This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Rings of Saturn

Discussion in 'Bar' started by indecizo, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

2. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

I was reading the comments and still don't know if this is midi or not. It sounds like midi, so either way it comes off like a computer played it. Not that I have a problem with computer music, in fact I love computer music. Not sure if anyone could play that mechanical or not.

3. Nuno Filipe

Nuno Filipe You talkin' to me?

ahahah sounds like warm up exercises because musically speaking, my washing machine still has more groove.

4. nezvers

nezvers Beast

Than this is probably your washing machine?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXa3wTZjes

5. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

6. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Part of this is recorded (when I say parts, I mean bits of 3 or 4 notes max) the rest is I think his own guitar sampled, applied to midi. It's obvious when some notes repeat machine-gun like.

7. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

This one is legit. He's good at shredding, this sounds realistic. The rest does not.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ayeMBZWXs&index=6[/ame]

8. FrankTheSmith

FrankTheSmith Member

I'm pretty sure it's not midi. From what I've heard from many people is it's slowed down 50%, then sped up and heavily quantized/copy paste.
    Why spend the whole recording budget trying to get solid takes when you can play half speed and nail the parts and pocket the rest of the budget?
    And that video of the 300bpm shredding is 225 bpm. 8th note triplets at 150bpm is 225bpm.

9. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

IME it's generally far faster to record takes myself than let a guitarist record at half time and chop shit together. You spend a lot of time trying to make it sound real when someone good could just play it to begin with. I've only ever done this to appease egos.

They never bothered to make it sound realistic, though. Compare this to Veil of Maya, Necrophagist, or even The HAARP Machine - same technique across the board.

10. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I can't speak to anything else but that "clean guitar" video sounds identical to stuff I programmed 15 years ago. I guess it's possible he dialed in a tone that sounded just like midi and managed to play with no variation in volume or pick attack but it seems incredibly unlikely. Not even the best guys manage to get the same tone picking as tapping but this magically does. I've little doubt he's a good player but that one doesn't pass the sound test for me.

11. indecizo

indecizo Member

I've recorded guitar solos at real slow speed and then speed them up in fl studio with the sampler tools and it sounds exactly like a midi.

12. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

Perhaps that's it. I always just play or fail so I don't have a point of reference for the sound of that technique.

13. rapucore

rapucore i really hate spiders

There are ways to make half-speed recordings sound like it was actually played as fast as the final tempo.
    There are quite a few tricks for it, but I have little respect for persons using it as a tool when they can't play their own shit. :erk::puke:

If someone can't play his/her own stuff, either rewrite or practice your asscheeks off. :lol:

14. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

I've been Messing around for fun with recording at lower speeds to then speed things up. Works great and can sound 100% real but you need to adapt your playing style.

About this thread im just getting old or what? Music sucked and yeah its all fake but let the kids have it if they like it. I kinda enjoyed the guitarsist solo song but that also sounded like midi at some parts but cool writing.

15. Skadsson

Skadsson just a nickname

So... this is actually a song? Who cares about the shredding and half-time recording if you can't write something remotely memorable. That's all that counts.

16. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

I'm not sure if I could care any less about this tbh when his recording sound like shit. :lol:

17. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

It's pretty much the direct result of recording notes one-by-one (often at 1/2 or 1/4 speed because then you just play to a slower tempo, snap mouse to grid and chop/quant/chop/quant etc...) and then arranging them into the proper speed after the fact. Instead of getting the variations in pick attack you'd get from alternate picking quickly, you get the more steady pick attack from picking slowly (and a lot of guys don't realize you still need to alternate pick even though you're going slower, so the entire solo could be constructed of downpicked notes). From there you can roll each region back a bit and cut off the transient, which lessens the attack and gives you that tapping effect.

18. HOFX

HOFX Member

Awesome! I'm going to try this on my new record!

Do you have any PodFarm presets I could use?

I'm going to make the kick punchy.

19. Machinated

Machinated Member

mental how they've disguised the completely terrible and pointless music by making it sound like MIDI.

20. He's Dead, Jim

I caved and listened to Lugal Ki En at work today. It's just a bunch of buttmunchers playing around with chromatic and diminished scales. When they try to actually sound proggy it's hysterical because they have no idea what the fuck they're doing.