This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NWoBHM

Discussion in 'Old School Metal Discussion' started by Griffin-, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Big D

Big D Member

1.The theme to Black Heaven was released as a Japanese single and is called "Cautionary Warning" Quite a respectable track although the actual Black Heaven anime is a bit of a letdown (Even if it does mention Michael Schenker on a regular basis. )
    2. Sorry but Judas Priest are not NWOBHM. They were a first/second generation band that just happened to hit their stride at about the same time. They might have looked at was going on and tweaked their sound a bit though.
    3. I would also recommend the "Metal Explosion" and "Friday Rock Show" compilations. Pretty much every track is worth listening to.

2. TheGraveDigger

TheGraveDigger Heavy Metal Maniac

I still have alot of NWOBHM to discover. The bands I know and love are Venom, Raven, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Grim Reaper.

I recently attended the March Metal Meltdown Festival in Irvington, NJ and they had an NWOBHM all star band featuring Al Atkins (Judas Priest), Dennis Stratton (Iron Maiden), and Jess Cox (Tygers Of Pan Tang). They were not too impressive live and made me rather bored.

3. Ayeka

Ayeka Hell Bent For Leather!

Michael Schenker plugs are enough to make me hunt this fucker down!

4. Destruction

Destruction Thrasher

NWOBHM for me:

Saxon
    Venom
    Blitzkrieg
    Sweet Savage
    Satan
    Bloodmoney
    Wolfbane (not same band as Blaze's wolfsbane)
    Wolf
    AngelWitch
    Fist
    Rage(uk)
    Speed
    Grimreaper
    Vardis
    Trespass
    Weapon
    Etc.

5. Hawk

Hawk Henri Serton
    Staff Member

I have seen Satan live at the Dynamo club many times. Have their demo and I am on the inner sleeve of their debut album.

My favorite Satan song is "opression". I love the guitar intro. Their "Kiss of Death" is also very good. They were great live! I did not like their later material and the name changes. But hey what can you do, right? I told them it was stupid to do it. But nooooo, they had to see for themselves.

They were rather a few bands from that era doing stupid things. Not just NWOBH bands. Consider Anvil for instance. Raven same tale; first 3 albums and the EP's and singles are great, After that :(.

Well, they payed for it. It's all to bad though.

6. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

I beg to disagree, I don't know about Blind Fury, but Pariah's albums are all wonderful. The energy of "The Kindred" and "Blaze Of Obscurity" are amazing, is thrash very depurated and powerful. IMO the bad choice of English/Raeme was to bail out to Skyclad (and I like Skyclad). When I heard "Unity" I knew the band still has a lot to offer, especially if they can reunite with Sean Taylor on drums. As for Brian Ross or Michael Jackson (poor guy, share the name with the mutant from overseas), I prefer Jackson, but it seems the WOA reunion will be with Ross.

7. Fangface

Fangface Child of the Damned

If you wanna know more about Satan's Brian Ross-era or Blitzkrieg, here's a brand new retrospective by Brian himself : http://riffs.8m.com/blitzinter.html

As for Pariah I've never heard their reunion album, is it any good?

8. Hawk

Hawk Henri Serton
    Staff Member

Wyvern

You have every right to disagree. There are a lot of people who agree with you. Not that this changes my opinion though :).

I understand what you are saying here. But I *never* debate personal taste. I have found in the + 25 years that I am in the hard-rock/metal scene that it is counter-productive. I respect your opinion but notice that we disagree. There's nothing wrong with that. I just don't feel the need to convince you of the righteousness of my viewpoint, so we agree to disagree It's all good bro' ;)

O, and I think Brain Ross RULES!

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

@ Fang: "Unity" is a very good album, it was like: we now close properly the chapter, goodbye and God bless you. Still I would have reunited the band with Taylor and Jackson for the farewell (stubborn bloke!).

In any case I hope those attending WOA that Satan will give you one hell of a performance, scream some for me please :headbang:

10. Hawk

Hawk Henri Serton
    Staff Member

I am thinking hard about going. If I go I'll SCREAM my head of!!

11. Greeno

Greeno Member

Damn Hawk!!! Now you got me pulling out old vinyl looking for you!! So which one are you? I'm assuming you're in the picture of all the people sitting on top of the car and it says "Dynamo Bunch" above it.

And you said that you are on the back cover of Raven's "Wiped Out" lp also, right? Where are you on that one?

Any others?

12. AngelWitch73

AngelWitch73 Member

Just have a look at my screen name. :) I likes me some ANGELWITCH and also most of the bands mentioned already.

13. Fangface

seems like Hawk is our worldwide star :D

14. Greeno

Greeno Member

No doubt! Him and Baldyboy. Do we have any other famous people in here. I know JonnyD is wanted in 6 states..... does that count as famous? :p

15. JonnyD

JonnyD Chef Metal

:headbang: you rock Greeno

16. AngelWitch73

AngelWitch73 Member

I´m in a GRAVE DIGGER dvd, does that count ? I´m also wanted in Maryland for going through a red light. (I swear, I did not see a red light).

17. Fangface

hey, I'm also in a bunch of DVDs ahah!

I'm sure there are people here thanked in some booklets as well, but we probably should start another thread for that ;)

18. Greeno

Greeno Member

Good idea! Start that mother!!

19. Hawk

Hawk Henri Serton
    Staff Member

Satan Album

On the RIGHT side on the hood of the car. I have the glasses and open my arms. You can see my LONG BLOND CURLY HAiR god damnit, I used to have :erk::erk::erk:

Raven Album Wiped out
    Vinyl version

Their are two black pieces of txt in the back side of the album.
    They are somewere near the bottom.

On the left one there's the songs and on the right one the band members are mentioned and their equipment is listed.

Just above the right one where the band members are named their is a picture of 3 guy's. The one in the middle has LONG HAIR, glasses a red shirt and a leather bike jacket with 3 visable button on. That's me.

The guy's on my left is noone else but Metal Mike the chief editor of the Dutch Mag Aardschok, The guy on my right is none other that Dave Wood their manager at the time.

Those are the only two album sleeves I am on.

However their is a small chance I will be on the sleeve of the new Sieges Even DVD. This will be recorded next weekend coming sunday. I helped them land the gig at the Headway festival.

20. Greeno

Greeno Member

That's cool as hell, Hawk! The pic on the Raven LP is they coolest one. The pic on the Satan insert is hard to make out, it's from a distance I guess. You're the guy all the way on the right with white shoes on right?