This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nymphetamine - Cradle of Filth guitar sound

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by Manicompression, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Manicompression

Manicompression doing it for the kids

I dont really care much for COF, but i was sitting around crushing beers with my buddy when he put on the record nymphetamine. I think the guitar sound / mix on this record is incredible. I see that Colin mixed it, however after much googling that is about all i can seem to find out about it. It sounds different than alot of the guitar tones ive heard him get. Does anyone know anything at all about this? What guitars, amps, mics..... anything at all.

2. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

Sorry, I have no idea, but if you like the mix on Nymphetamine you should honestly check out Damnation and A Day, IMO it´s a better mix (Nymph was released not even a year after DaaD, to me it sounds rushed and uninteresting in general) and in my books a perfect mix, almost any metal band would benefit from a mix as heavy and crystal clear as that one, plus the orchestrations and choir mix so well with everything else and is used in a very interesting and not boring/cliché way.

3. reneisgod

reneisgod Cnocantursa

Nymphetamine;
    VHT Pitbull

Thornography;
    Krank Krankenstein, Mesa cab v30, sm57.

Cruelty;
    6505 with a ts9 boost, marshall 1960 (g12 75)

The top 2 may be the other way around;

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inte..._of_cradle_of_filth_developing_the_style.html

Paul states in this interview that thornography was the pitbull but Andy sneap says it was a Krankenstein, so....@:&*?????? Id go with what Andy says here tbh.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/sneap-produced-albums/261019-cradle-filth.html

to my ears Nymphetamine screams Krank!

I can only guess Paul tracked through a Pitbull on Thornography and sneap later reamped it during mixing via the Krank.

4. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Thornography is definitely a Krank to my ears. I'd put money on Sneap having reamped that one.

5. Manicompression

Badass, I saw Helmet a while back and Page was using a Pitbull. Sounded awesome. Those have Kt88s right? Any ideas as to other parts of the recorded signal chain? At Dan, Ive been told that other COF records were better and intend to look into it, but the guitar tone on nymphetamine is just really thick sounding and different from what ive heard from Andy and Colin in the past. Its always a sacrifice though when you shoot for such a thick low mid sound in guitars because invariably other elements start to suffer or struggle to be heard....

6. reneisgod

reneisgod Cnocantursa

yeah its defo the Krank on Thornograhy, no idea what Paul is talking about
    in that intervew, possibly endorsed by VHT at the time and couldnt mention Krank?

7. reneisgod

reneisgod Cnocantursa

''Badass, I saw Helmet a while back and Page was using a Pitbull. Sounded awesome. Those have Kt88s right? Any ideas as to other parts of the recorded signal chain? At Dan, Ive been told that other COF records were better and intend to look into it, but the guitar tone on nymphetamine is just really thick sounding and different from what ive heard from Andy and Colin in the past. Its always a sacrifice though when you shoot for such a thick low mid sound in guitars because invariably other elements start to suffer or struggle to be heard....''

dude dispite Paul claiming its a VHT on Nymphetamine id place money that its infact a Krank, the tone on Nymphetamine has that Krank signature mid range written all over it.

8. Seizure.

Seizure. Member

Im at the mastersoundstudio's as we speak, were liv recorded her vox for the song, and i believe Alex should know about this, i'll ask in a second :)

9. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot

I've known James (McIlroy) as an online mate for a few years now, I just asked him since he was on this album before leaving, and then rejoining again for the latest album.

He says:

"- Marshall DSL
    - Soldano something, either an Avenger a Slo, or something, can't remember.
    - Possibly a VHT Pitbull, but i think we blew it up.

Pretty much just that through a normal marshall cab with sm57, and a 70's cab with g12h30's and a condensor."

10. Manicompression

Awesome Mattayus, so just a good blend it seems, always hard to know what really ends up on the final product. At Seizure, it would be cool if someone down there knows for sure. Thanks to all though, this thread has already proved super informative.

11. Paulie!

Paulie! ¯\(°_o)/¯ How Do Trigger?

I'm going to agree with Dan, Damnation (in my opinion) is the best sounding album Cradle has ever put out..

Nymphetamine was decent but it didn't have that "every song is great" thing that Damnation had going for it..
    Also, not a fan of Thornography.. But I could listen to Damnation and a Day on friggin' repeat.

I have the Damnation Making Of DVD, I need to look at the guitar tracking part more closely later...