is much better than I thought. A virtual sound-alike to Steve but cannot quite hit the higher notes. None-the-less very good and I will purchase, hopefully not from Walmart.

10. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Although it has been discussed to death, just not too recently, I still maintain that Journey screwed up big time, going after a soundalike when they had Jeff Scott Soto at the helm. Could have given Journey some new life, IMO. Now, I could care less about them. Hopefully this will give cause to create another Talisman cd somewhere down the line. :)

11. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER Halcyon Way Sufferer

Melodicrock.com has a decent review up!

12. DADRocks

DADRocks Member

I'm actually glad they parted ways as I much more prefer Jeff Scott Soto solo stuff more than Journey stuff. Maybe he and Shon could do another Soul Sirkus. BTY, "7" is an awesome Talisman cd. Would of loved to see them live.

13. Met-Al

Met-Al Member

I'm actually looking forward to this album. If those sound clips are any indication, Journey has not lost their knack for writing catchy, melodic rock. I'm one of the few people out there who thought that "Arrival" was better than "Raised On Radio" and "Trial By Fire." I also thought that "Generations" was a good album, though they could have trimmed off a few tunes. I think most folks need to give up any hopes of Steve Perry ever re-joining this band. He doesn't want to do it anymore, and even if he did, his voice isn't what it used to be. Yes, the new singer sounds similar to him. When you have a band as well-established as Journey and said band had one of the most respected vocalists of the past 35 years, you'd bet your ass that you're going to want to replace him with someone who can pull off his material like he can. That's my two cents, anyway.

Stay metal. Never rust.
    Met-Al

14. Primal

Primal Motley

Screw Journey!! BIGGEST mistake they made was letting Jeff Scott Soto go and not just letting him go but how they went about doing it - what a bunch of COWARDS!! Those that go see Journey live will get to hear a Steve Perry copycat with a foreign accent that you can't understand half the time!!!

15. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

The other half of me agrees with you 100%! :)
    Should we swerve this thread into a Talisman reunion for PP X? :heh:

16. RiffDaemon

RiffDaemon Member

Seriously? This forum doesn't need that, especially considering that most of the bands mentioned on this board - as well as many of the forum members! - are foreign to the U.S. Leave the attitude at the login screen..

Back on topic.... I guess I'll be raiding Wal-Mart tonight :) I don't care who is singing (though Arnel is awesome....), as I'm a bit of a Neal Schon fanboy. Love his work.

17. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

I ordered that and new Disturbed from Amazon...Waiting!!!

Bear

18. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

There is such a thing as couth...You do not have it however. Opinion is one thing. I would like to know if you care to share with us your wonderful sense of insight about what you exactly know about Jeff Scott Soto's departure from Journey?

I get to work with him in a few weeks, I will definitely find out what he feels but until then maybe you can let us all know what we are missing. Thanks!!!

I think the new guy for Journey is pretty great and he speaks English pretty damn good, check the lve videos on you tube.

Bear

19. adaher

adaher Member

First, I think that Arnel Pineda just doesn't do the classic songs justice live. But the new album did get good reviews on melodicrock.com, so I'll give it a shot. According to Andrew McNeice's review. Pineda only sounds like Perry on the ballads. On the rock tunes, he's his own man. But then he has to sing Journey classics live and that just doesn't work. But then again, Soto didn't do as well as he could have on the classics either. Which just goes to show how awesome Perry was. Heck, I saw Steve Perry in 1994 and even HE couldn't do those songs justice anymore.

20. rushzil2112

rushzil2112 Member

From first listen, I like it, and Arnel sounds awesome. My mother-in-law thought it was Perry at first, and she is a huge Perry fan, but when it hit one part she knew it wasn't, but he is damned close. I like the fact it is re-recorded, so it gives some of the songs a little bit of an update. I will definately be giveing this cd quite a few spins to see how it sticks.