This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

News about the CD

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Neva Kee, Feb 28, 2010.

1. proulxski

proulxski Welcome To Kanata Eh!

You are correct Detective. They make there money doing shows, not selling albums! Even more so, I believe when you buy albums/merch from them directly. I believe they get a bigger cut. But if this is true...I am not certain!

2. SymphonyXV

SymphonyXV Member

Meh, I've read a few books about the industry but I'm not gonna say I'm a wizard. It really doesn't matter how many copies a band sells. The label usually pays the band up front just for making the album. Then for ever CD sold, the band gets like 10 cents or something like that. But a band these days makes a majority of money through touring which sounds like fun to me. 99 percent of the day is waiting in lines, but playing the show would be so worth it, especially if the audience sings along and everything.

I find myself humming the Witching Hour sometimes. Pharaoh isn't horrible, but it's nothing too special. I love Out of the Ashes. I don't complain too much about filler. The Odyssey in my opinion had the worst filler, because I could hardly even make out a melody half of the time. I think PL is pretty much all filler. I would like the band to play V in it's entirety live.

3. proulxski

Nothing symphony x has done I justify as filler. Just because they take a different direction. Does not make it filler.

4. Islandstone

Islandstone Member

Accolade, Candle and the title track is pure class. Pharaoh and Witching are fillers. I agree about Out of the Ashes as well; for some reason it has never struck me as a filler. I guess the fact that I have a taste for the chorus helps.

5. proulxski

Blasphemy; Pharaoh is an epic song! Witching, though I've grown to like it. Just feels oddly forced and out of place.

6. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

I like Phaoroh, and as I've stated many times, Eyes of Medusa.
    I don't care much for Ashes, and Witching Hour is one of my least favourite SX tracks...ever.
    Sins and Sea of Lies have gotten old, but they're not bad tracks.
    Candle, Divine, and Accolade are definitely top-notch.

7. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

It's all up to the people who book & promote these shows. Bands develop relationships with GOOD promoters. Just like when bands tour, and people complain they don't hit their nearby towns, it's NOT the band's fault. If there is no promoter in that area, the great tour bus will just drive right on through.

8. SymphonyXV

SymphonyXV Member

That sucks, I am gonna go to the mayor and demand he get better promoters.

9. proulxski

Hey J-Dubs, should I go off on a long irrational rant like the old days? I know some people will get a good laugh at it. Things have changed around here so drastically. Not that its a horrible thing lol

10. SymphonyXV

SymphonyXV Member

I never said I blame SX personally for the fact my town gets shit like All time Low and Panic at the Disco

11. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

They are making more than 10 cents, unless they are getting fucked beyond all recognition. It depends a lot on the specific contract they have, but the band, and the level they are at, should be getting a couple bucks back on each album sold. Yes, I'm certain they are making more money off of live performances, and yes, they do make more money when you buy directly from them as opposed to a retailer.

12. Prog is King

Prog is King Member

Can you imagine?

13. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Don't bug the mayor, talk to the club owners, Some are absolutely ignorant to what's available as far as hard rock/metal.....

In the words of Clint Eastwood: Go ahead, make my day! :devil: :Spin:

Talk to the club owners, find out who books their bands...

14. Soulforged7

Soulforged7 Champion of Ithaca

I'll back off a bit, and retract PL since it's just my Heavy Metal side trying to get some attention. Sticking with TO (and i'll also throw in V).

It's a pretty easy formula for me. What makes a song/album (specifically in this genre) a great one:

- Musicianship
    - How well thought out it is, and how much effort has been put into it (Sonically, Melodically, Lyrically...)
    - Heaviness
    - Originality
    - Catchiness
    - Catchiness
    - Catchiness

I wouldn't call myself the most hardcore Prog fan in all the land, but i listen to my share of Prog Rock/Metal, and i know what's out there more or less. I appreciate most of it, and it's mind blowing alot of the times, but i don't listen to a song to be bombarded my 15 time signature changes per song, and having to use my brain as a calculator to figure out what the fuck is going on. Bare in mind that i'm a musician, and not just a fan of music. So i appreciate it alot when a band like Symphony X can use the whole spectrum of music writing and incorporate time signature/key changes in a song that you can sing along to and follow WHILE incorporating those other elements, which i think they exemplify on The Odyssey. It's a complete album.

Speaking of "filler", as someone already mentioned, DWOT has it's fair share of them and which in my opinion are more uninteresting than the ones on TO, with Pharaoh being my pick of the bunch. Keeping in mind that i don't skip through any track off of TO, and don't consider any of the songs filler.

Again, should we go back to the whole "music is subjective" topic, preferably not, but that's my two cents on the maybe 50% of music that is objective.

15. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

I agree that Ashes is not a filler. I just really, really don't like it.

16. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

Catchiness? That probably ranks lowest on my musical wants list. Whenever people describe why they like a song with the word "catchy", I cringe a little.

17. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

If a good melody is catchy, that's great. If a bad melody is catchy, you're stuck with something you don't like in your head, and that's bad. That's how I figure.

18. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Okay, some contracts provide that the label pays for album costs upfront. That cost is then BILLED with INTEREST to the band, who must pay back the label through SALES. Making sure we got it right here.

As for gigs, yes they generally tend to make a higher margin for bands these days but that is affected by douchebaggery like FYE and Ticketbastard taking cuts of ticket sales and 'package deals' on merch. A band makes the most money when you buy a bunch of stuff directly from their own store and get tix to the gig, especially if they can be bought directly or semi-directly too.

19. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

A good assessment.
    I prefer deeper material, considering that most things considered catchy are pretty 1-Dimensional.

20. proulxski

@Jdubs: I was looking through the old posts, and I found one of the locked threads with everyones hostillity towards Paradise Lost. We've all come along way id say. I mean everyone, including myself, was being crazy.

Though after such an aftermath, I figured Iconoclast would turn out different. I suppose not, its a bit of a shame really.

@Gentleman: I could not agree more, what most people classify as catchy, happen to be very 1-dimensional. Though 'catchy' in my eye, is some sweet, yet deep melodies. I go to pain of salvation for that. I mean, most of their songs are anti catchy as far as the standards are concerned. But the way the instruments go together, and Gild's many voices. Makes it very memorable, and catchy.