This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

On the Market for a Live Digital Mixer

Discussion in 'Backline' started by acappa, Jun 1, 2015.

1. acappa

acappa Alex Cappa TMF Studios

Hi people! I´m thinking on getting my own mixing desk for live shows, my max budget is 8000 euros.
    What I have in mind is: Midas M32, Behringer X32, Allen & Heath Qu-32....
    Dont know if you guys have any suggestions??

2. MartijnPaauwe

MartijnPaauwe Member

Can't go wrong with Midas!

I know Behringer is upping their game lately, but I do think Behringer still has a bad name amongst live mixers

3. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

When reading my opinions below, keep in mind my primary console is a Digidesign/Avid SC48 and/or a Yamaha CL5.

BEHRINGER X21 / MIDAS M32
    I have seen a shit ton of X32's all over the place lately. Touring groups are lugging them around sometimes as a primary console and sometimes as a backup - if you are running a band with all ears, it would be a cheap investment for your ear rig.

I finally got some hands on with the Midas M32 this past weekend and it's basically the same console with 'better' Midas pres and faders. Overall I think it's not a good move to devalue the Midas brand. These consoles have the necessary functionality but i just can't work as fast with them as i feel i need to. They do feel cheap. In a live setting, as I have mentioned before, preamp quality is usually not even considered on a gig, it's more about speed and work flow - "can this thing do what i need RIGHT NOW?".

A&H QU SERIES
    I have used a QU-16 and much prefer the QU series to the Behringer/Midas, and Soundcraft options at this price point. I feel like they are faster to work on and it's a shit ton easier to use the touch screen to enter channel names etc. If you have used the AH GLD series, the QU feels pretty much the same to me.

SOUNDCRAFT EXPRESSION
    I have been forced to use some of these a few times and they just feel cheap as shit. I had some issues with scenes not recalling everything i needed when doing some live broadcast stuff and it was a total clusterfuck. There are some other workflow killers and things that just don't make sense the way they are setup. I do not like these too much at all.

OTHER
    There are a shit ton of cheap digital consoles hitting the market right now. Presonus is finally doing a console with motorized faders and Yamaha has the TF series hitting as well. There are also a lot of the rack based solutions where you use digital splits for I/O and then control everything with a tablet - I definitely would avoid that though.

4. acappa

Awesome guys, thanks for the input.
    I keep my eye on that allen & heath and also those Yamaha TF, but the quality of the preamps seem an absolute enigma to me...

5. acappa

Allen & Heath GLD112 + inputs sound promising...

6. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

Just be aware the number of inputs you need because a lot of these consoles have less inputs on the actual console, which means you will need the digital snake head - which means you need another rack case for it as well. Personally I like having all I/O on the console if possible so if it's a small gig I can just run my analog sub snakes into the back of the console and not have to carry another rack with digital snakes. The X32/M32 do indeed have all inputs on the back.

I will say if you are putting FOH in traditional spots, the digital snakes are worth the cost. One long CAT5 run vs a big 32/48 channel analog snake will save space, time, and your back!

7. JonWormwood

JonWormwood Member

Been a long time user of the x32 just bought a xr18 for a new iem setup.

8. Drummerrrrr?

Drummerrrrr? Member

DiGiCo are realeasing the S21 next week if you're looking for a higher end brand's take on the smaller budget digital console. It's a bit more expensive than the likes of the X32 though, as you'd assume.

9. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

yes, very excited to check this out.

10. acappa

I´ve used Digico SD8 and D5 and man, that firmware and those fx really really suck balls hahaha. Hope they have improved that

11. MetalSound

MetalSound Member

how about a used vi console? for 8000 euros you should get one in good condition.
    these are excellent mixers.
    if you need something "light" you may get a yamaha ls9 although i wouldn´t buy one personally.

12. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

Awesome console, main digital mixer and stagebox at a rental service I work with. Preamps are great too!