This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Opeth fan demographics

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by coupdemon, Sep 26, 2008.

1. coupdemon

coupdemon New Metal Member

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to Opeth. Just saw them at the Nokia theater in NYC and it was one of the best shows of my life. I'm curious to see the combination of older (me) and newer metal heads who love this band. I'll start: 36 years old. Opeth fan since around Damnation....yeah I got a late start...so what. Cheers.

2. metal_wrath

metal_wrath I dip my forefinger...

Opeth fan demographics:

40% Atheist; 20% Christian; 20% Orthodox Opethian; 10% Agnostic; 6.66% Satanist; 2.22% Jewish; 2.00% Other; .21% Buddhist; 0.01% Scientologist.

3. Luann

Luann Member

4. demon of the moor

20 yeh to be young lol

5. Twelveby5

Twelveby5 No Carrot For Hopefuls

I'm a 29 year old. Been an Atheist Opethian since MAYH.

6. BefriendedUnit

BefriendedUnit They wear white for me

Way more than half of the Opethians I know are Jews. And then there's all the Israelis on the board here.

7. BlackLodge

BlackLodge I am the macabre enslaver

18, agnostic. Have listened to them for about three years.:heh:

8. baarg

baarg Hal 9000

:erk: 31 but proud metal head :headbang:

9. FullMetalCornflake

FullMetalCornflake blasphemously delicious

30 yr old female, been a fan since BWP

10. Black Session

Black Session Heretic Misanthrope

26 years old, huge fan since Deliverance came out (and purchased entire back catalogue within the year after that), 100% convinced atheist with a lot of valid arguments to back it up (something lacking often it seems), archaeologist of the ancient near east especially Iran and Iraq (would be interesting to add occupations and stuff if we want demographics).

11. tchocky

tchocky the evil pirate bloodnose

21, been a fan of Opeth since 2001, and I'm an atheist.

..bit like an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting this is.

12. Vuashke

Vuashke New Metal Member

lol, 100% atheist? i know there is no evidence for a god at all, but isnt it impractical to rule it out completely? how about 99.9% sure there is no god? we have only explored a tiny, tiny, tiny segment of the sprawling universe, why completely rule out the chance of a god, or higher being? just because the religions that exist today are bullshit doesnt mean there is no such thing as a good existing, its just highly unlikely. there may be a flying spaghetti monster or invisible pink uniform too, lots of stuff is possibly especially since the human race knows very little of the 'outside world'

13. Twelveby5

Twelveby5 No Carrot For Hopefuls

Kvlt.

14. Hedon-

Hedon- vic firth 2b

18 israel!

15. Annihilat0r

Annihilat0r TRINITY WATCH IN AMAZING!

I'm 23.

Arguing religion with YOU I don't think anyone could dare.

16. Prestige

Prestige Member

18, been a fan since ghost reveries

17. baarg

baarg Hal 9000

I would.
    Since we are adding demographics...(not sure if this belongs to this area of the forum but nevermind) I am studying Philosophy and Psychology so this can be quite an interesting thread (for me)...
    I actually agree with Vuashke and would also add that it is a bit arrogant to rule out the existence of god since well, we don't know enough. There are good arguments for evolutionary theory (excellent arguments) but evolutionary theory does not explain the fine-tuning of the universe that is apt for life, etc..I won't go into details because I don't want to make a thesis out of this, besides there are arguments against all the design arguments as well. The major problem that the creationist faces is to explain what god created god if god appeared out of nothing, and why did he/she/it decided to emerge...but again, there's always an argument any creationist has up their sleeve: it is arrogant to think we can come up with an answer when we are simple creatures and don't know enough about the nature of time, space and the universe or even ourselves.
    I think it is more plausible to deny the existence of a holy god altogether rather than deny the existence of a creator, since the problem of evil is very damaging to religion (western). Dostoyevsky:

"Imagine that you are creating a fabric of human destiny with the object of making men happy in the end, giving them peace and rest at last, but that it was essential and inevitable to torture to death only one tiny creature - that baby beating its breast with its fist, for instance - and to found that edifice on its unavenged tears, would you consent to be the architect on those conditions? Tell me, and tell the truth?"

- Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov

18. babymilk

babymilk Scrumptulescent

17, started listening to Opeth when I was 13.

19. Annihilat0r

Annihilat0r TRINITY WATCH IN AMAZING!

Thanks for telling the two most pointless things people from both camps tell as the main "evidence" for their beliefs:

Atheist remark: "If God created everything, what created God?"

Oh come on, I don't know if you really said that, but whoever thinks like this should fucking COME ON! We're talking about something which has the ability to fucking CREATE things out of nothing (and maybe even sending prophets and writing "books" like Koran or whatever). This being should totally be above any physical consideration. And time is a very physical consideration. If you're above physics, you're also above time and you don't need to be created from something. You just are, was, and will be.

Believer remark: "How can the conditions on Earth which are so tight be all fine-tuned by themselves? We wouldn't exist if the axis was one degree narrower or wider etc etc."

This is also very much stupid and shows an immense ignorance of the universe. The thing is: THE UNIVERSE IS FUCKING BIG. It's so incomprehensibly large that there is a very good chance some coincidence of conditions that's really very very very unlikely to happen is actually likely to happen in ONE planet or star out of billions. We are THAT planet. There are 70 sextillion (70.000.000.000.000.000.000.000) stars (and that's only the ones we can see), so is it really hard to understand that the conditions and coincidences that need to happen are really likely to happen in at least one of them? It happened here on Earth.

20. ever dying

ever dying Forlorn Faeces!

18, started listening in 2004..
    Proud supporter of the Spaghetti monster :ill: