This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Photography / Videography

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Dec 25, 2011.

1. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I recently gave my website a much needed make over. I wasn't entirely happy with the previous design.

Check it out and let me know what you think.
    http://www.anwarrizk.com/photography/

2. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

Thanks again guys!

Anwar, site looks great, congrats.

So, I just got back from a couple of days in Melbourne, and thought i'd go into some of the camera shops on Elizabeth street to have a play with a couple of the cameras. I found every salesman to about as helpful and welcome as skin cancer. Teds was the worst. The guy looked at me like I had jacked off on his daughter's bed when I asked him if I could handle one of the Nikons. Inquiries as to the availability of "ex-display models" or "refurbished second hand models" brought similar sneers of complete derision at Teds, at Michaels and blank looks of complete befuddlement, like they had been struck on the head with a hammer, at Camera House. Michaels sales guy told me to look at the Canons anyway, as they were better. I thought my reply of, "yeah, well, I've used my trusty FE10 for over 14 years now so I kinda have a loyalty to Nikon" might initiate some sort of interesting dialogue between us. Not the rolling of the eyes and the heavy sighs that it elicited instead. The whole experience was easily one of the least pleasant half hours I've spent this side of a VD clinic, and has firmly entrenched my resolve to shop solely online (which I was likely to do anyway, but seriously, I thought customer service in Darwin was bad, these guys took the triple-decker wedding cake).

Anyway, enough of that whinge. Can you explain the real advantage in layman's term to me of a full frame camera? Shooting video is just as important to me with this purchase as stills are, so if the difference is marked, then I'll happily spend more. I was seriously looking into the Nikon D7000, but I see the Nikon D800 is being released next month, which is a full frame camera, which has piqued my interest.

TIA again :)

3. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

OK, well in brief, on a full frame sensor camera:

1. You have more pixels getting light, which means better images if you want to break it all down. With video you won't see too much of a difference but you will in full resolution images. That said, unless you're planning to do massive blow-ups or anything, the difference is fairly negligible IMO.

2. You'll get around a stop of better light sensitivity, so you'll get less grainy images in low light.

3. Your 50mm lens is indeed 50mm, so if you're used to working out focal distance, you don't have to multiply by the crop factor to work out what the actual focal distance is.

... that's really about it.

Generally on the full frames (and I know this is true for the difference between the Canon 7D and the 5Dmk2) you'll get slightly better features on the full-frame, but that's not always the case. The 1D is a sensational camera (with a price tag to match, mind you!) but I'd argue that the 7D is a far better camera for video work, even with its crop sensor.

Honestly, unless you're not always planning to shoot in very low light and don't like the grain it introduces by bumping the ISO up, you're not planning of doing any large format photos and you don't sit there with a tape measure working out focal distance and instead just use your eye and experience to guide you, you probably won't get much of an advantage out of a full frame. If you have the spare money, sure - absolutely grab it - but I'd personally get a crop and spend what you save on some great glass to put in front of it. :)

4. black_tooth_grin

The Nikon D800 has 36.4 megapixels sensor. Unless you want to take pictures of the moon, be prepared to buy large CF/SDXC cards and an unlimited supply of harddrives.

You'll always get bias sales people in any store. They're conditioned to like or sell one thing, and one thing only. Have a chat with Kane Hibberd next time you're in the city. He's very helpful.

http://theartofcapture.com

Micheals do hire out there stock. You could essentially hire out a Nikon and a Canon and make your choice that way. However, its $150 to hire a camera for one day, minus a lens of course.

5. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

Thanks again guys - much appreciated.

6. Lord Tim

Here's a few shots I did for the new Germ album. They're intentionally off-centered / selectively focussed because there'll be text over parts of them. All shot with my 50mm f/1.4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one especially was interesting because we got some great textures of the fences in the foreground and we did a long exposure (I think 20 seconds?) shot so we'd get car tail light streaks in the background. It was on ISO 100 and I think f/16, so really closed down so I could do the long shot without having to resort to ND filters or anything like that.

The other two were wide open at f/1.4 to get that great depth of focus.

EDIT: Facebook really doesn't do image quality any justice, does it? :/

7. black_tooth_grin

Facebook is crud when it comes to displaying hi-res images.

8. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

stuffin about inside yesterday, not the greatest shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. black_tooth_grin

A couple of photos I took at the Soundwave Festival in Melbourne this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full gallery here!

10. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Holy shit man, you got some awesome shots! How long did they give you in front of each band?

11. black_tooth_grin

Thanks mate.

Three songs, no flash. A standard at all gigs.

12. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

13. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

new lens today, Sigma 28-200mm now to learn how to use it properly

14. black_tooth_grin

I currently own the Sigma 18 - 250mm (Canon mount) and its painfully slow, even with HSM and OS (IS Canon equivalent) indoors.

I haven't used it in a very long time. Unless there is an abundance of light I find it highly unlikely that I'll ever use it. However, that's not to say the lens is a pile of shit...far from it.

If you're using a steady tripod and have a small aperture, then you wont have any issues capturing some amazing scenery or a portrait. Even with the HSM feature of the lens. At times I find it very slow to lock onto a target. Outdoors is where the lens really shines. Unless you're using a softbox or an alternative light source indoors. Your photos are going to look grainy, noisy and quite revolting.

Technically its an outdoor lens as its a telephoto lens. However, you can still use it for portraits, but its best used outdoors. I find the body of the lens quite tacky. Its very plastic like and doesn't have that bulky/magnesium alloy feel like the mid to high end Sigma lenses. This is just a personal opinion. Don't let my views of one lens doubt your purchase. It all comes down to how you use the lens, not how expensive it is. I personally just find the lens slow for what I want.

Check out www.dpreview.com for useful tips on the lens. You can also watch DigitalRev on Youtube. However, they're quite bias at times with what they review and rarely touch low end lenses. They're brutality honest though.

These videos may give you some helpful hints.
    http://youtu.be/GesYNhPCvoM

http://youtu.be/1DZNoyZUVzY

15. black_tooth_grin

16. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

guys i need some help, when shooting indoors with low light and needing a fast shutter speed how do i set up my camera?? i tried today and ended up having to use my flash which i didnt want to do, all help greatly appreciated...

something from today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. black_tooth_grin

Taking good shots indoors is a mix between leveling your f stop (aperture), metering system and ISO levels. When shooting indoors, most photographers use a lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or higher. The higher the aperture, the more light comes into the lens.

Not all photographers can get there hands on a 24 - 70 f/2.8 lens. A stock standard for all music and indoor photographers. There are some simple ways to improve your images, but its not always the camera that takes the best photos, but the lens itself.

Firstly, switch to RAW mode. RAW mode is an uncompressed version of the image that you take. Since its uncompressed, you can make alterations to it in post production with Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop or similar programs. JPEG's can have the same alterations, but RAW files allows a little more room for improvement and allows you to dramatically change the white balance, hue, saturation and so forth. The only downside (if its considered one) is that every RAW file that you do take is 10MB or larger is size.

Secondly, try using Manual mode for everything. This will give you complete freedom to change the ISO levels, shutter speed, f/stop and metering system without fumbling in the dark to turn the dial to a priority mode.

Next, switch to AL FOCUS or AL SERVO. This will tell the camera to continually focus on moving objects and do the best it can to follow what you're trying to shoot.

Next, set your metering system to a spot, center weight or partial metering systems. This will cut back on over exposure and give the image a more natural look.

Once you have these locked in for the entire show. You can get some pretty decent shots out of whatever camera you're using. Just remember that having a high aperture isn't always everything, as you will have to change to a lower aperture when more lighting is involved.

David Bergman, a professional music and sports photography has some helpful hints.

Also, if you want some good insight into taking good landscape photography. Have a chat with Andy from Mortal Sin. He's currently doing some great things.
    http://www.facebook.com/andreweftichiouphotography

#97 black_tooth_grin, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  18. Lord Tim

^^ This. Good advice. :)

19. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

cheers Anwar, the wife doesnt like you as i am now on yet another lens hunt.. great advice mate much appreciated

20. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member