This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Photography / Videography

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Dec 25, 2011.

1. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Just remember that you don't have to buy the lens from an Australian outlet, nor do you need to buy a top of the range lens to get what you desire. A Sigma 24 - 70 f/2.8 can set you back around $800 - $1000 apposed to the Canon or Nikon version which will set you back $1800 - $2200 (depending if its the f/2.8 L II USM series or Nikon equivalent). Try certified sellers on eBay or online stores like the ones below.

http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/ - Great prices on lenses and accessories
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ - Great prices on CF and SD memory card
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/DigitalRev-AU-Photography-Shop?_rdc=1 - Reliable camera outlet based in Hong Kong with ridiculously low prices

Keep in mind that as soon as the item arrives in Australia and the box is opened the warranty will be void. However, if you insure the lens or camera it won't matter. Also keep in mind that our dollar is quite strong at the moment and its a great time to buy from Hong Kong. People have this phobia of buying from Hong Kong but forget to realise that most of these parts are made in Japan, Taiwan or Hong Kong.

If you buy it from Australia you're just paying for the freight cost.

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

I've gotten the great bulk of my lenses from Hong Kong and they've been awesome and DRAMATICALLY cheaper than retail outlets in Australia.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from staring wistfully through the window of Ted's at the L series lenses wanting to buy it NOW NOW NOW! HAHA!

3. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

4. black_tooth_grin

DX is a cropped sensor for cropped DSLR cameras. You will only be able to use DX lenses. FX is full frame and is only used on flagship Nikon models like the D3S, D3X and the recent D4.

The sharpness on the Nikkor 35mm is quite insane, with bokeh to much. I personally haven't used the lens myself, but after viewing numerous tests it actually stacks up better than the Sigma 35mm f/1.4. The Sigma may have an extra f stop but there is distortion around the lens with instants of over exposure. The Nikon does have some distortion, but the sharpness makes up for its lack of bokeh. The lenses are relatively the same price, but it all comes down to what you really want. Keep in mind that the 35mm is a prime lens.

This may help you decide.

Thats a good price though. The Nikkor 35mm is around $350 brand new in Australia so you've just saved yourself $100 and extra with no shipping costs. Plus you get a free UV filter. Unless you're shooting in RAW UV filters only come in handy protecting the lens.

#104 black_tooth_grin, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

ok after a lot of deliberation i have decided to go for a more broad spectrum lens and get a 18-200mm, now the question which one is best Nikkor, Sigma or Tamron. i have watched videos and read reviews and have not really got anywhere if any of you gents could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

here are some im looking at
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamron-1...37491182?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item45ed826cee

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16076958...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1282

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12072926...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2351wt_1285

6. black_tooth_grin

A prime lens will come in handy in any situation. You already have the 28 - 200mm Sigma zoom lens. Why buy another zoom lens when you only have one camera?

Tameron are poorly made lenses. They do offer a cheap alternative, but that's about it. You're seriously wasting your money if you buy a Tameron. There essentially kit lenses.

Sigma do have a solid range of zoom lenses, but are considered middle of the road when it comes to quality. Nikon are the pick of the bunch for obvious reasons.

Keep in mind that the lenses you showed me on eBay are second hand/used and probably have several months of wear and tear. Regardless of the prices, you're still getting ripped off. Try and find certified sellers with brand new stock. When it comes to lenses its always better to buy it brand new or refurbished. Never buy anything second hand. The Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR is roughly $1000 so use that as a guide.

7. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

true about the 28-200, i shot with it today and it is absolute shit indoors, so it will be put on ebay and replaced, cheers anwar i will look at the nikkor and sigma lenses

8. black_tooth_grin

Thats why its good to get a prime lens. There great indoors and for portraits.

You're wasting your money by buying a new lens which does exactly the same thing as the one you have now. The only difference is that the Sigma has an extra 10mm of zoom to work with. They both have exactly the same aperture, yet the Nikon 18 - 200mm has VR (Vibration-Reduction). Unless you're shooting something with an extremely low shutter speed, you won't need VR.

9. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

This is a very useful thread, thanks to knowledgeable people like yourself, Anwar. I shall revisit these posts when I've got the dosh for an SLR!

10. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I have the sigma zoom and I'm pretty happy with it. I also have a nikon 50mm prime which is most certainly better for light gathering. I use it for photographing the night sky at a very basic level and it clearly outperforms the sigma in low or extremely low light. Of course the versatility of the sigma means that for happy snaps it is nearly always attached to the camera during daytime.

11. black_tooth_grin

No problem. I was in the same situation at one point. haha

@ bsercombe
    Best results come from setting your camera and lens to manual. Set your lens to infinite, have a relatively narrow aperture (f stop), switch to bulb exposure for extended exposures and get yourself a shutter release cable.

Even the most basic night sky imagery looks great.
    [​IMG]

12. Lord Tim

Gotta do that on a pretty still night if you have a lot of trees in the way because the movement blur of the branches can wreck the shot a bit but you can get some damn impressive results really easily using this method. :)

13. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I do most of that sans the release cable. The small initial wobble doesn't seem to make much difference when you're integrating a long exposure unless there is something bright in the frame- most of mine are just stars.

14. black_tooth_grin

To be honest, you actually don't really need a release cable for night photography. But it does come in handy. A lot of people just set the timer to 2 or 10 seconds and that usually gets rid of any minor shake.

Mind if I see some of your photos?

15. black_tooth_grin

16. black_tooth_grin

Wow! The new 5D Mk III is a tank. Anyone have a spare $4500? lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNtwMZGp1hc&feature=g-all-u&context=G2cbebafFAAAAAAAAAAA[/ame]

17. Lord Tim

Ooh, checking that video out now! The specs look good from what I've seen. :)

And here's something to give you guys some chills - this monster lives in my driveway. (Photo taken with my Galaxy S-II)

[​IMG]

18. Lord Tim

Also the girl in that 5DmkIII video is hot. I'd get the camera if she came with it! :p

19. black_tooth_grin

Haha me too. Its a decent camera. If things work out I might be able to get one at the end of the year.

20. Lord Tim

Not quite enough on there to justify me dropping the extra money on it, but I do like the combination of the best bits of the 5DmkII and 7D in one. If you never had either camera, that would be an absolute winner. :)