This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Post Whoring - random stuff goes here

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I'd rather come here. It's much more enlightening. Please people, do some post whoring to keep me entertained.

Only three days until Festivus!

2. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

The Mayan apocalypse?

3. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

[​IMG]

s

4. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Someone pointed out a couple of days ago... when the Mayan calender was created, it didn't account for leap years. So technically the world should have ended about 7 months ago

5. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

6. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I totally invented this joke on Twitter by the way. Or I stole it from someone else and forgot. One of the two. Long story short, the joke was stolen by somebody from somebody.

7. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

So what's the next "world's gonna end" date to look forward to?

TBH I did feel a little apprehensive on 21/12 even while telling myself that those feelings were entirely stupid. Must be all the survivalist novels I've been reading lately!! haha.

8. Celestial-Todd

Well that's Nostradamus and the Mayans accounted for now... not sure if there where any other widely publicised doomsday dates

9. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

There are hundreds of widely publicised doomsday dates. It's just that nobody ever remembers them after they don't happen. In fact, the next one is in May, as predicted by Ronald Weinland and his Church of God Preparing for the Kingdom of God. This guy predicted that the world would end in 2008 and then when that didn't happen, 2012. It was a very big thing back in May, there were lots of jokes and stuff, some people took it seriously, it was all over the media, very much like the Mayan thing. But now nobody remembers. Anyway, Mr Weinland, after Jesus didn't turn up a second time, announced that the end of the world had in fact started, but it would take a full year for it to happen, and Jesus wouldn't make his entrance until May 2013. Mr Weinland's church still has many followers.

In fact in my lifetime alone there have been well over 50 widely publicised - and believed - doomsday predictions. There seems to be something in the human brain that's prone to panic at the sky falling, but quickly purge the event from memory as soon as the threat doesn't come through. We all do it, me included. It's weird. Also tragic, since there is a lot of fear, scams, people lose their property, people even die needlessly.

10. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

You're kidding, that sort of thing just doesn't happen on the internet.

Nostradamus is so ambiguous you can recycle his predictions every few decades. He's somehow very accurate at predicting the past.

s

11. Celestial-Todd

I watched a doco on Nostradamus once that basically explained that ALL of his "correct" predictions are writing intentionally ambiguous enough that you could pinpoint several different times in history that it could be used. ie, people who say he predicted Hitler. That same prediction could have been used to predict Stalin or the Japanese in WW2

It's easy to read something after the event and go "oh yeah... that's sorta like what happened here"

12. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

They did that with the twin towers, there was something in his writing about 'two brothers falling', that same prediction was used previously for the Kennedy slayings.

s

13. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Are you two calling Bruce Dickinson a liar? ARE YOU?!

14. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

15. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Finally thought of a term for a musical phenomena that has been floating around my brain for a while: Metalhead Cassandra Syndrome AKA Reverse Hipsterism.

Ever found a a cool band randomly (torrent, review site, youtube, et cetera) but you can't find any solid info on them elsewhere online (such as Metal Archives), so no one believes you that they are a real band (like Cassandra in Greek mythology telling prophesies but no one believing her).
    Also called Reverse Hipsterism because you want everyone to know about the band and refuse to keep it to yourself.

16. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I don't believe that's ever happened ;)

17. Shadow298

happens with me and a band called The Chant.
    Can never find any info on them and no songs posted to youtube.
    Know that they have 2 albums out but nothing beyond their album Ghostlines that I randomly downloaded years ago.

18. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Heh. This guy suffered it: http://forum.nzmetal.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=646&p=8825

Some of the mp3s in my digital collection have far outlived the online information about the bands in question. In some cases I downloaded directly from band members, and there was never any information online. It's a bit better than having information and no songs, though!

19. Shadow298

similar to that, yes.

Another version of Metalhead Cassandra Syndrome is when you find a band that you think is awesome and epic and all that but when you tell people about them, they either look up a really terrible song or get the names mixed up with another similarly named but awful band (see Katatonia and Catatonia). So no one believes you when you say how good the band you heard is.

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

errr.

Maybe I have the wrong band...

They have four albums- looks like all of it is on last.fm - album names are:

Ghostlines - 2008
    01. Green Waters
    02. Footmen
    03. Ghostlines
    04. Ode To The End (Thank You)
    05. Cold Comfort
    06. Wayfarer / Ghostlines Reprisal
    07. Crown
    08. The Breakdown
    09. Secret Societies
    10. The Only Friend

This is the world we know - 2010
    A Healing Place - 2012
    Breakdown - not sure, might be an EP

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHoVX8QSKk"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHoVX8QSKk[/ame]

http://www.thechant.net

www.myspace.com/thechantofficial

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Chant/+charts?rangetype=6month&subtype=tracks

The Chant - This Is The World We Know
    14 April 2010

01. New Reality
    02. Reflected
    03. November 1987
    04. The Black Ascension
    05. Will You Follow
    06. Safe World
    07. Common Price
    08. Armored Man
    09. Relativity

Suomi metal
    Recorded: Drop Hammer Studios/Sound Track Studios/South Curve Studios, Finland 2009
    Label: Full Metal Music
    Total Running Time: 48:19

You can really hear The Chant live in a Nordic country where it freezes most of the time. Shimmers of dark winter melancholy and flashes of the calming warmth of a fireplace keep seeping into these songs from all sides. This is music made to move you.

Using glossy and straightforward rock music with some metal hiccups, The Chant easily finds the gateway into suomi metal. Catchy rock hooks are woven together by soothing guitar lines and compelling piano parts. In that event, This Is The World We Know - an album dealing with mental isolation btw - fosters a special kind of atmosphere that is tranquil as well as dolorous.

The real icing on the cake though, is the ever soulful voice of Ilpo Paasela; a voice that almost literally pours melancholy. His somber vocals are mostly clean, without ever sounding whiny, at times backed up with some blistering screams. Paasela 's warm and strong vocals couldn't be more fitting for this kind of mellow music, giving the album even more depth and vigor.

The Chant is perhaps still a little too radio rock-driven to come anywhere close to that acclaimed Ghost Brigade-like melancholic mood. Nonetheless This Is The World We Know rolls in as a good-to-great album with a clean and streamlined touch, that will undoubtedly turn a lot of heads, with its gloomy atmosphere warming the cockles of many hearts.