This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Post Whoring - random stuff goes here

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Funny, all you really have to do is get on Home and Away and your future in Hollywood is almost assured.

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

It's a foot in the door. Alot of people would head to Hollywood dreaming of stardom with NO real experience or exposure

For every Aussie actor who's gone over and made something of themselves, there's been plenty that have tried and failed

3. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

They're just delusional. Shows like The X Factor turning ordinary people into instant stars don't help. If I had a kid who wanted to be a movie star, I'd get them a camera, point them to YouTube and tell them to start working. :D Maybe see if there's any local work available, eg. advertisements. I wonder how many of the kids don't even want to be there.

I have a friend that moved to LA, and he's interested in working in the writing side of things. He's been struggling to hold any job, but he's working on his own projects in the meantime, and that helps build his portfolio.

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

The same goes for music, sports, modelling, beauty contests, etc.

In Australia when they did stats for the highest unemployed out of any profession, actors topped the poll. The stats can be deceiving though, many call themselves actors and have never had a role, one bozo I met would put down actor/model as his career when filling out forms, he didn't ever have any work or even training for that matter in either profession - total dreamer!

s

5. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

It's worse than that. Those shows give the illusion that anyone can do it, while in reality the people who you actually see (other than in those clips making fun of the ones who aren't that good) have been carefully hand-chosen and excessively groomed. In fact many are actually professionals. My wife used to know one of the non-star partners on Dancing With The Stars - somebody who dances on TV as a career in other words, she was actually approached by the network to appear as a contestant on Strictly Dancing. She only refused because the contract was too binding and she was making more money on the show she was on. Normal folk don't have a hope in hell, and the "auditions" exist only to mock them.

No, ads are no good either. They're mostly sewn up by those agencies who charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars to put together a portfolio for your kid. It's all exploitation and lots of bills. Youtube might work, I don't know, isn't that how Justin Bieber did it? Or is that just the story?

6. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

At the same time though they do make a spectacle out of those who think they can sing, dance, etc. It would put doubt in the minds of many who aren't confident in their abilities.

It's all about what makes good viewing, I've heard that some decent singers were knocked back during audition, not even appearing on the show and some didn't make it to the audition simply on appearance, they went through the queues outside culling people before they auditioned.

That sounds about right, if you recall how many 'back up' singers and musical theatre professionals were competing in The Voice.

There's often stories on casting agents for actors/models that are just a front to get you to pay their excessive photography fees. The good ones usually have closed books and are very select in who they choose, some scout at acting school graduations, theatre performances, etc. Getting on their books can be as hard as landing a role itself.

s

7. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

When I said local, I was thinking more along the lines of approaching businesses down the street in a small town and seeing if they'd be interested in having an amateur ad made for little effort on their part. Music videos for local bands would be another one. Doesn't really matter whether it makes it to local TV or just the web, it's still experience. Far better than going to Hollywood and draining the bank accounts waiting for something to happen.

8. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

In regards to "talent shows", it's a widely known fact that the first stages of those shows are rigged to all hell. Plenty of "talented" people have been passed over before getting on tv because they don't have a good "story"

If those shows teach us anything, it should be that you can only be a star if you

a - where bullied as a teen
    b - come from a broken home
    c - are gay
    d - are overweight
    e - all of the above

9. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Was going to make a new thread about this but decided to stick it here.

Here is the link to the novella that I am submitting for my Honours degree in Creative Writing: http://fav.me/d5k43vz
    It's based upon the Japanese supernatural Light Novel style (without illustrations), complete with similar themes and cliches.

I currently require feedback within the week on coherency of narrative, continuity within the story, character construction, grammar, et cetera et cetera.

If you have a Deviant Art account, please comment there. If not, please use this thread.

Know that I ma asking a bit but the story doesn't take very long to read.

thanks in advance

Shadow

10. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I'm having trouble following the style, I assume it's because I haven't had a lot of Japanese culture. I doubt I'll be able to offer much because of that. But I can admire your talent.

One thing that jumped out at me was this: “You are such a useless servant,” she chided. “But we shall have to endure you until our maid
    arrives. We told our mother that one was not required but she was most insistent in the matter. So until then
    we have no choice except to persist with you
    .” She's saying she didn't want a servant but also that she wants the servant. Maybe she could say something like "Mother was so insistent I have one, then didn't bother ensuring the girl would be here for my arrival."

I will keep reading and see if I can offer anything else.

11. Shadow298

Yes, you lack the tsundere translation tool. She basically says the opposite of what she means.
    So in that bit she is saying how much help she finds him but can't express it properly.
    It's pretty much a genre reference.

12. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Ah. Well, it's all too alien for me to be of any use to you. Sorry.

13. Shadow298

All good, no worries. :)

14. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

She's saying she didn't want a servant, but she won't defy her mother's insistence.

Anyway, women saying one thing and meaning another is universal isn't it? :p I enjoyed the story despite knowing almost nothing about Japanese fiction.

15. Shadow298

pretty much, yeah.

and glad that you liked it. :)

16. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

You know how a TARDIS is bigger on the inside? That was invented by a Time Lord who saw how 1 toddler can take up an entire queen size bed.

17. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Now that is something I can relate to. Damn kids!

18. Shadow298

If anyone is interested in reading my completed honours thesis and having their brains burnt by how messed up and confusing my arguments are, click here: http://fav.me/d5l4952

19. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Sure is quiet around these parts these days hey?

20. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Dead, forums are dead.

Blame farcebook.

s