This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Photography / Videography

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Since we have a few photographers and video people on the forum (myself included), I thought it would be cool to chat about our rigs, show off some pics if you like, and all of that kind of thing. :)

My current (personal) rig:

Canon 7D + several batteries and CF cards
    18-200mm Canon EF-S IS lens
    50mm Canon f/1.4
    various filters (several stops of ND filters, UV, CPL, etc.)
    Shit tripod (being replaced soon)
    Glidecam 1000 steadicam
    various audio recording and boom + mic accessories
    Shoulder mount rig with follow focus for mounting the DSLR like a video camera

and a lot of other gear shared between me and my other partner at Dusk, including cranes, dollies, big fuck-off Steadicam+vest, LED light panels, and heaps more. We have 2 other 7D cameras and a pile of useful lenses and filters.

Fav' lens is my 50mm prime. The low aperture depth of focus is just amazing and the bokeh it produces is glorious. All of the moody focus stuff in Tania Moran's Say It's Over clip or LORD's Forever clip was done by that lens, and it's great in low light.

So, people - whatcha got? What do you like? Got any examples of your work to show off your stuff? (I'll post some of mine later).

2. Cooee

Cooee Member

I wouldn't call myself either a photographer / videographer but have an interest I would like to explore. I've looked on Ebay a couple times for some old camera gear that I could pick up relatively cheap and that would be very hands on (manual focus, manual white balance, etc) but haven't really found anything. If anyone has any recommendations that would give me a good avenue of entry, I'd be happy to hear them :)

3. Cooee

Cooee Member

4. Lord Tim

Wow, that's really cool actually! :)

That said, a lot of the new DSLRs out there can do that for about $500 odd for an entry level one (obviously 10x the amount you're paying for this) and you're getting 1920x1080 digital resolution on a file as opposed to 720x576 analogue resolution on media that degrades and needs to be digitised.

That camera certainly has its charm, though - I'd love to see the kind of footage it produces. :)

5. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

Nikon D5100
    18-55lens
    50-300 lens
    50-500 lens (sigma)
    tripod
    monopod
    uv and macro filters

some of my pics, im still learning and i dont use photoshop (because i cant) hope you like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Nice work, Mick. Those are some fantastic shots. The depth of field in that warehouse shot is amazing.

2x Canon 7D + batteries, filters and CF cards
    1x Canon 24 - 105mm L series f/4.0 lens
    1x Sigma 24 - 70mm f/2.8 HSM lens
    1x Sigma 18 - 250mm HSM f/4.0 lens
    1x Sigma 8 - 16 ultra wide angle f/4.0 lens
    Tripod w/ spirit meter and custom fixtures
    Think Tank Pro Gear Backpack w/ 17" Laptop compartment
    5 - 1 Reflectors (Black, Gold, Silver, White, Transparent)
    Pro White balance lens fixture
    Canon 430 EX II Speedlite + Diffusers

Most of my photos can be found on my website. http://www.anwarrizk.com/photography/

I'll most likely pick up the new Canon 24 - 70 f/2.8 L series once the mk.II version is released later next year. I also want to get either a Sigma or Canon 50mm f/1.4. I've heard mixed reviews about both, but they essentially do exactly the same thing. Minus build quality and aesthetic value.

I'm in love with the new Sigma 8 - 16 ultra wide angle lens. Here is an example of it in action in my mum's lounge room. Its essentially what they use for real estate/property sales.

Attached Files:

7. Lord Tim

Yep, I reckon I'm gonna grab one of those. What did you pay for it? Did you get it online?

EDIT: Top pics, Mick! And you already know I think your pics are good, Anwar!

8. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

Cheers Anwar much appreciated, i admire your work so i take that as a nice compliment

9. black_tooth_grin

No worries, Mick. I still consider myself an amateur. haha!

I picked up all my new gear at Ted's. They now sell refurbished stock. Its essentially floor stock that gets sent back to Canon and everything is replaced. Regardless if it needs to be replaced or not. I paid $799 for the Sigma ultra wide angle. It usually goes for around $1000 brand new.

Stay away from the Canon counterpart. It's a pile of shite. There is also a decent wide angle lens which Tonkia (I think that's the name) with an aperture of f/2.8. Not as wide angle as the Sigma, but still pretty decent.

10. Lord Tim

Here's a few I've done - I'll add more later. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lord Tim

I might look into the 2.8 - we use our cameras mostly for video stuff and usually light is a big issue. The unfortunate thing is we're limited as to what shutter speeds we can use because that can fuck with the motion of the video, so therefore limits what amount of light we can let in. With a f/4.5 that's easy with still photos - leave the shutter open a little longer. When you're stuck in 25p with a 1/50th shutter speed in video, you only have so much ISO to play with before you end up in noise city, so the faster the lens the better. That said, the ultra wide angle of your lens is awesome! Might be a decent trade-off if we light everything well. :)

12. black_tooth_grin

That's one mistake a lot of people make when buying a new lens. Its one thing to take an amazing photo, but another to have decent video footage with that same lens.

If your unsure about which lens to get in regards to video quality. Go to DPReview. They can give you a side-by-side comparison on all lens makes and models. http://www.dpreview.com/

They also have an up-to-date newsletter which tells you about the latest models coming out. They also have a round up of third party lenses if you don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of cash. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6080239570/roundup-third-party-lenses-for-enthusiasts

I'm unsure if you heard about the new Canon XF305. Videography wet dream. f/ 1.6 http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/Digital-Video-Cameras/Professional-Video-Cameras/XF305

As for lighting. You can buy cheap lighting and still get amazing results. I've found some amazing lighting at a generic store called Fotogenic. They technically rip off big brands, but repackage them as third party. I believe they're based in Sydney so you could head on over if you're unsure ofthe quality. http://www.fotogenic.com.au/index.php?gclid=CIrFj6uf0awCFYQkpAodsH1d1w

13. Lord Tim

Cool links! :)

The video camera is good but limited to its built-in lens. The colour space (4:2:2) is better than the 4:2:0 that the EOS series uses and MUCH better audio and pro connections, etc. but bang for buck and what you'd lose turns me off it a bit. There's another up and coming Canon video camera based on the DSL idea that addresses a lot of those gripes but it's WAY overpriced for what it offers. I've got my eye on a Phantom HD one day... $115,000 but hey, a guy can dream, right? :p

Lighting wise we're pretty set - we have a big range of PAR cans, a couple of LED light panels with adjustable K (brilliant for lighting a scene evenly), reflectors, etc. It's just sometimes that's not real, especially if we want to take advantage of ambient light (or lack of, and use the light of things like candles without it looking over-lit) or we have no way to lug a generator into the location, etc.

14. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

15. black_tooth_grin

The Phantom HD is insane. 1000FPS. 4K..or is it 2K?

Either way it shits over some of the stuff on the market at the moment. A lot of producers and directors are actually turning to flagship Canon bodies, or other for shooting movies and TV shows. The last two seasons of House were shot with a Canon 5D Mk. II and an assortment of high end lenses. However, they can splurge on ridiculous lighting. Ambient or otherwise. I'm sure you heard about this little movie which raped everyone on iTunes. http://www.petapixel.com/2011/07/21...th-a-canon-5d-rakes-in-200000-through-itunes/

Its amazing to see how far the tech has come in recent years, moreso when it gives visionaries and amateurs the chance to make their dreams a reality.

Have you heard of Red Digital Cinema Cameras? They've only been around for about 10 years or so.

From memory they shot Knowing, Pirates 4, Red Dwarf: Back to Earth and District 9 with "The Red One" which was up to 5K. Now they have "Epic Red" for The Hobbit, Silent Hill: Revelation and Avatar 2. However, you'd need to own a small island and then sell said island to afford the Epic series of video cameras. http://www.red.com/products/epic

16. Lord Tim

Yeah, the Red Epic looks awesome. Sadly also out of my price range right now. That and the phantom HD are perfect for compositing work with the resolution they have.

I tell you what, once you start to get into pro video and photography, you truly realise how important good scene lighting is. Mastering that is an art in itself.

17. black_tooth_grin

I have to deal with unpredictable lighting at every gig I go too. There have been a couple of gigs which have had amazing lighting, but majority seem to only use the most basic of lighting when they clearly have a whole palette of colour/tone and then some at their disposal...either that or the whole stage is covered in that revolting red stage light which looks like some chick had their period all over the stage. Fucking irritates me.

I haven't really delved into lighting outside of ambient/natural lighting. That's something I'll probably need to get into next if I want to be good at promo work.

18. Mean Bitch

Mean Bitch and her name was...

19. Lord Tim

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

[​IMG]

The blood moon earlier (?April) this year. Nikon D70s with a sigma 18-200.

Just prop it on the kids trampoline, manual focus and shoot.