This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

non-metalheads around here?

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by Let it burn..., Jul 2, 2008.

1. Let it burn...

Let it burn... Orgasm Donor

Apart from some hardcore and trashmetal, i'm not a metalhead at all. I like the music, like the gigs, but it's just nothing that i play on my stereo. I'm more into alternative stuff right now, like post-rock, sludge and electro.

Anybody else who's main genre is not metal? :oops:

2. t-rave

t-rave Member

I guess i am more into classic rock, indie, and prog rock over alot of todays metal...

but still a metal head at heart:headbang:

3. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

Love the old metal, not to much the new. I'm more into what you said: "more into alternative stuff right now, like post-rock, sludge and electro."

4. sparkyness

sparkyness Explore The Space

I wouldn't consider myself a metalhead at all. I'm stuck sometime in the early/mid 90's and listen to a lot of noisey rock stuff from then - Cave In, Helmet, Jawbox, Fugazi, At The Drive In, Quicksand, etc. Am a big fan of glitchy-indie stuff like The Notwist as well.

Most metal these days bores me to tears (or makes me laugh) with a few exceptions. I check out a lot of stuff, but don't find much pure "metal" that inspires me. Most of my favourite metal bands are either past their best or have broken up. Am hoping for a few upcoming releases to kick me in the arse though....

5. Genius Gone Insane

Genius Gone Insane http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

all of the above

G*Y!

do not want!!!!

ps: disclaimer, I support g*y marriage

6. jangoux

jangoux Member

I am not a metalhead at all. Actually i disliked metal forever, but now i am more and more into metal. I dont like too much screaming but i just love the kind of sounds related to metal bands.

7. siegfried

siegfried Member

I´m in metal as well as in many other genres, not only metal (from ethereal to amy winehouse, from loreena mckennitt to lofi micromusic).

8. _Brutalism_

_Brutalism_ Member

I am very much into metal and open minded about it to a certain extent. (No Nu-Metal/Rap-Nu-Metal/Noisecore/Noisegrind though),

However, I would say that my love for classical music is way up there, along, of course, with an interest in jazz, funk and also ambient stuff like soundtracks.

But metal has been ingrained into my blood and I will always have a love for it. I am an individual after all, I think METALHEAD just closes you down to just being a metal fanatic and I'm sure most of us audio enthusiasts would be lacking a lot in ideas and skills iif all we cared for was metal.

9. Torniojaws

Torniojaws They call me Juha

I'd say I'm 30 % split with metal, electronic music (the harder stuff mostly: industrial, aggrotech, ebm) and ambient/neoclassical, with 10 % being a wide selection of other genres. In fact, my top 3 most listened bands by play count are not metal at all: http://www.last.fm/user/Torniojaws/ :lol: I'm sure there would be a lot more ambient bands in my list but because the songs are generally nearing 10 minutes in length, they don't quite get there.

10. Pot

Pot Member

i´d say nobody here is a straight edged metal head who only listens to metal.....and if there´anyone like that here stop being deaf of ear because there´s great music out there :)

11. Psylent_pulse

Psylent_pulse New Metal Member

I am way more into gabber/hardstyle/aggrotech then metal, however metal bands like At the gates, Death, Rotten sound, The Berzerker have influenced me and my music alot.

considering the amount of genres, sub-genres, sub-sub-genres, etc. there is a crap load of knowledge to be shared and sounds to be explored.

12. Chryst Krispies

Chryst Krispies Vanilla Gorilla

I like classical music way more than I like metal.

13. abyssofdreams

abyssofdreams knows what you think.

I like every kind of music as long as I can call it somewhat music and if it moves me. Open mind for everything.
    I'm a big fan of individuals musicians though, e.g. Emilie Simon and Imogen Heap. If you don't know them and like electronic music check them out.
    +1 on Classical music, +2 on soundtracks, ambient/downtempo FTW. Also...Aphex Twin rocks! Now bash me ;)

Oh and Slim Shady has some nice stuff too!

14. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

Can't bash you, love Imogen Heap & Aphex Twin. I'm all over the place.

Skinny Puppy, dam I love SP. Specially Too Dark Park & Last Rights. The Cure is awesome in my book. Björk rules. Danzig I like a lot. George Thorogood (I drink Alone =) Marilyn Manson, Love it. Sepultura (old sep) it just keeps going...... Faith No More, Soulfly, Tool, Venetian Snares, A Place To Bury Strangers ext..... ext...

I'll always have love for metal.

15. JBroll

JBroll I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!

I was raised on jazz, classical, and old prog rock, those will always be a huge part of my musical tastes.

Jeff

16. MetalJonesy

MetalJonesy more metal, more booze!!!

i love everything, my first fav bands were the classic rock bands of the 70s. mite also be seeing elton john on tour on saturday, and have already got my stevie wonder ticket for september!

17. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Eh, I definitely enjoy stuff other than metal (80s synthy stuff; funk/old-school R & B like Tower of Power and any of that other infectious wailing-trumpet groovy stuff; jazz-fusion with emphasis on the fusion, etc.), but metal is far and above the dominant genre I listen to. However, I include a lot of things under the metal umbrella, including prog-rock and Van Halen, but I also completely and utterly shun others, namely hardcore, which along with punk is probably my least favorite genre in existence (except maybe for Reggaeton :) ).

Jazz honestly has always left me cold; most of what I've heard doesn't inspire any emotional response at all, instead always striking me as just "coooool baby" (said in raspy black guy voice), but never really getting any hooks into me; I just don't perceive any emotion in what I hear. I know there are plenty of legit jazz appreciators, and the following isn't really a slight against the music, but I feel like a lot of people listen to and proclaim their love of jazz simply for the pompous pretentious asshole factor, which is also more than a bit of a turnoff. In short, I like when jazz elements are fused into rock/metal, but the genre by itself...not for me.

18. _Brutalism_

_Brutalism_ Member

True, however, If you're a drummer for example, you'll appreciate it even if you don't truly "feel the song" but just understand the complexity and techique of the player.

19. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ...might be drunk.

I like other styles of music a lot. But my heart is in Metal. REAL Metal though... The good stuff... NWOBHM, Bay Area Thrash (and BTW kids, it IS THrash, NOT trash. Fuck, I HATE it when someone screws that up!), Old School Florida Death Metal, European Death Metal... etc.

I DO NOT like the bullshit that AAA Radio tries to pass off as some kind of metal. I don't know what most of that shit is, but I don't like it. So, I keep my radio dialed in to the local Classic Rock station. I also like John Coltrane, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, SRV, Jeff Healey Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, Mountain, Molly Hatchet, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Hank Sr., and Waylon Jennings. And I fucking HATE new-school Country music. Nothing "True Grit" about a bunch of former Glam rockers trying to sound like a Bubble-gum version of George Strait.

The only form of music I've actually performed, other than Metal, is Jazz. And that was a lot of fun.

20. JBroll

JBroll I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!

There are wannabe-snobs who listen to jazz just like there are stupid pretentious 14-year-olds who listen to metal because they think it looks cool. If you can really feel what's going on in jazz, which takes a much different mindset than metal, you can get into it - but for most people, who don't spend a lot of time on it, it's a really odd move.

Jeff