This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NFL 2012

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by skeptik, Mar 2, 2012.

1. skeptik

skeptik Member

I apologize for starting one of these so early, but there's just so much going on with the Steelers right now that it's hard not to talk about.

First of all, the Steelers opened the offseason with what GM Kevin Colbert projected to be a salary cap $25M over the limit, at around $145M. In the last couple weeks, they have made the following moves:

Cut Bryant McFadden (starter on 3 Super Bowl teams)
    Cut Arnaz Battle (special teams captain)
    Restructured the contracts of LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons
    Restructured the contract of Ike Taylor
    Restructured the contract of Willie Colon
    Then the big restructure, Ben Roethlisberger

And now, in the last 2 and a half days, they have cut Hines Ward, Chris Kemoeatu, Aaron Smith, and James Farrior. That is a shitload of leadership walking out of the locker room. Farrior was the quarterback of the defense for the past decade and the defensive captain. Arnaz Battle was the special teams captain. Hines Ward was the co-captain of the offense along with Heath Miller last year. Aaron Smith is one of the most beloved Steelers of all time. On top of all that, longtime backup nose tackle Chris Hoke retired a month ago. He played most of the 2004 season when the Steelers went 15-1 because Casey Hampton tore an ACL. He was another locker room favorite. Who steps up to replace them? Obviously Ben Roethlisberger is now the unquestioned leader of the offense. He's now the oldest, having just turned 30. On defense, you have Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, and Keisel, but none of them are what Farrior was as a leader. He was the nucleus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, this is what all of these moves have amounted to in terms of the salary cap:

QB Ben Roethlisberger: Restructure — $8.15 million
    LB LaMarr Woodley: Restructure — $6.56 million
    LB Lawrence Timmons: Restructure — $5.14 million
    WR Hines Ward: Release — $3.37 million
    CB Ike Taylor: Restructure — $3.28 million
    OL Willie Colon: Restructure — $2.85 million
    LB James Farrior: Release - $2.825 million
    CB Bryant McFadden: Release — $2.5 million
    OL Chris Kemoeatu: Release — $2.39 million
    DL Aaron Smith: Release — $2.11 million
    WR Arnaz Battle: Release — $1.04 million

Total savings: approximately $40.2 million

This gives the team about $15M to work with to sign their free agents. Mike Wallace is obviously the most talked about, for good reason, but the idea of putting the franchise tag on him is insane, especially this year. The tag hit for WRs this year is close to $10M, and the team just doesn't have that kind of money. And he's not worth that kind of money. Neither is DeSean Jackson, who was already tagged, or Dwayne Bowe, who is expected to be tagged. But, also consider the depth of this WR class; why would a team want to give up a 1st round pick AND sign a player to a gigantic, front-loaded contract to make sure that the Steelers don't match the offer when they can sign an unrestricted free agent like Marques Colston or about a half dozen others? Sure, the Patriots have the draft picks to spend, but after throwing a couple away last year on Ochocinco and Haynesworth, you'd think they would be more prudent about it. The Steelers should be able to keep him with a 1st round tender at $2.7M.

But that still leaves them with only 3 WRs on the roster, which makes me think that they really would like to re-sign Jerricho Cotchery, but he doesn't want to be a 4th receiver. Maybe they draft somebody.

Releasing James Farrior means the Steelers need to find his replacement. Maybe they have their eyes set on drafting Dont'a Hightower now that Dontari Poe has risen up the draft boards. All of a sudden, however, NT, ILB, and S are critical needs. It's unlikely that Poe, the NT, will fall for the 24th spot, but Hightower might be there, as might Mark Barron, a S, although I don't really like the idea of drafting a S in the first round. They could also use a guard, but I don't see one at 24.

Long story short, what are you hoping your team drafts, and what is the likelihood that they are able to?

2. skeptik

skeptik Member

Also, evidently some scandal just broke with the Saints in some kind of bounty system that higher ups in the organization at least knew about.

3. Dak

Dak mentat

Saw Mendenhall isn't expected back either. At least that's what ESPN said today.

4. Dak

Dak mentat

So far, the swapping of Free & Smith has already been verified.

5. skeptik

skeptik Member

Well, it's possible, if not likely, that he starts the season on the PUP list, but I think he'll be able to contribute this year. It may well be his last with the Steelers though. He's the type of runner whose excellence is dependent on consistent blocking, and the Steelers' o-line has been in the bottom-third since Alan Faneca left. I think he can be a top 5 runner if he ran behind a line like Houston's or something though.

I am kind of excited about the prospects of the running game without Mendenhall though. I like the guys that they have behind him, and I think they could make an excellent RB-by-committee. Redman is capable of getting difficult yardage and makes his own holes, and his YPC has been more than admirable thus far. Behind him is a bunch of young guys like Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay, and Baron Batch. They drafted Batch in the 7th round last year and was receiving rave reviews until he tore his ACL in training camp. All reports are that he's almost fully recovered already though. He should replace Mewelde Moore as the third down/pass catching back this year.

Edit: With Bruce Arians gone, it will be interesting if Todd Haley decides to use a true fullback.

6. skeptik

skeptik Member

Peyton throwing:

#6 skeptik, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  7. zerostatic

zerostatic Damned in Flames

I dislike the Steelers, but I predict they will continue to be a good, tough team. They draft and develop players as well as any team in the league it seems.

The Saints bounty scandal doesn't really surprise me. Very unprofessional and embarrassing though.

Da Bears used the Franchise tag on Matt Forte. I hope the Bears can work out a long term deal for Forte before the season starts. The Bears also released Anthony Adams and Frank Omiyale. Omiyale's release was overdue in my opinion. I will be shocked if any team in the NFL signs him for 2012 after his pathetic performance with the Bears.

Depending on how much Forte is paid the Bears should have about 20-23 million in salary cap space. Hopefully that is enough to upgrade wide receiver, offensive line and the pass rush.

8. crimsonfloyd

crimsonfloyd Member

Its hard to know what to think of the Steelers right now. That's a lot of leadership to lose in one offseason. However it was inevitable with an expensive, older team like that. The Steelers have good leadership, so they should be able to bounce back.

The Eagles tagged Jackson, which I think is the right move. Yeah, he's overrated, but fits the Eagles system really well. I would expect McCoy's production to drop if Jackson left town. I don't see a better fit on the free agent market, so I say keep him. If a good, bigger receiver is available in the draft, then go for it. These days, you really need three good receivers.

As far as the draft, I would like LB Luke Kuechly. I know, Reid doesn't draft LBs early in the draft, but considering how terrible the LB play was this season, I think he might have to change his mind. However, I'm not sure Luke will fall to 15 after his great combine performance.

Guard David DeCastro would also be a good pick, if Even Mathis leaves in free agency.

But mostly the concern is linebackers, linebackers, linebackers. I honestly think most of the other units on the Eagles are pretty solid or are close enough that there is no need for panic, but the linebackers are just awful.

9. King Richard

King Richard Always against the wind

Yeap, saw that yesterday too and posted it on FB. He looks pretty fucking good if you ask me man. I've been saying Fuck Luck ever since that shit started and I will continue saying it with even more conviction.

TRADE THE PICK IRSAY FFS AND LOAD THIS TEAM UP FOR PEYTON

10. skeptik

skeptik Member

I completely agree with you about Kuechly. He seems to have the potential to be that kind of defensive leader that can really organize a team. He and DeCastro might both be there on the board for the Eagles. I'd love for the Steelers to be able to get either of those guys, or Poe, but it's likely that they'll all be gone, and probably too far gone for them to even make a move for them. Unless Poe somehow falls, I'm left hoping for Hightower, and possibly drafting a NT like Alameda Ta'amu or Michael Brockers if he can show that he can stay dedicated and add weight.

Reports are now surfacing that Gregg Williams was running a similar bounty system with the Bills and Redskins, while reports about the Titans seem to be mixed. I wonder how deep this actually goes. I mean, surely he's not the only coach to have ever done this either, but how far has he, personally, gone? After all, he's seemingly the first coach to be spotlighted for it.

The Colts are still going to draft Luck regardless of what happens to Peyton IMO.

11. crimsonfloyd

crimsonfloyd Member

0% chance.

Yeah Kuechly seems to have it all. Execution, production, instincts and leadership. Now that he has shown himself to have the physical skills, I don't think there's many questions left.

I think Hightower would work well as an ILB in the 3-4, but he probably lacks the speed for the 4-3. Seems like a classic Steelers pick.

12. Dak

Dak mentat

13. skeptik

skeptik Member

I just saw that as well. I suppose nobody could really claim that it's surprising, although I still always maintained that they would keep him, and that that would not impede them from drafting Luck anyway.

14. King Richard

I've never seen Peyton get emotional like that, it was hard to watch. RIP to one of the greatest era's in NFL history.

[​IMG]

Now, here's to hoping he signs with the Dolphins and makes Brady and Belichick's life a living hell twice a year for the rest of his career.

15. Dak

Dak mentat

I sense a Montana-esque end for Peyton.

16. King Richard

Depends on where he ends up man. If he lands on a team with an average or above average defense, the sky is the limit. Peyton is a better QB than Montana, much better in my opinion, so as long as he finds a team that isn't a complete fucking embarrassment like the Colts were/are/will be, I think he'll, at the very least, be in the playoffs every season until he retires.

17. Black Orifice

Black Orifice Vein-Marbled Tower

I'm hoping he gets drafted to the Redskins. That way, I won't have to watch a shitty team every Sunday and it may inspire the Cowboys to stop throwing games away.

18. crimsonfloyd

crimsonfloyd Member

Good but not great?

19. Dak

Dak mentat

Basically.Go to a mediocre team to generate excitement, maybe a playoff appearance.

20. muzmaze

muzmaze pyramontyrsuidvan

Tony Dungy was quoted saying that Peyton won't necessarily want to go to a team that can win a championship...but he will want to go to a team were he'll be comfortable.:lol:

Thats all you need to know about the player.